epstein conference on trade

chibears55

Liked Posts:
jesse rogers gives a pretty good break down on what Epstein had to say..

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs · 1h
Theo starts presser by thanking Samardzija and Hammel..says Jeff in particular since he's been here so long, etc.

Theo says Beane called about a a month ago and told him they would be aggressive this yr in trade market

Theo says long call on Thur night w Beane expanded the deal

Theo says the hope is this is the last yr they would be obvious sellers at deadline

Theo reiterates impact middle of the field players that can hit can always move around...has said that before w/ Baez, etc

Theo says there was no pitcher avail in trade market that "was close" to the talent of Addison Russell

esse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs · 1h
Also reiterates the change in baseball...more pitching out there than hitters so right now they have the most needed commodities...

Theo: "A lof of work ahead on the pitching front"

Theo says he doesn't see a quick flip of any of these guys later this month, etc.

Straily going to AAA for a bit then prob come up, per Theo

Also says 1-2 from Wada, Hendricks, Beeler, Rusin group will get a chance

Russell to Double-A Tenn, could play tomorrow...McKinney to Daytona..

McKinney prob in LF and RF...Almora stays in CF, per Theo

Theo says he left Hammel a VM yesterday about coming out of the game after 92 pitchers: "You're absolutely right."

Then told him they were close to a deal and they had told Ricky to be smart...was just about the timing..him starting on day he was dealt

Rusin called up at least today...sorting out schedules and rest, etc.

Theo reached out to Castro's agent just to say they like what he's doing...still doesnt see moving him off SS

Theo: "Was a no-brainer" in regards to getting Russell

Theo ends by commending Beane for a "brave" approach and giving up young players.

Blogs to follow..bottom line: Addison Russell too good to pass up...hitting is a commodity like pitching used to be

I tweeted out last night, I saw Russell in Az. Fall League and in spring training of course...absolutely stood out..Remember Bryant praising

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs · 59m
As for signing Samardzija, Theo basically said in one sense they were close because there was mutual interest but that alone wasnt enough

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs · 59m
I would think he needs close to a full year at AAA. Missed a lot this yr with hammy RT @AlexBerngard: @ESPNChiCubs Russell up next year?

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs · 41m
Theo money quote for Cubs fans: “ We certainly hope this is the last year we’ll be obvious sellers at the trade deadline...

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs · 41m
...Nothing would make us happier than being in the position that Oakland is in.”

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs · 40m
Theo: “Being sellers is not what we want to do so if we’re going to do it we need to make it count.”

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs · 37m
Theo: “We feel Javier Baez is a shortstop but we’re also confident he can play second base or third base or the outfield if he has to.”

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs · 34m
Theo: "There was no pitching package available that made us think twice on passing on this opportunity.”

Brett Taylor ‏@BleacherNation · 27m
Paraphrasing, Epstein once said the two currencies of baseball are big $ and huge pool of young talent. The future looks bright, folks.

ChicagoCubsOnline ‏@TheCCO · 24m
Baseball America will have Kris Bryant (2), Addison Russell (5) and Javier Baez (7) in its Midseason Top 50 that went to press Thurs #Cubs

remixdjinx

Liked Posts:
Unless I missed something before....This is the first time i have heard Theo say anything about Baez playing outfield. I mean, I've read bloggers and reporters say things about Baez playing outfield, but this is the first time I have heard it from Theo.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Great post above...disagree vehemently with hitters rarer than pitching

chibears55

Liked Posts:
my guess is he feels that teams are tying up their young hitters now to long term deals more then pitchers, which seems to be the case to me.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless I missed something before....This is the first time i have heard Theo say anything about Baez playing outfield. I mean, I've read bloggers and reporters say things about Baez playing outfield, but this is the first time I have heard it from Theo.

You leave players at the position of most value until you absolutely have to move them. Baez was a CF all the way up to his senior year. He has a strong arm and great instincts. But, I would think Bryant would move to OF over Baez.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
my guess is he feels that teams are tying up their young hitters now to long term deals more then pitchers, which seems to be the case to me.
So? How does that show the value??? Pitcher trumps hitter. Its how the sport goes.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
So? How does that show the value??? Pitcher trumps hitter. Its how the sport goes.

