Drafting a QB DOES NOT reset the GM clock

greg23

Liked Posts:
"Resetting the Clock" is a media narrative. There's a lot more that goes into it, that often gets oversimplified into a soundbyte so idiot fans like you can better digest it.
Cost controlled for 4 years + option for 5th at lower than actual worth (if good)

Vs

1 year of cost control + 6 months away from picking up 5th year at high price tag (for qb still unsure about)

That's the very definition of resetting the salary clock at the position...but whatever.

If fields was clearly the guy and a top tier qb; none if this would matter; his 5th year option would be picked up or long term contract negotiated and #1 pick dealt for a boatload.......but he's not.....so reseting the salary clock at the position is a factor

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
"Resetting the Clock" is a media narrative. There's a lot more that goes into it, that often gets oversimplified into a soundbyte so idiot fans like you can better digest it.
Guess the concept of "opportunity cost" is foreign to you or i.e. a "media narrative?"

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Mighty meatballmjy calling people idiots is rather rich.

The guys been following/posting for 20+ years and you'd think as much as he "digests* he'd graduate from football stupid to well informed fan by now.

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Mighty meatballmgy calling people idiots is rather rich.

The guys been following/posting for 20+ years and you'd think as much as he "digests* he'd graduate from football stupid to well informed fan by now.
It's admirable in a way, also really provides new sources of entertainment, sometimes hourly.

Did you see he thought Ron Rivera would make a good OC to replace Getsy today?

Or that getsy is distancing himself from himself?

CTA_employee9

Liked Posts:
I agree that the idea of a GM clock is not at all going to a factor in Poles' and Warren's and the hopefully new HC's decision regarding Fields. The rookie contract versus 5th year option is a more viable discussion but in essence the decision will be predicated on the 3 years of tape and the vision of front office and HC as well as the analysis of the draft class. If I were to bet on an outcome - my money at this point would be on them selecting a QB if they possess either the #1 or #2 pick - but I am not certain of that at this point.

Hopefully for the Bears sake a new, legitimate HC will have a say in this situation instead of us constantly letting coaches and GM's play the game of non-consensual inheritance.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree that drafting a QB doesn't reset a GM's clock. There are plenty of GMs who have had the chance to pick multiple QBs. Letting a GM pick a new coach is more indicative of a clock being reset for a GM. An organization will rarely let a GM pick another HC if they weren't willing to keep the GM for another couple of years.

The second part.... not sure I fully agree with that.

In recent history, the NFL's model for success has been to build a solid team around a QB on a rookie contract. Philly has Hurts on a rookie deal, and they're stacked. The 49ers have Purdy on a rookie deal and they're stacked. Bengals have Burrow on a rookie deal, and they're stacked (Burrow is just injured). The Seahawks were most dominant with Wilson on his rookie deal. Chiefs were stacked with Mahomes on his rookie deal. The Chargers were able to add a ton of talent around Herbert, they just can't stay healthy. But the point is, they had the extra cash to attempt to make big moved. You get the point.

Sure, you can still have a solid team with a veteran QB on a large deal, but those QBs are usually the best in the league and you can afford to lack in other areas. Mahomes is a good example of that. They won one on his rookie deal, and the first year of his massive contract. But he's Patrick fuckin' Mahomes. Also, we're seeing how it's starting to impact them a year later with weak WRs and a stalemate with Chris Jones.

To improve our odds of winning a championship within 5 years, a rookie QB makes the most sense. If we hit on a QB, we've got the cap space and time to put together a stacked team around that QB and have a real shot at winning a Super Bowl with some luck.

That type of window for Fields is open for only 2 more years. We have quite a few positions that we need to strengthen to have a legit chance at competing, and I don't think we can accomplish that in 2 years.

mecha

Liked Posts:
@Mighty Joe Young just a suggestion, since nobody here will ever take you seriously and your dislike count will continue to increase, you should just give up.

every post of yours I see my brain just goes "TL;DR" and I don't read but the 3 words I see scrolling down.

I don't have any influence on who the head coach or starting quarterback for the Bears are going to be, I don't care. thanks

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The 2018 season reset Pace’s clock, not drafting Trubisky

Maybe so but Trubsiky was a part of that season and the point is your example of Fields drafted in year 7 doesnt prove your point.

The kicker double-doink short-circuited Nagy, which killed any chance Pace had of getting an extended clock.

Except he got 3 more years after the double doink. Pace was hear for 7 years which is unusual for one with so little playoff success.