Ernie Banks Has Passed Away: Update Heart Attack

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
A true ambassador to the sport, the city of Chicago and the Cubs. A Korean War veteran who was scared to leave the Negro leagues because of his loyalty to the Kansas City Monarchs. Our first African-American player who transcends eras. Truly the greatest Cub to ever live. It's a shame he was never able to partake in a World Series, let alone the playoffs.

God damn, look at that smile. What an awesome, awesome guy.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Cub. And, absolutely... let's play two.

ernie-banks-04.jpg

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I started to copy and paste some quotes baseball people had about Ernie Banks in the last hour but there's too many. This guy was GENUINELY loved and respected

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Super sad day for the Cubs.....

RIP Mr. Cub!

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Also, it sucks he will never get to see us win the World Series, because it's happening!

ChicagoBornCalifLiving

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Huge loss for the Cub's Organization and Cub fans everywhere. Not a better role model on how the game should be played. RIP Mr. Cub, the baseball world mourns your loss.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Man...what a sad day.

---> Sent from above.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[video=youtube;tF8MEGhZfpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF8MEGhZfpw[/video]

He will be missed.

Heisenberg

Run
Donator
Liked Posts:
RIP Mr. Cub. :(

You'll always be a legend.

I hope this whole season is devoted towards him. Lets win it for Ernie.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Baseball had no better ambassador.

As sad as I am to hear of his passing, I will share my Ernie stories with a smile on my face (but with a heavy heart)

Ernie story #1. Circa 1972.

I grew up 2 hours from Chicago. My Great Aunt Lydia would take us - my siblings and first cousins - to Cubs games, four at a time. Leave early, arrive at 8:30 for a 1:15 game. Wait in line for general admission seats - her and the girls in the grandstand, boys in the bleachers.

After one game, we were waiting for the players to come out to their parking lot, in hopes of getting autographs. After 10 or 15 minutes, Aunt Lydia told us we needed to go. We hadn't seen Ernie yet, or Santo or Williams. We were upset she was taking us to the car.

We walked south toward the front gate, but instead of heading west to the car, she turned east, down the right field line. Then south for two blocks. We had no idea where she was headed.

We came to a little gas station/auto repair, whatever. There sat a red Cadillac. She told us to have a seat.

Five or ten minutes later, here comes Ernie!! My aunt knew where he parked his car, and it wasn't in the players' lot.

I got his autograph on a ball I still have today. I have never been much of an autograph or memorabilia hound, but that ball - which later saw Santo, Kessinger, jenkins, Reuschel all added - has moved with me for decades.

Two days ago, I picked up a souvenir bat off my son's bedroom floor. It was the one I bought four decades ago with Ernie Banks' signature on it. I smiled to think I have had it all these years, and my son actually messes with it too. Those two items are the only memorabilia I have ever kept.

Sleep well, Ernie. You are one of a kind. The happiest and friendliest athlete I can ever remember.

RIP, Mr. Cub.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He is my hero.

I will never forget his 500th.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Don't think I need to tell anyone who my favorite Cub ever was if you have seen my avy.

Sometimes it seems as though certain individuals will live forever, and then reality sets in.

He exemplified what it meant to be passionate towards an organization, a legend not only to the Cubs, but baseball in general.

He played the game the way it was supposed to be played, was a loyal professional to the team he loved, and will truly be missed by all.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My Ernie story #2

Ernie Banks Day, 1982.

Several of us went to the game to see them retire Ernie's number. (including Aunt Lydia - she didn't have to drive this time)

Parked in the triangle lot long before the game, who comes walking by all alone, but Ernie himself. No entourage, nobody bothering him at all. My brother calls to him, has him take a picture with he and our Aunt Lydia, and none of the rest of us bothered to ask for a pic also.

What a great moment having the aunt who took us to the games get her pic with Ernie. What a gentleman. What a great guy!