Football Outsiders: Bears Grade "F"

Visionman

Liked Posts:
There's some truth here, but I want to be clear, the reason that those "middling "2nd round" offensive talents mattered here is because Poles didn't adequately address the room this far in the rest of the offseason.

Ultimately those guys still went in the 2nd round. So between that and not signing a notable WR in FA, Poles apparently thinks the league overvalues WR. He may be right, but that's some "smartest guy in the room" thinking, so it's even more likely that he just doesn't appropriately value WR (or the related impact on QB development). -And if we have another one of those guys, God help us. All the defensive value in the world won't overcome an under-resourced offense in the modern NFL.

But with that being said, he still gets time to make it right. I just hope he finds that better time to invest in offense because:
1) Historically, WRs take time to develop, so it's unlikely to be fixed in next off-season without the type of splash that he's voiced aversion to.
2) The roster right now, with a dangerously unproven O Line and inadequate WRs, is exactly how you train a QB (one that struggles with making quick decisions) to see ghosts. Hopefully Getsy can adjust to the roster he actually has better than Poles.

I'm all for realizing that you couldn't get it done and attempting to sign Fuller or Landry. No idea if they want to come here. Just hope you can get them on a deal that's 2 years or less.
It’s not that he doesn’t value WRs. It’s that the WRs available were not good choices for what he envisions the team becoming. Throwing money at FAs or drafting guys who “kind of” fit just because you need a certain position isn’t wise…

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Not a single thing the reviewer said was wrong. You hamburgers are too much of homers to realize they did nothing to help Field and we still have the least talent in the NFL

How useful are draft grades five minutes after the draft?

Time will tell who got it right and who got it wrong...Nothing else will.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
That's how I feel. I think Poles had a really good Day 3 in getting a ton of picks to see if he can find a couple of contributors. And they kind of needed a punter, so it's not like they burned their 11th and final pick. Taking a safety with his second pick is questionable, but it's not like he took a shitty player.
How can you grade any draft an F? Every team is drafting good players on paper as long as they’re not taking 7th rounders with their day 1 pick. I think the worst you can give a team is C- if they are generally reaching and you don’t agree with the philosophy of positions or something like that. And that’s as someone that hated the second round picks. He gets a C, for typical Bears, Jerry Angelo level draft

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a single thing the reviewer said was wrong. You hamburgers are too much of homers to realize they did nothing to help Field and we still have the least talent in the NFL
Somebody can have an opinion that’s not necessarily wrong but still be fucking Special person

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
How can you grade any draft an F? Every team is drafting good players on paper as long as they’re not taking 7th rounders with their day 1 pick. I think the worst you can give a team is C- if they are generally reaching and you don’t agree with the philosophy of positions or something like that. And that’s as someone that hated the second round picks. He gets a C, for typical Bears, Jerry Angelo level draft
An F is harsh. C or C- is more fair. It's hard to ever grade a draft less than a C as long as you're taking players projected around that general area, then you know, you're getting good, young talent.
Are you sure about giving them a C- or a C?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If the media was rating the bears draft as an A, all the Poles nut huggers would be using it as proof the bears had a great draft. But since the bears are getting ripped by everyone in the media, it’s a irrelevant.

Lol
Yup and I sure wouldn't give it an A either. It's a B for me but closer to C than A if I had to come off that. Poles didn't do anything special to warrant an A, even if he didn't make errors. If Jones doesn't contribute that much, it's a C. There's enough late round picks that you expect a few to stick. If you get some decent play this year from any of them outside of the expected reps of a RB, it's all good.

Still a wok in progress and I'm sure he's not done. You can't fix this many holes in one draft.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
And now we reach the worst part of the off-season with 3 months of:

“You’re wrong!”

“No you’re wrong!!”

“Let’s wait until they play a game!!!”
You forgot, "It takes 3 years to come to a conclusion on a player."

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s not that he doesn’t value WRs. It’s that the WRs available were not good choices for what he envisions the team becoming. Throwing money at FAs or drafting guys who “kind of” fit just because you need a certain position isn’t wise…
Let's hope that's what it is. I look and see Will Fuller is very different than Jarvis Landry, is very different than Skyy Moore... Pickens... DJ Chark, Allen Robinson, MVS, Julio, Pierce, Metchie etc.... and he hasn't really been attached to any of them at this point. If none of these guys fit, that's a concern in and of itself. He ended up getting the guy that isn't "just" a WR but also brings return ability. Until I see what does fit as a WR, I'm stuck seeing that almost everything you could want- young, fast, big, vet, cheaper, prove it, long term, it was all there and he said no thanks. All I can say is he wants unheralded speedsters that he doesn't have to invest much into.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Rando dude says the draft was an F. I care as much about that as I do the guy who gives the draft an A. The only score that matters is the one on the field.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's hope that's what it is. I look and see Will Fuller is very different than Jarvis Landry, is very different than Skyy Moore... Pickens... DJ Chark, Allen Robinson, MVS, Julio, Pierce, Metchie etc.... and he hasn't really been attached to any of them at this point. If none of these guys fit, that's a concern in and of itself. He ended up getting the guy that isn't "just" a WR but also brings return ability. Until I see what does fit as a WR, I'm stuck seeing that almost everything you could want- young, fast, big, vet, cheaper, prove it, long term, it was all there and he said no thanks. All I can say is he wants unheralded speedsters that he doesn't have to invest much into.
considering those guys were possible, if V J ones turns out to be nothing more than a return guy, which I suspect will be the case, this will be a bad draft over the long haul, unless we hit on at least 2 of the 7th rounders, which is a reach

Reactions: Myk

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yet, I was called a racist by you when I was critical of Poles failing to do enough for Fields in free agency.