I'll post it again for you... although I don't have much hope you'll actually take a look since you seem committed to ignoring anything that contradicts your absurd agenda...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/04/s...-season-have-struggled-at-historic-rates.html

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/explaining-mlb-right-handed-power-decline/

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/

If you want, I'll post it for you in a few other threads too...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Did I miss something of what he said ? Where was value or pitchers trumping hitters mentioned ?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'll post it again for you... although I don't have much hope you'll actually take a look since you seem committed to ignoring anything that contradicts your absurd agenda...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/04/s...-season-have-struggled-at-historic-rates.html

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/explaining-mlb-right-handed-power-decline/

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/

If you want, I'll post it for you in a few other threads too...
What agenda do I have there sport?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The articles that could be read said nothing to what a GM wants.

Let me set a scenario for you. Two all stars. One a hitter one a sp. Who gets taken if all things about them are equal?

remixdjinx

Liked Posts:
You leave players at the position of most value until you absolutely have to move them. Baez was a CF all the way up to his senior year. He has a strong arm and great instincts. But, I would think Bryant would move to OF over Baez.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Let me set a scenario for you. Two all stars. One a hitter one a sp. Who gets taken if all things about them are equal?
he wasn't talking about all stars though , he was talking about how teams are using their young hitting prospects more now to get what they need via trades over young pitching because its a safer move to acquire young hitting over pitching..
Which seens to be the way of thinking with GMs of today then in the past.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Your definition of "all things being equal" is inaccurate. You expect that when they are drafting they should be taking pitchers. or when they are acquiring guys a few years away from MLB that they should be getting pitchers. But likelihood of injury between is not equal at all. A pitcher at that level is far more likely to be hurt. So while you're considering "equal", factor that in.

Two guys in the majors, both All Stars, one a starting pitcher? He is more likely to be taken.

Two guys drafted out of HS? Pitcher is not the guy.

Two guys drafted out of college? It gets a little more even.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:

"disagree vehemently with hitters rarer than pitching" - brett05

For one thing, who's even talking about "what a GM wants"? And even if we were, you think GMs are gonna focus on stockpiling talent that is actually becoming more common instead of the apparently more rare talent?

You said that you don't think hitters are rarer than pitching... well, based on the numbers (which shockingly aren't drinking Cubs koolaid), it appears that post-steroid era, hitting has become more of a commodity than pitching.

If you're not ready to accept the realities of this current era of baseball, that's fine. But stop trying to derail these conversations (I'm aware I'm falling victim to your attempts, too...) and take your nonsense elsewhere.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Teams stock pile pitching because pitchers injure more frequently.

Theo has been pretty damn smart about the draft. Due to higher risk he has taken. Bat with the first pick. Then he has packed to the rest of the first 10 rounds with arms. Something may develop but due to high injury rates that pitching gets it has been a wise direction to go.

So in view of that using F/A to acquire pitching is not so dumb. These pitchers are proven. They are worth the cash investment.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Elite hitting might be.

It is easy to find guys who can hit for power, but no average.

It is easy to find guys who can hit for average, with no power and RBI production.

I think guys who can do both and do what is needed in different situations is more rare, is it the rarest think in baseball? I don't know.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Theo has been pretty damn smart about the draft. Due to higher risk he has taken. Bat with the first pick. Then he has packed to the rest of the first 10 rounds with arms. Something may develop but due to high injury rates that pitching gets it has been a wise direction to go.

So in view of that using F/A to acquire pitching is not so dumb. These pitchers are proven. They are worth the cash investment.

The attrition rate is an interesting angle.

Elite pitching does not last like a hitter will, it makes sense. Pitchers like Harvey in NY cannot be relied on to be around 10 years anymore.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

If Theo is right about hitting becoming the new desired trade piece and he is ahead of the game there then the draft approach they have taken is frankly quite smart. Take someone like Schwarber as an example. They draft him high this year and as a college player you're realistically talking about a 2-3 year time frame if he performs. At that point if you *have* to have pitching you can trade him for MLB pitching and skip the entire development process. You likely need other pieces but he is good enough to be the headline piece.

This is all speculation on my part but if that is truly the idea/motivation behind things it's possibly very smart because you're letting other teams take all the risk developing pitchers. All those high school pitchers who get drafted and flame out as high round picks are other team's problems. And by attacking pitching in bulk in the later rounds they have the potential to find some gems as well as should have themselves covered in terms of back of the rotation pitchers. It's just the top of the rotation guys they have to acquire which can be done via trade or FA but both cases are MLB players already past a lot of that development.