Fangio on Bears roster

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This thread has been certified as Vortex worthy!

What happens when a vortex joins another vortex? Do the offset each other or turn super sayain vortex?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What happens when a vortex joins another vortex? Do the offset each other or turn super sayain vortex?

It is like black holes colliding. They create supermassive black holes or in this case supermassive dark vortexes.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I give you full marks for "Damning with faint praise." I disagree, though. The reference to the Patriots as if they are some type of regular example for how the NFL works was beyond comprehension.

Pace has done a fine job in rebuilding the Bears into a postseason team. I think the playing field changes, though, for Pace, as he now has to prove he can sustain success under different circumstances...less cap space, fewer draft choices, more players looking to get paid, other teams raiding your roster for talent, drafting later in rounds, etc. Until he can show his ability to do this, we can't really assume it will happen. That's all I am saying. I didn't know it was such a "far-out" comment...I thought it was almost axiomatic.

I love it when people think they know "how the NFL works." That's cute.

The Patriots are just the low hanging fruit. There's plenty other examples as have already been pointed out.

But please keep enlightening us with little formulas like:

"that's how the NFL cycle is designed. Bad teams become good after drafting high in every round for 4 straight years...good teams become bad after drafting low in every round for 4 straight years"?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

The Patriots are just the low hanging fruit. There's plenty other examples as have already been pointed out.

But please keep enlightening us with little formulas like:

"that's how the NFL cycle is designed. Bad teams become good after drafting high in every round for 4 straight years...good teams become bad after drafting low in every round for 4 straight years"?

Prior to this season, the Bears had 4 sub-.500 seasons in a row. Here is a list of teams that didn't have at least one .500 season in that time frame:

Browns

Me: The reference to the Patriots as if they are some type of regular example for how the NFL works was beyond comprehension.

You: The Patriots are just the low hanging fruit.

I don't think you know what is going on here. Just a guess.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Prior to this season, the Bears had 4 sub-.500 seasons in a row. Here is a list of teams that didn't have at least one .500 season in that time frame:

Browns

Me: The reference to the Patriots as if they are some type of regular example for how the NFL works was beyond comprehension.

You: The Patriots are just the low hanging fruit.

I don't think you know what is going on here. Just a guess.

:lmao:

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Quick...someone point out outliers to the basic concept of the NFL since the draft was instituted in 1936!

Are you honestly arguing with my statement of "that's how the NFL cycle is designed. Bad teams become good after drafting high in every round for 4 straight years...good teams become bad after drafting low in every round for 4 straight years"?

You're trolling right ?

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Maybe come back with a lil less emotion Rory and re-read my post.

Drafting in the top 10 of the first round means nothing when it comes to finding talent in rounds 2-7, especially when the team trades both up and down and back into specific rounds to find talent.

You know that teams drafting early in the first round also draft early in rounds 2-7 right?

Some of those quality mid round draft picks wouldn’t have been there if the team was drafting 10-20 spots higher.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
You're trolling right ?

So you've read all the comments in this thread up to now, and this is what you type on your keyboard?

Which part of my comments do you consider "trolling"? Which aspect of BaBaBlacksheep's usage of the phrase "low hanging fruit" made sense to you? Please explain.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
This was his comment on the state of the Bears roster when he was hired:

“What they were doing was putting Band-Aids on every little problem, hoping they would be a good team the next year. By the time we got there, they sucked. They were old, no young talent, no nothing. I’ve coached on two expansions teams in Carolina and with the Texans, and our roster on defense when I was hired was worse than those expansion team defenses.”

Yikes! Emery really did leave a steaming pile of dog shit for Pace to fix.

Well now, as much as Emery sucked, let’s not put that all on him. He wasn’t around long enough to take all that blame. The Lovester and Slick Jerry didn’t exactly load the roster up w/young starters let alone stars. Those two were an awful pair when it came to personnel decisions.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm late to this conversation....

Forgive me for taking up for Rory as he can handle himself, but reading some of this....are you guys that are on the opposite end really saying that high draft picks DON'T make you a better team?

Really?

You know the point of a high draft pick right? um....A better player? And that player making your team better right? Just b/c the GM making the pick sucks at making those picks doesn't mean that the concept is invalid. Rory is right. All things being equal, teams drafting high SHOULD be better in a few years due to the fact they will have earlier access to better players...

Do people disagree with that?