Now, I'm actually supportive of Poles drafting Gordon and Brisker. He took two great players, that happened to be the best value in position of need. Its just, that there is frustration because he didn't address the offense adequately in free agency. He went directly to trying to overpay Ogunjobi. There was always the potential for WR and OL to not be the best value in the draft. You can't leave that big of a hole heading into the draft.
Because you supported Ryan Pace when he was indefensible after 7 years and were already out on Poles before the draft even started. Can you please try not to be brane ded for 5 min. Thank you.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's difficult to say that any draft with 2 immediate ( and perennial) starters is a 'bad' draft. If you end up with 3, it's a VG draft and that's when you own a 1st round pick which we obviously sis not. Of course those things still needs to happen. Top rated 2nd rounders can bust out too. You want to build via the draft but you can't fix everything on a 6 win team with bunch of cap casualties in one year/draft.

Poles has still got work to do but at least we know he sleeps. Said so at the presser.:)

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
1651498283759.png
People are still missing the point. "The Bears just wasted TWO 1st round picks by abandoning Fields"

Who knows how this all turns out. The biggest issue is and will always be George McCaskey. When it was obvious Pace and Nagy should have been fired, they weren't. When it was obvious you couldn't let Pace use future resources to allow himself to save his own ass, you allowed it.

The amateurish pattern of the Chicago Bears to never have a complete rebuild where the GM picks the HC and together they pick a QB is still a massive issue. They can say whatever they want but actions speak louder than words.

Nagy is a major addition by subtraction but if people think thats enough with a roster this poor....Well i just wish i could be as hopeful as you guys. Sorry, i've watched too much non-Bears football to think this, whatever this is, is good enough for a young QB.

I wish fans could have a qtr of the standards for offensive talent and production than they do defense. But i guess when this is all you've known, you don't know any better.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone dogging on Angelo, he put together a superbowl roster lol. If that's Poles floor awesome.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
View attachment 19622
People are still missing the point. "The Bears just wasted TWO 1st round picks by abandoning Fields"

Who knows how this all turns out. The biggest issue is and will always be George McCaskey. When it was obvious Pace and Nagy should have been fired, they weren't. When it was obvious you couldn't let Pace use future resources to allow himself to save his own ass, you allowed it.

The amateurish pattern of the Chicago Bears to never have a complete rebuild where the GM picks the HC and together they pick a QB is still a massive issue. They can say whatever they want but actions speak louder than words.

Nagy is a major addition by subtraction but if people think thats enough with a roster this poor....Well i just wish i could be as hopeful as you guys. Sorry, i've watched too much non-Bears football to think this, whatever this is, is good enough for a young QB.

I wish fans could have a qtr of the standards for offensive talent and production than they do defense. But i guess when this is all you've known, you don't know any better.

With the $140million(?) available next off-season, Poles has to spend 80%+ on the offense. Anything less and I will rip whatever is left of my dick off from the Pace regime.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Everyone dogging on Angelo, he put together a superbowl roster lol. If that's Poles floor awesome.

Jerry's ego got in the way. Trading Jones and keeping Benson was a massive mistake. And letting his coaches make roster decisions(trading Olsen).

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jerry's ego got in the way. Trading Jones and keeping Benson was a massive mistake. And letting his coaches make roster decisions(trading Olsen).
The Jones trade did that team in. I am not championing for Angelo, he was setup with the 2000 draft. I don't fault him for Colombo, bad luck. Haynes however.. jfc. I wanted Suggs and that idiot traded down!

EDIT: Could you imagine Urlacher, Brown, Suggs, Briggs, Tillman, Alex Brown, Ogunleye, Tommie Harris. wow.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sounds like a couple idiot ccs posters wrote this article…
Or, someone who understands the problems and knows what steps to take to address them. Last year the Bears D was 22nd in points allowed and 11th in yards allowed. They are middle of the pack. The current defense is good enough to win with if it was paired with a competent offense . The offense was so bad that if you would paired it with a top 5 D you still would be lucky to win 8-9 games. Last season the D finished 9th of the 16 NFC teams, improving the DBs maybe we will improve to 8th of 16, but the offense was 14th of 16 and we didn't improve at all, while the other teams did. So, last year we had an average D and a bottom 3 offense and now we should have an average D and a bottom 2 offense.

Even with the scheme change the offense is the major problem and will hold back Fields development which should be the most important thing to improve the team. If they don't develop a young QB in the first couple years you need to start over no matter how good the D is. Remember when we improved the defense until they were the #1 defense in the league but did not develop Trubisky, that's how we got here. We are doing the same thing again.