Foles about to have a new home

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
According to this article, Bears are fielding calls for Foles. The author seems to think Foles will have a new home soon.

I think Foles’ contract hit on another team is around 1.5 mil! So, the lure of him is that he’s a viable backup that is super cheap. He may actually net us a day 3 pick due to this.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I think Foles’ contract hit on another team is around 1.5 mil! So, the lure of him is that he’s a viable backup that is super cheap. He may actually net us a day 3 pick due to this.
I don't know about the cap hit, but even at his 2022 salary (4mil I think) he would be a worthwhile investment for somebody. I also believe that Foles was as ill served as Trubisky and any of the QBs we had here under Nagy's "system" and the way he called it.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
They'll be lucky to get a conditional 7th rounder next year for Foles.

Most likely he's cut after June 1st.

Teams are limited to 2 players per year that can be designated as June 1 cuts. The bears have already designated Tarik Cohen and Danny Trevathan as post June 1 cuts.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
- I'll believe it when I see it
- However -There was no reason to pay him the bonus unless they were confident they could move him
- However to that - it wouldn't be the first questionable move this offseason to pay him the money then be forced to release him

Also - There is no reason to have a 3rd QB this year. If it gets to that point, I would rather actively tank and run out 40 year old Craig Krenzel to manage the game.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Teams are limited to 2 players per year that can be designated as June 1 cuts. The bears have already designated Tarik Cohen and Danny Trevathan as post June 1 cuts.
Isn't that just for the post June 1st designation if used before June 1st? I could be wrong, but I think they could just literally wait until after June 1st and then release him.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Isn't that just for the post June 1st designation if used before June 1st? I could be wrong, but I think they could just literally wait until after June 1st and then release him.

I believe you are correct. I misunderstood the post I was replying to.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Also - There is no reason to have a 3rd QB this year. If it gets to that point, I would rather actively tank and run out 40 year old Craig Krenzel to manage the game.

Until you've had your sure thing starter go for 3 years without any big hits or injuries there is always a reason to have a 3rd. If we get a 4th QB then it would be safer to assume that points to Foles being gone.

Many around here would love to tank. That thinking is not part of the team or coaching staff. That's why we have been middle pick so often. I even remember many years that would've been easy to say we blew the first half of the season, let's play for draft pick from here on, and we don't.

Don't confuse anything I'm saying with wanting Foles or thinking tanking is a bad idea. I never thought Foles was any good and have called for tanking many times. I'm just trying to talk a little sense into the complete BS Chicago reporters spew.
Of course we're trying to get rid of Foles, we've been trying to get rid of Foles after that 1st year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You can cut an unlimited number of players after June 1.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Until you've had your sure thing starter go for 3 years without any big hits or injuries there is always a reason to have a 3rd. If we get a 4th QB then it would be safer to assume that points to Foles being gone.

Many around here would love to tank. That thinking is not part of the team or coaching staff. That's why we have been middle pick so often. I even remember many years that would've been easy to say we blew the first half of the season, let's play for draft pick from here on, and we don't.

Don't confuse anything I'm saying with wanting Foles or thinking tanking is a bad idea. I never thought Foles was any good and have called for tanking many times. I'm just trying to talk a little sense into the complete BS Chicago reporters spew.
Of course we're trying to get rid of Foles, we've been trying to get rid of Foles after that 1st year.
You really think the Bears invested $2 million while cap limited to carry 3 QBs?

I can’t see that.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Hate Foles as a player but damn did that guy make money. 78 mil in 10 yrs. Have to respect that.
I hate what the Bears gave up to get him, but the dude is a really good backup. I honestly think the bears would be wiser to just keep him, unless they get something decent in return. I personally don't think they'll get what his worth is to the QB room.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Foles and EVERY other QB will be better outside of Nagy's shitstorm, so Foles does still have some game...as a backup of course. Only a desperate team would inquire, and won't trade anything for him. He'll be cut for sure.

He gone from CHI b/c he's not at all mobile and can't run the same plays as Fields. Just a different QB style is all. Makes sense they picked up Simeon who's also more mobile.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
You really think the Bears invested $2 million while cap limited to carry 3 QBs?

I can’t see that.

You can't see it? I can't remember them not having 3 QBs, even when we had other positions who could've easily filled the 3rd spot if needed. It's not a memorable position so I could not remember but I definitely remember years thinking we should go with 2 and not.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
insert <well we're waiting.gif/>

jive

Liked Posts:
You can't see it? I can't remember them not having 3 QBs, even when we had other positions who could've easily filled the 3rd spot if needed. It's not a memorable position so I could not remember but I definitely remember years thinking we should go with 2 and not.
Tyler Bray spent many seasons on the practice squad, while we only carried 2 QBs on the active roster.

Reactions: Myk