BEARS

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No I think people disagree with Rory bringing it up as if anyone said otherwise and as if it addressed what people were actually talking about. It was another classic Rory Strawman where he brings something up that has nothing to do with the topic at hand then spends the rest of the thread arguing for it as if someone was arguing the point.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I'm late to this conversation....

Forgive me for taking up for Rory as he can handle himself, but reading some of this...

No need to apologize. Sometimes on CCS I think that I must be not communicating correctly, because what I am trying to say is merely common sense/historic fact. You make some basic football statement, and the push-back you get from posters like BaBaBlackSheep who say "Aw, isn't it cute that you think you know football", posters like Wazzupi (whoever the heck he is) immediately ask if you are "trolling" (which is classic CCS...any attempt to discuss football is 'trolling').

It gets tiresome.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No need to apologize. Sometimes on CCS I think that I must be not communicating correctly, because what I am trying to say is merely common sense/historic fact. You make some basic football statement, and the push-back you get from posters like BaBaBlackSheep who say "Aw, isn't it cute that you think you know football" posters like Wazzupi (whoever the heck he is) immediately ask if you are "trolling" (which is classic CCS...any attempt to discuss football is 'trolling').

It gets tiresome.

Probably because your comments have nothing to do with what they were discussing.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Probably because your comments have nothing to do with what they were discussing.

My comments had everything to do with what they were discussing. Do you have any point, or any evidence of my comments being unrelated to their postings?

Quick recap:

Yeah...that's how the NFL cycle is designed. Bad teams become good after drafting high in every round for 4 straight years...good teams become bad after drafting low in every round for 4 straight years. Welcome to the NFL!

Quick... someone call the Lions and the Browns!!

Patriots too.

Quick...someone point out outliers to the basic concept of the NFL since the draft was instituted in 1936!

Possibly the dumbest post in CCS history. We just had multiple weeks of the media gushing over the uniqueness of Belichick's accomplishments...staying competitive at a high level over a long period of time in the NFL when the structure of the NFL is designed to prevent such a thing from happening. Did you not watch the Super Bowl or follow the NFL over the last 17 years?

And finally, the “low hanging fruit”…

The Patriots are just the low hanging fruit.

Your move, remy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Smart fans have been pointing that out since the beginning of the Pace era. Dumb fans expected a quick fix.

Shocking to learn that a DC inheriting a defense that ranked 30th and 31st in points allowed over the past two seasons would say they weren't talented.

Your response above has zero to do with what playthrough said. He was talking about fan expectations regarding a rebuild and your response is talking about how it isn't shocking that Fangio would say the Bears D is bad.

First, no one said it was shocking and Second, your response has fuck all to do with what Playthrough said. It is a strawman designed to get a poster riled up so you can take them on your magic carpet ride of strawmen.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Your response above has zero to do with what playthrough said. He was talking about fan expectations regarding a rebuild and your response is talking about how it isn't shocking that Fangio would the Bears D is bad.

First, no one said it was shocking and Second, your response has fuck all to do with what Playthrough said. It is a strawman designed to get a poster riled up so you can take them on your magic carpet ride of strawmen.

What.

The.

Fuck.

What on earth are you even bringing up that quote for? My point was that you didn't really have to be a "smart fan" (hence my use of the word "Shocking") to know that Fangio wasn't inheriting a talent-laden defense. They had been the worst defense in the NFL for two seasons and had a propensity for giving up double-nickle games.

Wow. I did not see that 'misdirection' coming, though. Point for remy. But still no comment about BaBaBlackSheep's idiocy? Hmm. I thought that would be the low hanging fruit of your argument.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What.

The.

Fuck.

What on earth are you even bringing up that quote for? My point was that you didn't really have to be a "smart fan" (hence my use of the word "Shocking") to know that Fangio wasn't inheriting a talent-laden defense. They had been the worst defense in the NFL for two seasons and had a propensity for giving up double-nickle games.

Wow. I did not see that 'misdirection' coming, though. Point for remy. But still no comment about BaBaBlackSheep's idiocy? Hmm. I thought that would be the low hanging fruit of your argument.

Still had nothing to do with the point about fan expectations and rebuilding. Sorry.

Nothing Baba said was idiotic. It has already been pointed out to you that despite parity it is not a given that teams get good after 4 years drafting in the top 10. When it was pointed out the divisions don't show this to be true, your argument morphed into, "But those guys have HoF QBs" which is laughable.

Shocking that teams with good QBs can win even when they don't draft in the top 10. It is almost like your original point about parity was bullshit.

Also shocking that over the QBs you mentioned, only one of them was actually drafted in the top 10 ie Manning.