First candidate emerges

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
From the twitterverse:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 14m

Former Buccaneers defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan will meet with the Bears this week about an assistant job under retained DC Mel Tucker.

Previously Sherridan was linebackers coach with the New York Giants so he may be in line for that position.

D.Hester23

Liked Posts:
Bio not overwhelmingly impressive:

"Prior to being the defensive coordinator he was the Giants linebackers coach. Sheridan replaced Steve Spagnuolo after he left to take the head coaching position with the St. Louis Rams. Sheridan had been the linebackers coach for the Giants for the previous four seasons after his hiring in 2005. Giants' head coach Tom Coughlin promoted Sheridan over secondary coach Peter Giunta. He was fired on January 4, 2010 after the Giants Defense slipped as the team dropped 8 of their last 11 games and allowed 40 points on five different occasions a franchise record.[2]

On January 19, 2010, Sheridan was hired by the Miami Dolphins to coach their inside linebackers.[2]

On February 17, 2012, The Tampa Bay Buccaneers hired Bill Sheridan as their defensive coordinator. He was relieved of his duties on January 2, 2014."

D.Hester23

Liked Posts:
Bio not overwhelmingly impressive:

"Prior to being the defensive coordinator he was the Giants linebackers coach. Sheridan replaced Steve Spagnuolo after he left to take the head coaching position with the St. Louis Rams. Sheridan had been the linebackers coach for the Giants for the previous four seasons after his hiring in 2005. Giants' head coach Tom Coughlin promoted Sheridan over secondary coach Peter Giunta. He was fired on January 4, 2010 after the Giants Defense slipped as the team dropped 8 of their last 11 games and allowed 40 points on five different occasions a franchise record.[2]

On January 19, 2010, Sheridan was hired by the Miami Dolphins to coach their inside linebackers.[2]

On February 17, 2012, The Tampa Bay Buccaneers hired Bill Sheridan as their defensive coordinator. He was relieved of his duties on January 2, 2014."
Although as long as he can teach these guys how to tackle and maintain gap integrity he'd be an upgrade.

The way the guys tackled and executed last year you'd think the position coaches were fairly weak teaching fundamentals.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Coming into Week 7, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ defense ranked fifth overall in Football Outsiders’ opponent-adjusted metrics, but a lot of fans, generally frustrated by the malaise created by head coach Greg Schiano, have been very critical of the schemes used by defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan. Specifically, many fans and some analysts question Sheridan’s decision to use cornerback Darrelle Revis frequently in zone coverage when Revis, in his first season with the Bucs after six years with the New York Jets, is perhaps the best man-coverage defender of his generation.

Last week, Sheridan popped off at the fans, inviting them to show up at One Buc Place if they think they’re so smart.

“What I want to invite them to do is join us. I get here about 5:20 every single morning, and they’re more than welcome to hang around here until about 11 [p.m.] for the first four nights of the week and they can help us put the whole gameplan together,” Sheridan said on Thursday.

“We’ve got all the free Cokes you want in the building and we’ll be happy to take those suggestions on how we can better use Darrelle. Trust me when I tell you we painstakingly game plan how best to use all of our personnel, not just Darrelle.”

http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/20/tampa-bay-defense-atlanta-falcons/

Hope they keep the press away from him or half this board may be at Hallas Hall come 5am.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I'm sure Trestman has a few coaches lined up.

rudder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
and allowed 40 points on five different occasions a franchise record

We gave up four 40 point games this year, is that a record?

winterwarz

Although as long as he can teach these guys how to tackle and maintain gap integrity he'd be an upgrade.

The way the guys tackled and executed last year you'd think the position coaches were fairly weak teaching fundamentals.

It's shocking that an NFL coach is responsible for teaching professional football players, especially veterans, how to tackle. Haven't these guys been playing tackle football since they were 5?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
It's shocking that an NFL coach is responsible for teaching professional football players, especially veterans, how to tackle. Haven't these guys been playing tackle football since they were 5?

ESPN's "JACKED UP" segments have done a great job of unteaching players how to tackle.

D.Hester23

Liked Posts:
I agree it's baffling and the players should know their fundamentals but when it was apparent week in and week out that missed tackles were an issue then the position coaches should have address the issue whether or not the players already "should have" known how to execute. Because obviously they were not executing their fundamentals properly

winterwarz

I agree it's baffling and the players should know their fundamentals but when it was apparent week in and week out that missed tackles were an issue then the position coaches should have address the issue whether or not the players already "should have" known how to execute. Because obviously they were not executing their fundamentals properly

Woah woah woah...so missed tackles aren't Mel Tucker's fault? Players and position coaches should be held accountable? That's crazy talk.

D.Hester23

Liked Posts:
Woah woah woah...so missed tackles aren't Mel Tucker's fault? Players and position coaches should be held accountable? That's crazy talk.
Lol i hear ya but it's ignorant to put the blame on one person

-- NFL caliber players should not be missing tackles and assignments as frequently as the bears defenders did last season

-- position coaches, after seeing their players miss tackles week in and out should have reinforced the fundamentals. Position coaches have the most one on one time to work on these things with players

-- tucker should have adjusted his scheme and done a better job of communicating the necessary adjustments to put guys in position to succeed

**everyone on this defense is to blame. Not one group or person. All I said to start was that hopefully whoever they bring in at position coach is an upgrade (which shouldn't be hard to do because our old position coaches didn't even reinforce/teach fundamentals).

