Fahey breaks down Tarik Cohen

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
coming up a a couple yards short or missing the endzone when he could have made it is an asset?

I've seen Cohen make some plays near the 1st down and endzone marker, but he made some really boneheaded plays running out of bounds.

Not sure that is quite an asset yet.

Well said. His most noticable blunder was the 2nd Packers game. He could have walked in for a TD but immediately ran out of bounds. Yes he is a playmaker but sometimes he is too busy i guess protecting himself to make plays

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
When you lead all non-QB NFL players in fumbles, perhaps going out-of-bounds IS an asset!

don't know how I missed that...I had no idea he was that bad at ball security......i guess fuck the 1st down marker then.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
@Adipost Any thoughts on how the bear's backfield is going to split touches? I have been viewing Montgomery as the guy that will be RB1 and Davis as RB3 which is more of just an insurance plan for injury. I see Cohen continuing his role that he played last year.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
@Adipost Any thoughts on how the bear's backfield is going to split touches? I have been viewing Montgomery as the guy that will be RB1 and Davis as RB3 which is more of just an insurance plan for injury. I see Cohen continuing his role that he played last year.

Well, I know the reason Fahey has Davis ahead of Montgomery is because he’s always been a big fan of his. He did this breakdown right after the Bears signed him:

Mike Davis perfect fit

Matt Nagy's offense is built on stretching defenses in every direction. He wants to move the ball horizontally, he wants to take shots vertically. He's not going to let opponents line up and crash to a spot where they all know the ball is going. Misdirection, pre-snap motion, pick plays, screens, pulling linemen, pulling tight ends, designed quarterback runs. Nagy's goal is to keep you constantly off balance, constantly guessing.

To make that offense work, he needs players who can take advantage of space. Jordan Howard, for all of his qualities, struggled to adapt to Nagy's shotgun-heavy scheme. He averaged 3.7 yards per carry and wasn't a factor as a receiver. Too often his touches were the best way of containing Tarik Cohen.

Cohen is the Bears' primary running back at this point. He may not carry the ball 250 times, but his value in the rushing and receiving game makes his impact greater than his peers.

Because Cohen isn't Le'Veon Bell, there are going to be more opportunities to run the ball for the second back on the roster. As of right now, that back remains Howard but his spot on the roster isn't guaranteed moving forward. He would be a desirable piece in a trade. Furthermore, his hold on that spot as the second option even if he stays on the roster wouldn't be strong.

Mike Davis is not the celebrated back that Howard was prior to last season. He has played for the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks in limited roles. In those roles, he showcased a skill set that will make him a perfect fit in the Bears offense.

Davis carried the ball 112 times for 514 yards and four touchdowns last season. He averaged 4.6 yards per attempt while running from both shotgun alignments and with his quarterback under center. In generating that production, he showed off a combination of balance, acceleration and decisiveness that maximized his output on each play.

1.gif

On this play against the Panthers, Davis is confronted with a defensive tackle coming off the left tackle as he approaches the line of scrimmage. Davis quickly recognizes the defensive tackle's leverage in the hole and shifts his weight to change direction.

How he shifts his weight is important. By dropping his upper body down, he hides behind the left guard in front of him who is engaging the linebacker on the second level.

Because that linebacker can't see Davis through that motion, he can't slide to the outside and prevent Davis from accelerating outside. Once Davis gets that head start, he has the speed to get away from the linebacker and turn upfield for a good gain. Those are the types of movements that Howard can't make comfortably.

1.gif

On this play against the Packers, the Seahawks center advances upfield immediately. This leaves each guard to handle the defensive tackles. Those tackles do a good job of pushing their linemen inside while controlling them to prevent Davis from running right through the middle of the defense.

Davis recognizes the lack of space to attack and stops his feet. Stopping your feet is only something you do out of necessity as a running back in the NFL. When you do it, you have to be fast enough and aware enough to not get caught in the backfield for a loss. Davis' ability to shuffle his feet and change direction in the tight space initially is impressive.

After changing direction, he's confronted by an unblocked edge defender. Davis again shows off quick reactions and an ability to change direction in an instant, freeing himself up to accelerate around the edge.

1.gif

Cutting back is an important part of running from shotgun. Generally offenses that run from shotgun a lot are using zone concepts rather than power concepts. On the play prior to this one, Davis recognized that he needed to stop his feet and turn in the opposite direction. This time he recognizes that the cutback lane is closer so he can sharply plant to move upfield at speed.

His speed here negates the chasing edge rusher and allows him to take advantage of the offensive line's effective blocking.

1.gif

Davis is officially listed at 5'9" and 217 lbs. His size isn't something that stands out but his frame carries significant power. He can break tackles in the open field in different ways and he can shed the attention of defensive linemen and linebackers when running between the tackles.

The Seahawks center does enough to maintain his block on this play but the defensive tackle works through it so he can contact Davis as he crosses the line of scrimmage.

