Cuts: 18 million

OT Bobbie Massie 7.5 million [June 1]
TE Jimmy Graham 8.5 million [June 1]
CB Buster Skrine 3 million
WR Javon Wims 1 million
LB Joel Iggy 1 million

21 million-3 million [Top 51 coming back on]=18 million

Cap Space: 14 million

After obvious cuts and before we re-work deals the Bears will have only 14 million in cap space on a 180 million dollar cap. The higher the cap is from 180 you can add that into the 14 million.

Not good.

Is that figuring in filling out the roster to 53 players and accounting for a slight difference that the #1 and #2 draft picks will have (they are over the league minimum in salary).

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is that figuring in filling out the roster to 53 players and accounting for a slight difference that the #1 and #2 draft picks will have (they are over the league minimum in salary).

The Bears will likely add 16 players that are above the 51 cut off. Those would push lower paid players off. You can likely add 9.5 million for those guys coming off as others come on.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears will likely add 16 players that are above the 51 cut off. Those would push lower paid players off. You can likely add 9.5 million for those guys coming off as others come on.
Which puts you at an effective Cap space of 5 mil. I think Hicks is a cap casualty for sure.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Which puts you at an effective Cap space of 5 mil. I think Hicks is a cap casualty for sure.

With the likely cut they would be around 23 million in cap space.

Extend Fuller and is it closer to 33 million.

Tag Robinson and it is like 15 million.

Luke

Liked Posts:
With the likely cut they would be around 23 million in cap space.

Extend Fuller and is it closer to 33 million.

Tag Robinson and it is like 15 million.

did you count the rookie pool which looks to be around 6mil and the cost of the vet QB they trade for like Ryan or Carr.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
did you count the rookie pool which looks to be around 6mil and the cost of the vet QB they trade for like Ryan or Carr.

No, that does not take into account what they need for rookies. I also did not include trades that will not happen.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Sometimes defensive linemen stay good into old age. Certainly more so than all but the most elite cornerbacks.

I love what Kyle Fuller has done since the Bears shrugged off the Packers attempt at a poison pill but I am wary of paying for him into his thirties. Jaylon Johnson can be a real stud if the Bears can keep him healthy and Kindle Vildor looked awfully good. Its really a case where one more year of Kyle Fuller sounds great, but much beyond that seems not worth the investment.
Fuller will be fine into his thirties. When he loses a step, he is the perfect player to switch to safety then.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fuller had a down year because our billion dollar pass rush sucked ass.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Fuller will be fine into his thirties. When he loses a step, he is the perfect player to switch to safety then.

And the "move from corner to safety" talk begins.

Peanut Tillman says hello.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Hicks absolutely fits the mold of someone you should probably move on from one year early rather than one year late. And he’s costing you $12M in cap charge. I think what’s maybe most likely, though, is that the Bears just let him play out the rest of his contract and let it expire after this coming year.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Fuller has the second highest cap hit of any corner in the league. That’s a big price for one interception this past year and an unconventional technique that allows everything in front.

The Bears have to figure out a way to lower that, whether it’s an extension or a trade. I’m not suggesting they absolutely **should** trade him. I’m just saying, he is very tradeable, because whoever you’d send him to only takes on a portion of his guaranteed cap hit. In any case, something has to be done there.

gocbears

Liked Posts:
And the "move from corner to safety" talk begins.

Peanut Tillman says hello.
A more effective pass rush would make all of the secondary look better (except for Skrine/Shelley). Fuller and Johnson seem to be a good combo in the foreseeable future.
Devils advocates would say Fuller already plays that far off receivers, and from what I saw this season, he seems to hit harder than Jackson.