Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
This defense has turned into an aggressive one, something we started to see before Sweat joined the team. I am okay with Flus staying on so long as the defense stays aggressive. I still question his decisions and with the first overall pick nearly locked up, I think the business move is to fire him and use the high draft picks to entice the best coaching prospect next year. But hey, you dont deserve to get fired the day after a win like we had yesterday!

Doesn't change the fact that he should find a new OC. Yesterday, my mom called out that silly 4th down run with Moore.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
I've heard it more than a few times from reporters that Eberflus was adamant when he was hired that he wanted to be the overseer and not be calling defensive plays. It's possible that has changed with the Bears success since he took over, but that is a concern of mine, that if he stays someone else starts calling plays again.
Hard to believe it will happen. Only way this happens is if Poles forces him to relive himself from calling plays, but that requires hiring a guy Poles and Flus trust or promote a position coach. This is actually a recipe for failure and one the Bears would do if they ultimately want to get rid of Flus rather than keeping things the way they are.

Rise

Liked Posts:
That's basically the very reason why any new OC or DC would qualify to become a coach anyway. So whoever you choose out there (that hasn't become a HC previously) is gonna give you the same thing on paper.

Yeah but they haven’t had their chance as a HC so maybe they will be good at that job. We know Eberflus is not.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Literally like every young player on this team is improving besides velus drop jr.

Not sure I agreee with the first sentence.
Never said players aren’t improving. Good coaches elevate players’ performance above their talent level.

What players would you say are playing above their talent level?

To me, the progress we see is just in line with the talent we know they have. I give the coaches credit for not screwing that up, but I see no evidence of the Bears at large playing above their talent level.

greg23

Liked Posts:
What if he finishes 0-4 getting outscored 100-40?

Still deserve another year?

I'd say he's given himself a chance at being retained (but also acknowledge that Poles probably likes him way more than any of us think)

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I can't see Poles whacking him, if he does my mind will be blown. What I'm really curious about is if they get a new OC if it will be an arranged marriage because Flus clearly has a problem with his ASST picke

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Because he will want his defensive co to call the plays, which is what happens the great majority of the time...which is what was the case last year and this year until our def co resigned.

Vegas has big odds that the defensive co will be calling the plays if Flus stays next year.
Well, right now he has a defensive consultant Phil Snow who helps him put together the defensive game plan. You could keep him in that role or move him to DC with Flus still calling plays.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
You can't deny his ability to actually call a good game on D. That's why the Bears got him and the past few weeks the D has been playing night and day compared to when Williams was calling plays. Sure we got Sweat but even before that, you can see the D was connecting. Increased blitzes, and it's great to see our young corners Stevenson and Smith doing really well. Jaylon Johnson looks the part and has been playing really well. Our LB's are getting better. Point is, I don't care who the opponent is, it's very obvious the D has been getting better in almost every position. I feel like this was perhaps the missing piece (at least on D) all along. Having Williams call the plays for whatever reason just wasn't working. Flus has a way of reading the O and adjusting and it shows.

Looking the O side, that's where things get messy on this team. This could turn out to be a team like we had in the Lovie years, but I really hope they get things turned around on the O. Something needs to be done with Fields ability to find not only his first read, and this is something that kills me about him. Sure, the line does cause him to be timid but seriously, he need to do a better job of that. I don't even know if a new coordinator can really teach that skill to be honest, but here's to hoping it works.
I agree on Flus and the players seem to like him and play hard for him, my issue is if he didn't agree with the crap Williams was calling he should have changed it as the HC.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
What Everflus has proven is that he is a good DC, that’s it. I don’t think he deserves another year just because he finally won 2 in a row. He still is horrible situationally and he doesn’t have control of the offense. He is the HC he is responsible for everything.

Now if I was another team and I needed a DC for sure I’d take Flus. I’d be nervous about it though because I have yet to see his defense really shut down a good QB. Even with the Colts he got waxed with the playoffs on the line by the Jaguars.
Goff's stats put him in the top 5-6 in the league. next question?

