Favorite restaurant in Chicago.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I went to Gene and Judes ordered Chicago Style Dog with fries, I wasn't aware of their hate for ketchup and asked for some for the fries. I didn't even get a response, just a quick glare. LOL

What makes gene and Jude's so famous? From what I gather, it's just a regular Vienna hot dog, no? Or do they do something to it that makes it original?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What makes gene and Jude's so famous? From what I gather, it's just a regular Vienna hot dog, no? Or do they do something to it that makes it original?

They boil the hot dogs just right...

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I've personally never understood the hype. I don't find it that good, then again I'm not the biggest hot dog fan.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've personally never understood the hype. I don't find it that good, then again I'm not the biggest hot dog fan.

They been boiling the hot dogs in the same flavor deep water for like 30+ years.... you can't get that at any hot dog place.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's just another place that has Chicago Style Dogs, they all taste pretty much the same to me...... Regardless of how long they keep the hot dog water.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's just another place that has Chicago Style Dogs, they all taste pretty much the same to me...... Regardless of how long they keep the hot dog water.

Go to one of these newer places with no flavored hot dog water and taste it side by side with a Gene and Judes.... the layers of flavor they have in their water is crazy.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

More than that. It's their own recipe. The casing is just nice and thick. A true snap when you bite in.
The lines at Gene and Jude's makes the drive thru wait at Portillo's look like a deserted town.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Go to one of these newer places with no flavored hot dog water and taste it side by side with a Gene and Judes.... the layers of flavor they have in their water is crazy.

Think I can just get an order of their hot dog water to go? ;)

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

A guy open a hot dog joint here in Richmond and he pays for Gene and Judes Hot dog water and has it shipped to his shop in VA. His hot dogs are the tits.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A guy open a hot dog joint here in Richmond and he pays for Gene and Judes Hot dog water and has it shipped to his shop in VA. His hot dogs are the tits.

At this point it is probably so deep with flavor they can just mix a few cups of it with like 4 gallons of water and their hot dogs come out great.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
At this point it is probably so deep with flavor they can just mix a few cups of it with like 4 gallons of water and their hot dogs come out great.

Just think you are potentially tasting the flavor of the very first hot dog made there

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This is what I do at home. Get a dozen links. Cook 6 of them. Throw those out, or save for beans. Then cook the other 6 in the first 6's water. Big improvement.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just think you are potentially tasting the flavor of the very first hot dog made there

Exactly.... a hot dog flavor legacy spanning 3+ decades.... all in the layers of flavor in that water.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
More than that. It's their own recipe. The casing is just nice and thick. A true snap when you bite in.
The lines at Gene and Jude's makes the drive thru wait at Portillo's look like a deserted town.

For the record, that snap has nothing to do with the casing of the hot dog.

That snap is you biting into 30+ years of hot dog flavor layers which have affixed themselves to the outside of your hot dog while in the water.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Oh and they have Tom toms so see Gene and Jude's is not perfect