First Full Mock Off-Season

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Goals

1. Find the long term answer at QB.
2. Fix the secondary
3. Replace Alshon Jeffery (I think he is gone).
4. Find a 3rd down/change of pace back
5. Improve depth on in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Notable Cuts

- Jay Cutler
- Lamarr Houston
- Eddie Royal
- Tracy Porter

Cap Savings - 27.6 million.

Alshon Jeffery Contract Situation

- With the Bears not seeming to want to pay Alshon elite WR money (fair enough considering recent history) and the likelihood that some team in FA will pay for him, I think they will let the receiver go and move on from. A talented receiver but injury plagued.

Big Man Contract Extension

Akiem Hicks - Lock up the big man long term - 4yr/38 million - 15 million guaranteed. Makes him the 8th highest paid 3-4 DE. Just above Derek Wolfe and Jurell Casey.

Notable Free Agents

1. Stephon Gilmore CB - 5yr/72.5 million - 28 million guaranteed - Instead of paying Alshon this type of money, I think it would be better spent on a player like Gilmore in the Bears putrid secondary. Gilmore in his last 6 games only allowed something like 15 receptions, 180 yards and 1 TD with 3 interceptions going up against players like Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper and Terrelle Pryor. The Bears need a legitimate #1 CB and Gilmore provides that and from a player in his prime years.

2. Duron Harmon FS - 4yr/26 million - 9 million guaranteed - Harmon is a player the Bears will have to pay a premium for simply coming from the SB winning Patriots system and due to the lack of playmakers in the safety market. His total production might have you wondering if he deserves that kind of money but this is what the market will be. That being said, Harmon is in his prime and has been productive when on the field for the Patriots and he deserves an opportunity to start somewhere.

3. Desean Jackson WR - 2yr/16 million - 7 million guaranteed - Forget Pierre Garcon, Desean Jackson is the type of WR this team needs. The Bears lack speed on the offensive side of the ball and even at age 30, Desean Jackson still has the capability to stretch defenses and make big plays.

4. Sylvester Williams DL - 3yr/15 million - 6 million guaranteed - Coming over from the Broncos, John Fox will have a good knowledge of Williams and how to use him. He looks he can play in many different spots and would be a great rotational player who can plug in at DE or NT.

5. Brian Hoyer QB - 2yr/8 million - 2 million guaranteed - Hoyer is one of the best backup QB's in the league and having a guy in the locker room that knows the system will help any rookie we bring in.

6. Gavin Escobar TE - 2yr/7.5 - 2 million guaranteed - This to me is a great value signing. Escobar was a former 2nd round pick by the Cowboys who never got an opportunity to play due to Jason Witten continuing to play well in front of him. He has been sitting and learning from one fo the best of most well respected TE's in the business.

NFL Draft -

1. Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett
2. San Francisco 49ers - Mitch Trubisky

3. Chicago Bears - Deshaun Watson - He isn't my first choice but I think he is the choice that Ryan Pace will make to take this team in the future. Watson has great off-field intangibles and shows exemplary leadership abilities. He has the physical makeup to be a good QB in this league but he will need to continue to refine his accuracy and decision making skills at the next level in order to be a franchise QB.

36. Marcus Williams, FS

67. Chidobe Awuzie, CB

100. Levon Myers, OT

130. Taywan Taylor, WR

162. T.J Logan, RB

192. Javancy Jones, OLB

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'll take it. FA looks just about right. One big signing and then a few other guys to fill holes. Pace seems to like prove it deals, so I could see that happening with a few FA's. I don't think the Bears go after Jackson though, he's just to old and goes against Pace's philosophy of getting younger. I think they will find a younger WR in FA. I also don't think they sign a TE in FA, but opt for one through the draft given this years class.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
What? This is stupid because these players suck and you didn't get the right ones.

This is great because these players are great.

Jimmy G

/End thread

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What? This is stupid because these players suck and you didn't get the right ones.

This is great because these players are great.

Jimmy G

/End thread

Shut It Down!

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I'll take it. FA looks just about right. One big signing and then a few other guys to fill holes. Pace seems to like prove it deals, so I could see that happening with a few FA's. I don't think the Bears go after Jackson though, he's just to old and goes against Pace's philosophy of getting younger. I think they will find a younger WR in FA. I also don't think they sign a TE in FA, but opt for one through the draft given this years class.

Jackson isn't that old and you can't have all guys under the age of 30 on your team. You have to have some vets on the team. This is already a pretty young team as it is.

Desean Jackson brings something to this team they haven't had since Johnny Knox was here, a legitimate over the top vertical threat.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I would be supportive of this offseason. I would be sad that Jeffrey left, but what can you do. He has spent a lot of time injured and probably wants to play somewhere else.

As far as your QB choice goes, I like Watson more than I like Trubisky, so I can support that. This offseason plan puts more building blocks in place to be a perennial playoff team, and gives us stuff to look forward to next year.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Gavin Escobar....?! Oh my....he blows....There's a reason that Dallas went in another direction at TE and left him behind....

