Everyone on here is forgetting something...

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Playing good solid defense is not harkening back to some bygone era. You simply cannot win with offense only sham that had been perpetrated by Emery and Trestman.

How is the supercharged offense supposed to work if they get poor field position due to bad ST play and are forced to keep pace with opposing offenses?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nobody is saying defense CAN'T win championships, but rather the NFL has moved in a direction to which it's easier to win with offense.

I'm not so sure about that anymore. I think it gets blown too much out of proportion. Look at the champions since the Bears SB appearance -

Seattle - defense, coaching and depth
Baltimore - balanced team with great QB play in the playoffs
NYG - defense, balanced, QB made plays when it mattered
Green Bay - great QB
New Orleans - this was a high powered offense
Pittsburgh - defense, QB made plays when it mattered
NYG - pass rush, QB made plays when it mattered.

Of the last seven SB winners, only two were offensive powerhouses carried by their offense. Most were balanced with great defense and coaching and had QBs who were able to play their best in the biggest games. That's what wins.

Last edited:

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I'm not so sure about that anymore. I think it gets blown too much out of proportion. Look at the champions since the Bears SB appearance -

Seattle - defense, coaching and depth
Baltimore - balanced team with great QB play in the playoffs
NYG - defense, balanced, QB made plays when it mattered
Green Bay - great QB
New Orleans - this was a high powered offense
Pittsburgh - defense, QB made plays when it mattered
NYG - pass rush, QB made plays when it mattered.

Of the last seven SB winners, only two were offensive powerhouses carried by their offense. Most were balanced with great defense and coaching and had QBs who were able to play their best in the biggest games. That's what wins.

This. I will also add that the offensive power house winners such as New Orleans and Green Bay may not have had elite defensive units but those respective years they had very opportunistic D's that created a lot of takeaways.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
The rules in this league have been changed recently to favor player safety and high scoring games. Player safety because it's important and high scoring games because that's what the fans want. Playing defensive ball today immediately puts you at odds with all of those rule changes.

The 1985 Bears would lose today because the defense would rack up so many penalties, fines and suspensions it would make losing inevitable. Trying to win on defense in this league today is handicapping you from the start.

I'd love to see me some real smash mouth football again, but those days are over.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The rules in this league have been changed recently to favor player safety and high scoring games. Player safety because it's important and high scoring games because that's what the fans want. Playing defensive ball today immediately puts you at odds with all of those rule changes.

Yes, and it's killing football for me. I used to watch football all the time, and these last few years I hardly watch any non-Bears games. The endless flags and commercials are part of it, but the other half is what you say. The way the game is played just doesn't grip me like used to. I miss physical, field position-based chess matches.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The 1985 Bears would lose today because the defense would rack up so many penalties, fines and suspensions it would make losing inevitable. Trying to win on defense in this league today is handicapping you from the start.

I'd love to see me some real smash mouth football again, but those days are over.

The Bears played some smash mouthed football vs Atlanta this year..It was their best and most physical game...Atlanta receivers were afraid to go across the middle..They were getting pounded...What happened to that Bear team?? They just disintigrated

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears played some smash mouthed football vs Atlanta this year..It was their best and most physical game...Atlanta receivers were afraid to go across the middle..They were getting pounded...What happened to that Bear team?? They just disintigrated

Atlanta is one of the softest teams in the league. I think you'll see a little more of that when the LBers are Sharpton, Jones and Bostic for a few weeks.

Defense Wins

Liked Posts:
I still feel defense wins championships. Outside teams have to be good at running the ball. Have to be good at stopping the run. We did not build this year's team for that. Our problem is speed. We are slow on both sides of the ball. Defenses have quit trying to man up our big guys. All we see is zone. We aren't fast enough to outrun zone coverage. We have a team built for that spread crap....just don't have Kapernick or Newton.....not that they would be the answer. Who has the answer?