bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I have much more confidence in a quarterback developing their arm strength in the NFL than I do them developing accuracy. I think the Mac Jones hype got a little carried away over the past month, but this article bumps his appraisal down to a second round talent again and that to me is an overcorrection. Pat Mahomes made arm strength cool again, but I think it had started to fall out of favor for a reason.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Arm strength was the main reason Deshaun Watson fell down the draft boards leading up to the 2017. His resume clearly was deserving of the #1 pick, but he couldn't throw the ball fast enough.

Let's start paying attention to the resume that these guys put out abd out some stock in that. Jones had the best season for any QB this year and won the national champion. His stats are the best in the nation as well.

To me,, He is certainly deserving of the #3 pick.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Sounds like Jones is the anti Bobby Douglas. No rifle and no wheels. But everything else. Sounds good to me.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arm strength was the main reason Deshaun Watson fell down the draft boards leading up to the 2017. His resume clearly was deserving of the #1 pick, but he couldn't throw the ball fast enough.

Let's start paying attention to the resume that these guys put out abd out some stock in that. Jones had the best season for any QB this year and won the national champion. His stats are the best in the nation as well.

To me,, He is certainly deserving of the #3 pick.

That was a concern completely made up by the internet after the combine purely based off of the velocity numbers. There was no actual scouting report or any film on him that called into question his arm strength.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't get excited about Mac Jones. Even after reading about how accurate he is under pressure (high completion percentage).

I just get this feeling he'll be overwhelmed in the NFL. Him and Zach Wilson.

Last edited:

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
That was a concern completely made up by the internet after the combine purely based off of the velocity numbers. There was no actual scouting report or any film on him that called into question his arm strength.
I don't remember many questions about his arm strength but their were definitely questions surrounding his accuracy

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I can't get excited about Mac Jones. Even after reading about how accurate he is under pressure (high completion percentage).

I just get this feeling he'll be overwhelmed in the NFL. Him and Zach Wilson.
I feel that way about Lance. Accuracy metrics are awful-he’s able to hit his WRs when they are wide open. Insane athlete learning the QB position. What do you think will happen when he faces elite coverage disguises? He may be great in time, but he is super raw right now.

Jones is the opposite. QB who isn’t a spectacular athlete, but plays every other aspect at a high level.

Lance has the much higher chance of busting than Jones.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

the infamous radar gun

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It was more about the 1/2 field reads and still throwing 17 picks while having the best WR in college. Velocity was not the reason he went at 12. 12 is never a slight.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I like Jones, but he is not a top 5 pick. Just doesn't have the ceiling IMO. Solid floor though. Think about this.. he grades out significantly less than Trubisky. Now grades are very subjective, but just think about that and think about his known athletic limitations. He should go in the middle to late first, but QBs values are no longer realistic.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Football outsiders is far too reputable. Do you have any articles from random internet bloggers with less than 500 followers? Asking for someone else.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think Jones is the second coming of Blake Bortles.

Thats 2 completely different players. A closer comparison would be Chad Pennington or Teddy Bridgewater, 2 weak armed and unathletic QB's

msadows

Liked Posts:
Chad Pennington feels like a solid comp.

Maybe that would be a good comp but Jones has a stronger arm than him.

His arm isn't anything special but its not dogshit like chads was. Chads arm was so weak, then when he got hurt it may have been the shittiest nfl arm I've ever seen in my life. Plenty of NFL QB's past and present have had a mediocre arm like jones.

To me, his absolute peak is drew brees. Meh arm, meh athlete, can move enough to get the job done tho.

Heavily heavily doubt he will ever become as good as brees, or good at all.

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Maybe that would be a good comp but Jones has a stronger arm than him.

His arm isn't anything special but its not dogshit like chads was. Chads arm was so weak, then when he got hurt it may have been the shittiest nfl arm I've ever seen in my life. Plenty of NFL QB's past and present have had a mediocre arm like jones.

To me, his absolute peak is drew brees. Meh arm, meh athlete, can move enough to get the job done tho.

Heavily heavily doubt he will ever become as good as brees, or good at all.
Wow two players arent exactly the same, my bad. Next time i'll find ones with matching fingerprints.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Wow two players arent exactly the same, my bad. Next time i'll find ones with matching fingerprints.

Just saying that chad's arm was probably the worst for an NFL starter in the last few decades. Jones isn't anything like that. He's got more than enough zip to make all the nfl throws.

Other than that they are very similar players. Chad would have been a very good NFL QB if he never got hurt, even with his shit arm. Accuracy + Smarts cant be beat.

Heavily doubt Mac Jones is anything special, but he should be an above average starter in the NFL. He's pretty much the only qb in this draft I'd be happy starting day 1 because I think he can handle it.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Well Chad Pennington is remarkable for being the last guy I can remember who was highly regarded coming in the league but was held back significantly because he lacked arm strength. Those types of player profiles have just disappeared. Some quarterbacks obviously have less arm strength than others but nobody seems to have dealbreaker-bad arm strength anymore.