Employers Asking for Facebook Passwords?

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
And so it begins in the public sector....

A teacher's aide in Michigan gets fired for not giving her facebook password out...

She's taking the letter to court now.... Ooooooh boy....

My favorite part is that she was reported by a parent and a facebook friend to the school district over what seems to be a very very very tame humour picture. This is the problem.....you have a bunch of boring lame ass parents who want to play censorship police as a means of giving themselves some sort of self appointed power to make them feel worthwhile in what is probably a very dull life. These are the people that are the most dangerous. And they are out there in large numbers.

This is more than a privacy issue this is also a censorship issue and we all know those issues come with religious, political, social agendas attached to them.

This is all a fucking joke. Can't believe anyone would condone this sort of shit.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will say this... If anyone has actually read some of Facebook's legal docs, you can see that nothing posted on their site is private.

And I am late to the thread but no company has the right to ask for this information. But by the same token, if you are on a company network, on a company machine, using company bandwidth, they have every right to block, restrict, or track any and all traffic used.

But there is a very good reason I dont have a myspace facebook linkedin <insert other inet based social sites>... Searches on me will only bring up links of The Crown Prince of Death, Deadliest Man Alive (er...RIP), Master of the Death Touch or a bunch of posts bitching about the Hawks...

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I will say this... If anyone has actually read some of Facebook's legal docs, you can see that nothing posted on their site is private.

And I am late to the thread but no company has the right to ask for this information. But by the same token, if you are on a company network, on a company machine, using company bandwidth, they have every right to block, restrict, or track any and all traffic used.

But there is a very good reason I dont have a myspace facebook linkedin <insert other inet based social sites>... Searches on me will only bring up links of The Crown Prince of Death, Deadliest Man Alive (er...RIP), Master of the Death Touch or a bunch of posts bitching about the Hawks...

The degree of privacy existis even in "real life" (a.k.a. Meatspace). If you and your wife don't want others to watch you both fuck, you naturally lock the doors, closes the blinds/drapes, and if she's a screamer, install soundproofing. This will keep most lapeople from peeking in. Technically, some may have access to thermal imaging or something else that can penetrate the walls, and usde a vibration mic on a storm window to get the audio effect, but odds are no one except law enforcement will have access to those gadgets. Even though nothing is private on Facebook, the built-in controls to restrict access to your profile, pics, posts, etc. is like locking the doors and closing the blinds. Once you do that you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in which, as ou stated, no company should be able to or have the right to access...unless you're doing so on their network and on their hardware..

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently the laws in Texas give no protection to hourly employees and they can be fired for refusing to give up their passwords, at least according to the legal pundit on the radio this morning.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If they are an at-will state, then yeah, they can fire someone for no reason whatsover, or a flimsy reason like no giving up a facebook password, or even from an mployee for refusing to let the company monitor his TV viewing habits.

The question then is what would it do to public perception of said company?