And lastly, tucker is definitely at fault but may be the least of blame. His "NFL caliber players" didn't execute the fundamentals. He doesn't have time to teach players one on one to tackle and fill gaps; rather, he addresses the group as a whole so his position coaches were failing one on one. I was hoping tucker would be fired too for a new scheme but let's cut him some slack considering he dealt with injuries, the players on the field weren't good and experienced, he wasn't truly running his scheme with his personel. I'm trying to stay optimistic he can improve with healthy personel that suits him and his scheme

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
From the twitterverse:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 14m

Former Buccaneers defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan will meet with the Bears this week about an assistant job under retained DC Mel Tucker.

Previously Sherridan was linebackers coach with the New York Giants so he may be in line for that position.

Omg worst candidate.a former giant lb coach. Even giant fans that I work with cant name a decent LBer since the early 90's. Hell they can't even name all the starters.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I have to wonder if Sheridan helped get Tucker his first coaching job at Michigan State when Tucker was a graduate assistant. They crossed paths in East Lansing in 1998 when Sheridan was the LB coach and Tucker became a GA. I wonder if this is Tucker's way of helping to repay an old friend that helped get him started.

I think it's fair speculation, but there's obviously no way to confirm it.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Another Jaguars possible interest

"Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 42m
Be interesting to see if #Bears pursue #Jags LB coach Mark Duffner, who has worked with Mel Tucker. Don't know if Duffner is out of contract
Expand"

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Mark Duffner
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mark Duffner
Sport(s) Football
Current position
Title Linebackers coach
Team Jacksonville Jaguars
Biographical details
Born July 19, 1953 (age 60)
Annandale, Virginia
Alma mater William & Mary
Playing career
1972–1974 William & Mary
Position(s) Defensive lineman
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1975–1976
1977–1980
1981–1985
1986–1991
1992–1996
1997–2000
2001–2002
2003–2005
2006–present Ohio State (GA)
Cincinnati (DC)
Holy Cross (DC)
Holy Cross
Maryland
Cincinnati Bengals (LB)
Cincinnati Bengals (DC/LB)
Green Bay Packers (LB)
Jacksonville Jaguars (LB)
Head coaching record
Overall 80–40–1
Accomplishments and honors
Awards
Eddie Robinson Award (1987)
AFCA Division I-AA Coach of the Year (1987)
Mark Duffner (born July 19, 1953) is an American football coach. He served as the head coach of the Maryland Terrapins football team from 1992 to 1996.
Prior to Maryland, Duffner served as the head coach at Holy Cross where he compiled a 60–5–1 record. At Maryland, Duffner compiled a 20–35 record with no bowl game appearances. Duffner's only winning season came in 1995 when the Terps finished with a 6–5 record and started with four consecutive wins. His most important legacy at Maryland has been in the record books where most of the longstanding single game, season, and career passing and receiving record were broken during his tenure. This was due to the implementation of his "run and shoot" offense and quarterbacks John Kaleo, Scott Milanovich, and Brian Cummings. However, his teams were notoriously weak on defense. The Terps gave up points so quickly that even their prolific offense couldn't keep up.[1]
After leaving Maryland, Duffner became an assistant with the Cincinnati Bengals from 1997 to 2002, where he served as linebackers coach and then defensive coordinator. From 2003 to 2005, he served with the Green Bay Packers. In early 2006, he was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars as the linebackers coach.

winterwarz

The majority of posters here love believing the Bears would win the SB every year if not for one person. There's a constant witch hunt to find the sole offender who ruins the team's chances every year. "If only we fired/cut Cutler or Tucker or Earl Bennett or Chris Conte...then we would win it all." Maybe this quick fix mentality provides hope to the otherwise distraught and hopeless. When in reality, a single player like the QB has nothing to do with how bad a defense plays. And a DC can't be held responsible for professional football players not being able to make tackles. It's just easier to crucify one guy and make him the scapegoat than acknowledge that multiple problems exist, and there is not necessarily a quick fix.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
The majority of posters here love believing the Bears would win the SB every year if not for one person. There's a constant witch hunt to find the sole offender who ruins the team's chances every year. "If only we fired/cut Cutler or Tucker or Earl Bennett or Chris Conte...then we would win it all." Maybe this quick fix mentality provides hope to the otherwise distraught and hopeless. When in reality, a single player like the QB has nothing to do with how bad a defense plays. And DC can't be held responsible for professional football players not being able to make tackles. It's just easier to crucify one guy and make him the scapegoat than acknowledge that multiple problems exist, and there is not necessarily a quick fix.

Well, very little, but there are some indirect ways one side of the ball influences another. A good QB that can put together a long drive benefits a defense by giving them rest. On the flipside, an offense that scores quick or goes 3 and out a lot is more likely to lose time of possession and the defense will see the field more, leading them to be gassed by the 4th quarter.

But yes, generally people want their pound of flesh, and they want it public and someone high priority. Sometimes, it is the underlings that are the issue, and replacing them with more competent people is what will make all the difference.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
We should sign J'Marcus Webb for this job. Every person he touch turned into a sack/tackling machine.