Because he's already built up some momentum, Davis' speed allows him to hit the hole hard. That allows him to move past the arm tackle attempt without slowing down. From there, Davis re-accelerates to drag another defender with him on the second level.

1.gif

In Davis the Bears are getting an elusive...

1.gif

...explosive....

1.gif

...and intelligent runner.

He hasn't proven himself as a lead back yet but he also hasn't had the opportunity to do so. His role as a receiver in Seattle was limited also. He hasn't proven capable of lining up in different spots or running different routes, but he was competent when tasked with working as a checkdown option out of the backfield.

Outside of catching screen passes, the Bears aren't likely to ask any non-Cohen back to fill an expansive role in the passing game.

Adding Davis' speed is about getting better working between the tackles. The Bears regularly put Cohen and Howard on the field together, using Cohen as a receiver or as the end-around option on misdirection runs/screens where the ball still went to Howard. Adding Davis will put more speed on the field for those play designs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with Fahey on Davis and was amazed at how many on this board looked at the signing as a significant downgrade. Davis will be an upgrade for this O. What I don't understand is how Fahey could look at Cohen as the lead back and also advocate him not taking shots and running out of bounds. That said, with almost all of us seeing that tendency, he still averaged 4.4 YPC but I don't ever see him as having more than say 600 or so rush yards in any given year. Huge overall asset for the O but not the lead runner from scrimmage. Bigger question is whether Davis or Monty is the #1 on opening day. This is an overstatement because Nagy will find a way to use them all but our FA upgrade could actually become the odd man out.

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/davis-on-working-with-cohen-montgomery
Can't wait!

Last edited:

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How does he get away with posting gifs of the all-22s? Anytime I try they get striked almost immediately

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How does he get away with posting gifs of the all-22s? Anytime I try they get striked almost immediately
My guess is that they're from Fahey's link and not from all22.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Will be interesting to see what type of 2nd contract we will offer Cohen in the near future. Personally, I don't think he remains a Bear, even though he is one of my favorite players.

Will just enjoy the run in the meantime...

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cohen is too explosive/has too much big play capability to be used only situationally. On the other hand he never looked like an NFL primary back and I don't think that was ever the role Nagy envisioned. Cohen and Davis may have to be 1/2 early in the season but once Montgomery shows he can pass block and pick up blitzes I think he has to have enough touches to establish a rhythm and show whether he is the real deal or not.

Having too many playmakers to spread the ball around enough is a good problem to have and Trubisky should now be ready to run any play Nagy can dream up. But there still needs to be an offensive identity featuring a few key guys. IMO constantly throwing different looks and targeting different players is just as likely to keep the offense off balance as it is the defense.

A couple of other random thoughts that are off topic (sorry Adi): 1) Is Robinson going to keep flashing in a few games and disappearing in others? 2) Will there be games where what the Bears really need is production from the TE but there is no one to step up and play that role?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I agree with Fahey on Davis and was amazed at how many on this board looked at the signing as a significant downgrade.

You have to envision a lot of stuff with Davis, what he'll do, how he'll fit into the scheme, because his actual NFL resume is paper-thin. In 4 NFL seasons, he's gone over 70 yards in a game just one time. Howard went over 70 yards 3 times in the last 5 regular season games (Bears record 4-1).

To me, it seems like the Bears could have signed any other RB and we'd be singing his praises simply because he's not Jordan Howard. Maybe Davis will end up being an uncovered gem, but that wouldn't be based on his past history.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Robinson will be fine and what we saw last year had more to do with him still building up to his old self from the knee than anything else. The O's identity will be that you don't know what to expect. It should have more to do with options on plays than the plays themselves. Nagy can get too cute but it's not the norm and the plays themselves will have more options this year. The off season should help Mitch and the catchers, a lot, with their reads and route options. Too much tentativeness on that by both parts of that last year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You have to envision a lot of stuff with Davis, what he'll do, how he'll fit into the scheme, because his actual NFL resume is paper-thin. In 4 NFL seasons, he's gone over 70 yards in a game just one time. Howard went over 70 yards 3 times in the last 5 regular season games (Bears record 4-1).

To me, it seems like the Bears could have signed any other RB and we'd be singing his praises simply because he's not Jordan Howard. Maybe Davis will end up being an uncovered gem, but that wouldn't be based on his past history.
All true. He probably won't accumulate the run yards Howard did but he'll have a higher average and more catches but it goes beyond their individual performances. The O became predictable with Howard and we weren't going to only run zone and keep feeding him to wear down the D like in the past. I've been careful to not say Davis is a better back because he's not but he's better for this team at this time. Doesn't need to be a shiny gem, just enough polish to reflect a complete player.

Why I like Davis is that he admittedly 'looks' like he could handle the load if required, can run both between and around the tackles and is route capable. He's never going to be a rushing leader contender like Howard could be in an O built for him but he's a good fit here, especially in the rush by committee scenario we expect. Howard is special at one thing, Davis is not but he's good at all things.