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Gavin Escobar....?! Oh my....he blows....There's a reason that Dallas went in another direction at TE and left him behind....

Another direction? Jason Witten has been starting the entire team he was there. He was never given an opportunity to really start. Witten hasn't missed a game since 2003.

They haven't drafted a TE before the 6th round or signed another guy since.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only day one starter in your entire draft is Watson, hate it. Garcon is the WR you want, not Jackson.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The only day one starter in your entire draft is Watson, hate it. Garcon is the WR you want, not Jackson.

You know this how?

Marcus Williams and Duron Harmon could start next to each other. Harmon is capable of playing SS, he actually came into the league expecting to play that role.

Awuzie could very well be the #2 by seasons end.

T.J Logan will contribute on 3rd downs and in the return game.

So you want to pickup another WR who comes from the same mold as White and Meredith? He is a possession receiver with no ability to challenge a team vertically.

You tell me which WR keeps defensive coordinators up late at night more, Desean Jackson or Pierre Garcon? Easy answer.

Just to add to that, the reason there are no starters right away is because I used free agency to pretty much blanket all the team needs. CB, S, DL, WR. Which rookie after the first round is going to walk in and start immediately at any of the positions? Could make the argument at CB but I thought the team could use more talent at the safety position and Marcus Williams is a good talent.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If your two biggest FA signings are DB's, I don't think you then go and draft two more in rounds 2-3. Db's by nature is a position that takes draftees a minimum of 2 years, and more often three to learn. Jackson not only keeps DC up at night, he keeps his own coaching staff sleepless as well. What the Bears need are sure handed receivers, this over the top stuff is severely over rated. Give me a clutch receiver with good hands to chain to a rookie QB.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've been thinking about this quite a bit and I think that I have come around to the Jimmy G. scenario IF they can trade their 2nd round pick for him and not spend some untoward amount on him to sign with them. I say this because he is still only 25 years old and does have some NFL experience. I would also try like hell to trade their first pick for additional picks like getting their a first and a second for it and drafting an OT and a S while getting a TE in the 3rd round.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Though I would probably want to spend either that 2nd/3rd round pick on a WR (DeDe Westbrook) or TE(Njoku), this is the best attempt I've seen to have a successful offseason while letting AJ walk. In the end it would still hurt a lot. Jeffery is a big red-zone target that forces teams to game-plan around him. Losing him in his prime would really, really hurt if he finds a way to stay healthy next year.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Though I would probably want to spend either that 2nd/3rd round pick on a WR (DeDe Westbrook) or TE(Njoku), this is the best attempt I've seen to have a successful offseason while letting AJ walk. In the end it would still hurt a lot. Jeffery is a big red-zone target that forces teams to game-plan around him. Losing him in his prime would really, really hurt if he finds a way to stay healthy next year.

I like mine better, takes into account AJ won't be resigned.

FA

Gilmore
Tony Jefferson
Pierre Garcon
Calais Campbell

Pre-draft Chicago trades #36 and 2018 2nd for JG

1) Garrett
2) Trubinsky
3) Chicago trades #3 to Cleveland for #12, #33, and 2018 2nd.......... Cleveland selects Watson

12) Corey Davis
33) Taylor Moton
67) Vincent Talyor
109) Jake Butt
115) Josh Jones
148) Rayshawn Jenkins

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

FA

Gilmore
Tony Jefferson
Pierre Garcon
Calais Campbell

1) Garrett
2) Trubinsky
3) Chicago trades #3 to Cleveland for #12, #33, and 2018 2nd.......... Cleveland selects Watson

12) Corey Davis
33) Taylor Moton
67) Vincent Talyor
109) Jake Butt
115) Josh Jones
148) Rayshawn Jenkins

Now that's just wishful thinking....you can't predict a trade like that...Plus, in that scenario Browns could keep their picks and get JG if they really want a QB that much or they could wait until they pick to get Watson or Kizer. Even then, the Browns just need good players. They are better off taking their chances and if it doesnt work out than signing a stop gap as they fill out their roster.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

FA

Gilmore
Tony Jefferson
Pierre Garcon
Calais Campbell

1) Garrett
2) Trubinsky

12) Corey Davis
33) Taylor Moton
67) Vincent Talyor
109) Jake Butt
115) Josh Jones
148) Rayshawn Jenkins

This is terribly unrealistic.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
If your two biggest FA signings are DB's, I don't think you then go and draft two more in rounds 2-3. Db's by nature is a position that takes draftees a minimum of 2 years, and more often three to learn. Jackson not only keeps DC up at night, he keeps his own coaching staff sleepless as well. What the Bears need are sure handed receivers, this over the top stuff is severely over rated. Give me a clutch receiver with good hands to chain to a rookie QB.

Have you seen this secondary?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well thought out, reasonable, even realistic.

Major needs addressed, QB of the future in the fold, even the contract numbers are pretty realistic.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Well thought out, reasonable, even realistic.

Major needs addressed, QB of the future in the fold, even the contract numbers are pretty realistic.

Always good to have the approval of the Official CCS Mocker.