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Deserves?

Lol Bears fans expectations are so low, I mean he's still the worst coach in Bears history from a win loss perspective right?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
What if he finishes 0-4 getting outscored 100-40?

Still deserve another year?

I'd say he's given himself a chance at being retained (but also acknowledge that Poles probably likes him way more than any of us think)
If they fall off and don't win 2 or more of the last 4 and look good losing he is toast, period.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Honest to god the way he handled the massive PR issues and kept the players and coaches heads in the game was pretty good.. I thought he did good last year keeping the team engaged as well in an obvious tank scenario.
Biggest concern is the team came out alarmingly flat.. They looked like the worst team in the league first few games. He needs to give management a good explanation why and solid solutions to prevent that from happening . Also he needs to hand Getsy a loaf out the door.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Has the defense truly improved or is it more of a by product of playing worse offenses? For the season, they're still in the bottom 10 of points allowed per game. The best QB they've played since Kirk Cousins in week 6 are Jared Goff and Derek Carr so not exactly elite QBs. He's 8-22 overall and beaten 3 teams with a winning record in 2 seasons - Vikings (7-6) and Lions (9-5) this year while SF in a monsoon week 1 last year.

I don't believe the Bears will be winning anything of substance with the current coaching staff or GM so I'd prefer they all go.

This is some sleight of hand. You ask if they played worse offenses but the reference QBs. An offense is more than a QB.

The Lions offense is top 10. Goff has 6 games with 100 or better passer rating and 10 of 13 games 85 or better. His 2 worse games this year are against the Bears. The only other game where he had a 68 or worse passer rating is the Ravens.

The D had played well. Period.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He got his shot and he failed. He deserves to be shown the door.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Winning the turnover battle definitely helps the defense look great. Still going back to the first Detroit game with the epic collapse, I still have My questions on Eberflus. Even yesterday's win, how in the world St. Brown got open on those two passes he dropped is a major red flag. Eberflus defense win protecting a lead still scares me and I'm not sold that. He can get over his conservative tendencies. Very much like Lovie he goes bend don't break down the stretch in close games.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Good coaches elevate players’ performance above their talent level. I don’t see that with the Bears.

Also, I do not trust Eberflus to hire the right people. This is the guy who hired Alan Williams, Luke Getsy and the Mercyherst coach,

It’s just as likely a new coaching staff gets just as much out of the defense and helps the offense turn it around.

I would prefer a clean break from Matt, but I also cannot argue against the success the defense is having.

I can give the devil his due even when I don't like him - how you don't see the defense of level elevated comma especially since we got sweat, makes it seem like you're not really looking and you just want to stick to a previously held opinion.

Keep in mind I am saying this is someone who also wants him gone but just is up front with the reality of the situation.

Honestly if I were in the position of Ryan Poles right now, I would not fire Matt, on the condition that I get to pick his staff. I would be willing to take input from him on defense but I would want total control over the offensive coordinator pick. Luke would be gone.

And then I would find the best defensive coordinator I could who gets on with Matt and might even let him have whoever he wants knowing that if they fail Matt can step in again, but whoever I bring in to be the offense of coordinator would also be an assistant head coach and someone who, if Matt gives me reason to doubt him again, can step in as interim head coach with the potential to give them that position full time.

That way there's a level of continuity with the players in the locker room and we don't lose years or momentum relearning systems because we had to clean house. A sort of in case of emergency soft coup of the HC spot if you will.

And I'd be in heavy to bring Eric Bieniemy to fulfill that role ( provided the expected happens and Ron Rivera is fired at the end of the season)....

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He got his shot and he failed. He deserves to be shown the door.

He coached a rebuild year. If this year the team rallies and ends up from here on out only losing one more game, it might have been ugly but you can't say he fully failed....

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless a new DC is buddy buddy with Eberflus, what, who would take the DC job knowing full well, a couple of bad games and the HC is taking the play calling away from you???? Because, you know, everyone here, the fans will be chanting for Flus to take the D play calling back over.

Who takes that DC job?