Football Outsiders: Jones is uninspiring

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Just saying that chad's arm was probably the worst for an NFL starter in the last few decades. Jones isn't anything like that. He's got more than enough zip to make all the nfl throws.
Fair enough. I remember him having a weak arm but not to the point where its the worst of the past 30 years.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Fair enough. I remember him having a weak arm but not to the point where its the worst of the past 30 years.
I don't recall if its the overall weakest arm but definitely the weakest arm I can remember going in the first round. I also don't quite remember the likes of JP Losman or Kyle Boller well, and maybe they were even worse.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't recall if its the overall weakest arm but definitely the weakest arm I can remember going in the first round. I also don't quite remember the likes of JP Losman or Kyle Boller well, and maybe they were even worse.
Funny you mention Losman because i had a Bills QB in mind from that era but i dont remember if he was the one. Trent Edwards maybe? Boller is another. That true, that era did have more candidates for noodle arms.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Funny you mention Losman because i had a Bills QB in mind from that era but i dont remember if he was the one. Trent Edwards maybe? Boller is another. That true, that era did have more candidates for noodle arms.
Did Brady Quinn have the arm strength to cut it? I honestly forget, some of these guys just fall into the memory hole. Christian Ponder is another first round pick who just sucked so comprehensively at football that maybe his poor arm strength was masked by how bad he was at everything else.

I looked up Edwards, he went in the third but oddly enough he sticks in the memory better than the likes of JP Losman or Josh Freeman. The way some of these first round quarterbacks just fade right into obscurity is remarkable

msadows

Liked Posts:

Kyle Boller had one of the strongest arms in nfl history. That wasn't his issue. FYI, he's the idiot who people hyped up for being able to throw from the 50 through the goal posts on his knees.

He's literally that generation of Mitch trubisky, but a better arm and much worse accuracy. Guy ran a 4.6 and threw the ball out the stadium, but couldn't hit a guy 5 yards away.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Kyle Boller had one of the strongest arms in nfl history. That wasn't his issue. FYI, he's the idiot who people hyped up for being able to throw from the 50 through the goal posts on his knees.

He's literally that generation of Mitch trubisky, but a better arm and much worse accuracy. Guy ran a 4.6 and threw the ball out the stadium, but couldn't hit a guy 5 yards away.
I thought that was JaMarcus Russell who famously launched a pristine bomb from his knees and right there Al Davis just knew there was no other choice?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

One of Ozzie's rare misses as a GM

greg23

Liked Posts:
If a guy needs everything around him to be perfect and/or elite.....then he's uninspiring.

Macaroni Jones is uninspiring.

Trading a boat load of picks for him would be awful. He could be successful in SF with their system and roster but would be awful with the bears as currently constructed.

And to me, his comp/upside is; a less athletic andy Dalton....who also needs everything around him to be great and isn't a difference maker.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
The thing that bothers me about Jones most is that he's a one read quarterback. He is not good if he's forced to come off his first read. For all the talk of him being some great pocket quarterback, this is what stood out to me. He locks onto a receiver, and luckily for him that receiver is almost always wide open. He's super over rated in the pocket. It's like because he's white and unathletic he's therefore a good pocket passer. He's not. Both Trask and Mond are better in the pocket, better poise, better processing.

I think if you're expecting him to start day 1 you'll be sorely disappointed. His arm strength is fine and his accuracy is great. When everything goes according to plan, he's good in the pocket, good feet, able to navigate. But take away his first read and add pressure and he's a totally different QB.

I like Jones, but it's crazy that anyone can watch him and think he's a top 5 pick. He's got issues. I think he's much closer to Trask/Mond/Mills than Wilson/Lawrence/Fields.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His arm really isn't that weak.

It is similar to Burrows.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well Chad Pennington is remarkable for being the last guy I can remember who was highly regarded coming in the league but was held back significantly because he lacked arm strength. Those types of player profiles have just disappeared. Some quarterbacks obviously have less arm strength than others but nobody seems to have dealbreaker-bad arm strength anymore.
If he played later, his nickname would have been Hanging Chad to describe his ball flight.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I have much more confidence in a quarterback developing their arm strength in the NFL than I do them developing accuracy. I think the Mac Jones hype got a little carried away over the past month, but this article bumps his appraisal down to a second round talent again and that to me is an overcorrection. Pat Mahomes made arm strength cool again, but I think it had started to fall out of favor for a reason.

Have you ever arm wrestled? Any good quarterback should also be able to arm wrestle. I'd argue arm strength is paramount in any quarterback who wants to succeed in the NFL. And it all starts with arm wrestling.