Our G play had something to do with it not having anyone effectively able or willing to take an inside lane last year was frustrating.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm pretty sure this is the 2nd time you've posted this guy's breakdown or analysis on a player. Not surprisingly its the 2nd time I agreed with most of it with notable exceptions to his take on the player.

In no way shape or form is it a positive to me for Cohen to be avoiding contact, running lanes and scampering to the sideline to the extreme that he does. I'm all for players avoiding uncessary contact but Cohen takes it to a paper mache level of avoiding it. To the point where he is leaving plays on the field in doing so. He is waaaaaaaaaay too indecisive on taking an obvious running lane because he keeps thinking he's going to turn the edge and get more.

The other point he makes about wanting Cohen to be running more deep routes is an obvious conclusion any schmuck would come up with after seeing Cohen's speed, route running and his gadget back skill set. Except if they actually saw what happens when you throw the ball deep to him without separation...you would quickly dial that back a notch. If he doesn't have separation on a DB then he will rarely make the catch. You can tell he has no idea what to do against a DB when its contested. I would rather be using those plays on our receivers...you know...those guys that already know what to do against DBs.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Davis will not get the majority of carries. It's going to be Monty and Cohen. I think Cohen is the same as with Howard, maybe a little bit better, few more carries/catches. But essentially the same—lightning to Monty's thunder. Davis will be depth.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't hate Fahey but he's a bit too rote on his evaluations. Of course there were valid reason why Mahomes was the boom or bust pick in that draft but he clearly didn't see enough boom. There is no question that sitting Mahomes for a year did help him learn and correct some things but Fahey made it sound like it was very unlikely.

He also once said Glennon reminded him of Rodgers, thinks Wentz throws too many 'interceptable passes' and when evaluating Watson before the draft said "I don't want to watch this anymore" after 2 games of evaluation. He still thinks Watson is getting too much hype. He's back and forth on Mitch alternately ranking him high and then hating on his mechanical breakdowns with disappointment.

This sounds like I'm hating on Fahey and that's not my intent. He's allowed his informed opinion and I actually enjoy reading them, I just don't always agree.

As for Mitch, he sees the potential but harps on his mechanics but not so much his feet which I also disagreed with. I thought Mitch had lazy feet in regards to his throwing mechanics in college and it was rarely noted by prognosticators or this board before it became a thing. I tend to think Mitch being so aware of his mechanics is part of what's causing some of hi issues. It may pay dividends this year but it wasn't doing him favors so far.

As an aside, my biggest concern with Mitch is not his mechanics or accuracy though I guess we should all have some trepidation about his long ball and that he'll throw to a completely covered guy when it's the outlet and he's late with his reads. I personally think those will come along with reps, better early recognition and not trying to do everything perfectly like putting lots of air under his long ball. I think (hope) they'll just let him play this year.

My biggest gripe is that he doesn't always see extra defenders dropping under routes. It's a young QB thing but you never know if that will get better or not. Alex Smith has always been hesitant to throw deep or semi deep middle routes and he's a really smart dude. Late career Smith with even better escapability would be fine but for this O to really click, Mitch will need to keep a D completely honest and thinking they could get beat on every snap and need cover every portion of the field..

Last edited:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Davis will not get the majority of carries. It's going to be Monty and Cohen. I think Cohen is the same as with Howard, maybe a little bit better, few more carries/catches. But essentially the same—lightning to Monty's thunder. Davis will be depth.
Most rookie backs sit behind the more experienced guy until they prove they can pick up the blitz on third and long. Howard didn't start for a while and I suspect Monty won't either. I agree he'll get the majority of carries eventually but mabey not before week four - five.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Said it was an asset.

It is.

Keep you extra 2 yards and a pile of dust. I need him healthy for 16 games.

I do not see him giving up big plays to get to the sideline. He just does not fight for the extra yards at the end of runs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is.

Keep you extra 2 yards and a pile of dust. I need him healthy for 16 games.

I do not see him giving up big plays to get to the sideline. He just does not fight for the extra yards at the end of runs.
I did say in an earlier post that I don't mind him avoiding hits but not by also avoiding obvious running lanes. You can take the appropriate lanes and still not need to fight for that last yard. Same I would expect from any WR. No one is asking him to move piles. Just not give up easy yards by always bouncing outside. Context is everything.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I did say in an earlier post that I don't mind him avoiding hits but not by also avoiding obvious running lanes. You can take the appropriate lanes and still not need to fight for that last yard. Same I would expect from any WR. No one is asking him to move piles. Just not give up easy yards by always bouncing outside. Context is everything.

I disagree that he is giving up bigger plays.

I think he runs to daylight and when it closes he gets out of bounds. I do not remember many plays where I saw a bigger play if he had stayed more to the inside.

For him going to the outside is where he is going to find the most yards, he is not going to generate yards in contested areas.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think he runs to daylight and when it closes he gets out of bounds. I do not remember many plays where I saw a bigger play if he had stayed more to the inside.

Agree. Bears offensive line so dominant that even their own backs can't get through.