Emery confirms Bears are interested in Allen.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
So, I guess Biggs and Dickerson were 100% wrong in that one. I really am curious where these guys get their sources sometimes.. Yesterday Biggs said Bears aren't in play and Dickerson confirmed they aren't intnerested..

CHICAGO (CBS) — Bears general manager Phil Emery doesn’t mind talking about players not currently on a roster, and that’s exactly what he did Wednesday when Jared Allen’s name came up.

“We’re going to look at a number of players — obviously, Jared is one of those,” Emery admitted.

The former Vikings defensive end turns 32 next month, which doesn’t exactly fit the Bears’ preference to get younger on defense, but they still need another pass rusher for next season. Allen remained productive in 2013, accumulating 11.5 sacks, 29 quarterback knockdowns and nine quarterback hurries, according to STATS.

“Jared has been a great pass rusher in the league,” Emery said. “What will happen is some of those players will find teams right away. They’ll be a quick opportunity, but then there will be a settling out period where they’re going to look for the right fit. Well, he would certainly have a good fit here and a great opportunity, so we’ll see how that comes together.”

Allen is currently feeling out the market and based on his production last season probably still thinks he commands a good amount of value and a multi-year contract. An NFL Network report Wednesday indicated Allen is willing to retire if he doesn’t get “his fair value.”

That could make him a tough match for the Bears, who ideally would only want Allen on one-year contract as they develop a younger pass rusher behind him.

Allen joins free agents like Justin Tuck and Julius Peppers on a market that has been slow for older pass rushers so far. Things heated up a little bit Wednesday when DeMarcus Ware signed with the Broncos for a reported $30 million over three years, a deal that may inflate the price for Allen.

“Some of those guys’ll be sitting around for a couple weeks,” Emery said. “If history proves correct, some of them’ll still be sitting there in June. They want to find the right fit and be paid a certain amount, so the market takes a little to settle out, and do they want to play. So we’re going to be patient and see how it works out.”

In other words, the Bears are interested in Jared Allen, but only if his price tag comes down.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/03...&utm_source=topvph_sports&utm_campaign=536291

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
He wants to go to a contender so that rules us out

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
He wants to go to a contender so that rules us out
I stand by the belief Bears are a contender if D significantly improves with t he pieces they are adding and Tucker doesn't screw it up. Offense stays healthy the Bears have a legit shot.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I stand by the belief Bears are a contender if D significantly improves with t he pieces they are adding and Tucker doesn't screw it up. Offense stays healthy the Bears have a legit shot.

meh, hear that every year

show we can beat the Packers then I'll believe we have a chance

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, he's interested, but only at rock bottom prices. He'll get a better price somewhere else. what I thought was more interesting was his comment about good players being there in June. I think he's prepared to drag this out a while.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Bears are a contender with Allen and Tillman in the mix.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
So to paraphrase, Emery is saying that he won't really consider signing Allen until some weeks have passed and his price drops dramatically.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, I guess Biggs and Dickerson were 100% wrong in that one. I really am curious where these guys get their sources sometimes.. Yesterday Biggs said Bears aren't in play and Dickerson confirmed they aren't intnerested..

Does this really dispute what they said? I think Biggs and Dickerson and saying the Bears aren't interested based on what their sources think Allen's asking price is. All Emery said is sure the Bears are interested in if the price is right.

Like the Broncos were in on Allen but moved off him and signed Ware for 10 million a year. Given Allen is only a few months older than Ware and had more sacks than he did, it's possible Allen's asking price is in the 10 million a year range or higher hence why the Bears wouldn't be interested in Allen at that price.

With Allen threatening retirement, make a case to Allen why he should be paid as much as Ware?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
jeff dickerson:
"Overnight word on Jared Allen is that #Bears are not in the mix to sign him at the moment, per informed sources."

brad biggs: (on allen)
"they are not in play for him."

so...just because the bears are interested doesn't mean they've talked beyond basic "what does he want?"

more importantly, it doesn't mean allen has any interest in playing here. what emery said, more or less, is that he'd love to have allen at a much cheaper rate then he wants now. add that to jared allen's proclamation that he won't play for less then he thinks he should make, and you have the bears not being in play for him. like dickerson said, at the moment. and again, allen may have no interest in playing here, for any number of reasons.

words matter.

Liked Posts:
At this point I don't know how any Bears fan in their right mind would want this to happen. Allen can still bring it...

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is absolutely the point: In other words, the Bears are interested in Jared Allen, but only if his price tag comes down. But everyone acts as if the Bears should sign him because he could help the team, without giving the salary cap a single thought....

Bears have 5mil in cap space. How can they afford to pay Allen who is going to demand at least 6-8 mil, even if its just for one year, bears couldnt even do that! Ware just got 10 a year with 20 garaunteed on a super bowl contender.

Someone will pay Allen, Peppers and Tuck much more than the bears can get anywhere near affording. Accept it.

Or play in fantasy land where the bears have more than 5 mil in cap space left....

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
C'mon....he gets an opportunity to sack whichever idiot QB is leading the Viqueens next year!! I bet he is ready to let a beat-down on whoever it is after having to sit on the sidelines in misery haha!!

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
this is absolutely the point: In other words, the Bears are interested in Jared Allen, but only if his price tag comes down. But everyone acts as if the Bears should sign him because he could help the team, without giving the salary cap a single thought....

Bears have 5mil in cap space. How can they afford to pay Allen who is going to demand at least 6-8 mil, even if its just for one year, bears couldnt even do that! Ware just got 10 a year with 20 garaunteed on a super bowl contender.

Someone will pay Allen, Peppers and Tuck much more than the bears can get anywhere near affording. Accept it.

Or play in fantasy land where the bears have more than 5 mil in cap space left....
I thought the Bears had 10 mil?

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears want him for 8 mil. Especially if it is multi-year.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
I thought the Bears had 10 mil?

the issue is we have more than one big hole to fill so we shouldn't just give it all to one player, especially if we don't have to. I don't think Allen wil actually retire unless the only teams offering are bottom feeders. I think he is using that as leverage. Lets see if teams call him bluff. He isn't Urlacher where he is clearly at the end of the road.