Fields not starting is Pace's CYA

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
One of the first ironclad laws people learn in order to keep their jobs is Cover Your ASS (CYA).

Facts are very stubborn things:

The fact is

1. that, at this point in his career, Dalton is a journeyman QB.
  2. that Justin Fields has a beautiful and accurate deep ball.
  3. that both QBs are learning the offense.
Okay, so why would Pace and Nagy advance the KC model as a blueprint for Fields? Simple. They were worried about what if he fails. It will buy them another year. They knew how hot their seats were, so they advanced a truth that works. They can say, we always wanted for Fields to sit. Look at the interviews. Yup. This is the plan, always has been the plan, we swearsssssss.

Pace is a slick mofo and knows how to set up a smokescreen. He's got Dalton. He can throw him out there or let nature take its course in TC and watch Fields light up the red rocket.

So, I think the deep desire is to start Fields, but they have their CYA ready to go. It's a truth that will work for them.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
One of the first ironclad laws people learn in order to keep their jobs is Cover Your ASS (CYA).

The fact is

Only one of those three things is a fact.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Can’t give Fields the starting job unless he is way better than Dalton. It’s not easy to transition to NFL speed. Also he needs to know the offense verbiage down and command the Bears offense.

I think Fields has to earn his starting job. Why make it easy on him? Competition makes players better.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Can’t give Fields the starting job unless he is way better than Dalton. It’s not easy to transition to NFL speed. Also he needs to know the offense verbiage down and command the Bears offense.

I think Fields has to earn his starting job. Why make it easy on him? Competition makes players better.

I agree. I really think Fields will win the job.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace definitely knew that not having a good QB would sink him like it does everyone else. So he drafted one. As far as the timing of playing, I just don't think he is that underhanded to slow play it just to try to not get fired. I think he rightly sees Fields' long term success as his meal ticket and you don't fuck with your meal ticket like that.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
tenor.gif

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I want them to be smart about it....Andy Dalton can be a very good mentor from the bench or the field.

The sole reason I would like to see Andy Dalton start is to see if they can get the O-line to work as a semi-functional unit before they throw Justin in.

With Dalton, they will be forced to maximize the run game and protection. If they throw Fields in there and he uses his mobility to cover up the o-line shortcomings, then we are not improving the offense overall.

Develop the O-line, improve the run game, use Andy as the measuring stick to determine if those areas are improving, then put in the best prospect we have had in decades.

Don't rush this, don't screw things up, let's build for the future not for today.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I want them to be smart about it....Andy Dalton can be a very good mentor from the bench or the field.

The sole reason I would like to see Andy Dalton start is to see if they can get the O-line to work as a semi-functional unit before they throw Justin in.

With Dalton, they will be forced to maximize the run game and protection. If they throw Fields in there and he uses his mobility to cover up the o-line shortcomings, then we are not improving the offense overall.

Develop the O-line, improve the run game, use Andy as the measuring stick to determine if those areas are improving, then put in the best prospect we have had in decades.

Don't rush this, don't screw things up, let's build for the future not for today.

Exactly this.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

Exactly this. The OL is very young, there are several new WR's. Let these guys figure it out before Fields gets thrown to the wolves. However, I would like to see Fields for specific, high percentage plays early on. It would catch the defense off guard massively. He's not a gimmick QB like Taysom Hill, defense has to respect his long ball plus his speed, huge contrast to Dalton who is slow and much better at intermediate passes.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

The o line was already a semi functional group last season. They got rid of the weakest link in Leno, get Daniels back and drafted a top OT. I don’t think Fields will be thrown in there unless he’s 100% ready mentally.

Why don’t you think they will maximize the run game if Fields starts over Dalton? I think that will be the game plan with whichever QB they have start. What if the put Fields in there and the OLine is not used to his mobility because they are used to a stationary Dalton? That won’t improve the offense either.

Either way there will be two different “systems”, one for each QB. If your future QB is ready to go after training camp, then start the future.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the determination to when Fields plays is entirely in Nagy's purview. I do believe this pick gives the pair of Nagy and Pace through 2022 to determine their fate unless they completely mess things up this year. I doubt Pace would have been allowed to trade away so much of next year's draft without the intention of retaining him.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the coaching staff feels it is ok to start Fields they probably will....

Remember, also, the coaching staff has made mistakes on this.......ie Foles. So I would not say they are for certain going to be 100% correct

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Did ya'll really expect Fields to be named the starter after 3 days of rookie minicamp? Jets haven't even named Wilson the starter yet and they don't have anyone as good as Foles on their depth chart.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The o line was already a semi functional group last season. They got rid of the weakest link in Leno, get Daniels back and drafted a top OT. I don’t think Fields will be thrown in there unless he’s 100% ready mentally.

Why don’t you think they will maximize the run game if Fields starts over Dalton? I think that will be the game plan with whichever QB they have start. What if the put Fields in there and the OLine is not used to his mobility because they are used to a stationary Dalton? That won’t improve the offense either.

Either way there will be two different “systems”, one for each QB. If your future QB is ready to go after training camp, then start the future.
Lazor was such a good hire compared to the preceding one. Nagy wants to do his fancy thing and Lazor likes to emphasize what works, could work out.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
ARGH!!!!! In a weird way, the situation with Fields - despite being a much better situation - is infinitely more frustrating than the Mitch situation.

Obviously, based solely on college careers, Fields > Mitch. Obviously, based on professional careers, Dalton > Glennon. Both Mitch and Fields were/are shiny new toys that you want to get out of the package and start seeing being played. The major difference here is that Fields is probably infinitely more developed at this point than Mitch, and Fields seems (at least to me) infinitely more intelligent than Mitch. So you can feel confident in Fields "getting it" and being the guy we think he will be, BUT, Dalton is not going to be a flat out embarrassment like Glennon.

So, I repeat: ARGH!!!!!

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I agree. I really think Fields will win the job.
Oh yeah, he's going to win it. Eventually anyway, but for now I'm happy to let him get his reps in practice and take a few snaps in game. Fields is going to have a long career with us (at least we all hope!) so there really is no rush to get him behind center this season.

It is a luxury for a QB to be able to sit and learn. Let's take advantage of that and get Fields's career going on the right foot!

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

The fact is

Okay, so why would Pace and Nagy advance the KC model as a blueprint for Fields? Simple. They were worried about what if he fails. It will buy them another year. They knew how hot their seats were, so they advanced a truth that works. They can say, we always wanted for Fields to sit. Look at the interviews. Yup. This is the plan, always has been the plan, we swearsssssss.

Pace is a slick mofo and knows how to set up a smokescreen. He's got Dalton. He can throw him out there or let nature take its course in TC and watch Fields light up the red rocket.

So, I think the deep desire is to start Fields, but they have their CYA ready to go. It's a truth that will work for them.

CYA is not an issue here for Pace/Nagy because they have sold ownership on giving them a second five year window with a brand new rookie QB to build a Super Bowl contending team.