For All the Cole Kmet SLANDER

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
People can look at what players and still think they are good at something and separate that from where they were drafted and what expectations were.

The crap argument is that the guy is worthless and a bum simply because he didn't live up to his draft position.
I'm not saying he's a bum. But I know we didn't draft Kmet in the second to be a blocker on every down.

First TE taken iirc. Just highlights the Bears incompetence.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is what I tire of tho...we drafted him to be an offensive weapon too. We constantly get this effort assuage disappointment for the primary reasons you draft a guy...like, "Well, Leonard Floyd is a worthless pass rusher...but boy can he chase down a RB laterally!"

Not every player reaches their potential, and Tight Ends notoriously don't start to get real good until year 3, with rare exception.

That you can get very good blocking out of Kmet is a GOOD thing. And frankly, we don't know how the HC next year will use him - if the next guy isn't running a lot of tight end passing options, then Kmet will still have value in his blocking...

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not saying he's a bum. But I know we didn't draft Kmet in the second to be a blocker on every down.

I agree, but lets see how he progresses this year and how he shows up Y3 in the league.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Well so your issue isn't with Kmet, it would be with a GM that built a shitty offensive line and blew his cap space on bad signings(Graham, DT) and wasted too many high picks on trade-ups and bust QB's

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well so your issue isn't with Kmet, it would be with a GM that built a shitty offensive line and blew his cap space on bad signings(Graham, DT) and wasted too many high picks on trade-ups and bust QB's
Well yeah.

We could have found a blocking TE in the 5th...maybe even UDFA.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Is someone saying that he was? I wish he was more productive catching passes too, but he's been meh in that regard.

But situation is important right now too. Fields can't really even get past his second read right now and he has really struggled under pressure. That in part should dictate what Kmet is doing. Lazor recognized that and took advantage of it.

Last edited:

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
I personally like Kmet but you can't ignore the little chemistry that Fields had with James in the preseason. I'd like to see more of that. We are so loaded at TE that they need to utilize them more often as these videos show.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I'm happy if they just leave him in to pass block 80% of the time as a sixth lineman, especially until Fields is able to get to his #3 read consistently.

He was blocking edge rushers one on one last year at times and doing well.
To that point, if they're going to go down that road, then it would be wise to get him involved in the screen game off of play action. When the LBs are reading their keys and he's firing off the ball on every run play, Lazor can use that to his advantage with an occasional screen.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Well yeah.

We could have found a blocking TE in the 5th...maybe even UDFA.

Thats a very good point, but your issue would be with scheme then. We have an offense that is putrid and is still below average(small sample size) at passing the ball with Fields in the game. This is another example of the GM and coach being on completely different pages. If Nagy intended on blocking with his TE all of the time and Pace didn't know that--well it just goes to show a clusterfuck of an organization this is.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I personally like Kmet but you can't ignore the little chemistry that Fields had with James in the preseason. I'd like to see more of that. We are so loaded at TE that they need to utilize them more often as these videos show.
Loaded = 9 catches for 70 yards in 4 games.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
To that point, if they're going to go down that road, then it would be wise to get him involved in the screen game off of play action. When the LBs ate reading their keys and he's firing off the ball on every run play, Lazor can use that to his advantage with an occasional screen.
Definitely, was just thinking that.

Have the Bears even run a non-WR screen this year? If so it's only been a handful. Monty also excels in that part of the game.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Good luck explaining that to some on this board. Why cant Kmet catch more balls when he is blocking and sealing the edge! Bears attempted--some 21 passing plays on Sunday. Why didnt Kmet have a 100yd game?
Yep. CHI's identity, at least when Fields is at QB, will be stacking the line to run the football or stacking it to give Fields as much time as possible. Fields likes looking for the big play at the moment, that's his style of play as a QB and that's the area that he's probably the best in as an NFL QB right now. He's very raw in other ways right now, that development will come with time.

So, you keep dudes like Kmet and Graham and Monty in to block more often than you send them out, so Fields has the time for the big play to develop. Once it develops he'll execute it. Just like we saw him do several times on Sunday. At least one of ARob and Mooney will be open on the majority of plays, and those two are Fields' targets right now.

I feel as though Kmet offers value as a receiver, but that's the role the team deserves him to play, not the one they need him to play right now. I highly doubt he'll ever be that game breaking 1000 yard TE like Kelce/Kittle/Gronk and stuff, but 500 yards + excellent blocking sounds like good value for a 2nd round pick to me.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Remember one of those miraculous catches came on a busted coverage. Special indeed.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Yeah but I didn't mean regarding production.... just meant in position.
Like I said, get those guys out there and USE them. Blocking and catching... there's plenty of them.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah but I didn't mean regarding production.... just meant in position.
Like I said, get those guys out there and USE them. Blocking and catching... there's plenty of them.

You are simply asking for too much with this offense and offensive line, TE will be a glorified 6th OL most of the year. Might as well get used to it.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
You are simply asking for too much with this offense and offensive line, TE will be a glorified 6th OL most of the year. Might as well get used to it.
who cares what it is? We saw with the play calling last week (Lazor) that the OLine all of a sudden look greatly improved. Now with the addition of putting the TE's in the right positions and schemes this lead to production. That's all I'm saying. Believe me, I know our OLine is nothing to write home to about, but I like when you add extra protection and add it to the right scheme. I think we've seen so much from Nagy that nothing gives us optimism but again, Lazor calling plays (just like he did a few games last year), and we totally see a different OLine in general.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Definitely, was just thinking that.

Have the Bears even run a non-WR screen this year? If so it's only been a handful. Monty also excels in that part of the game.
I don't think so. In the past most of the TE screens came off of bubbles split out wide. Agreed on Monty. Williams and Herbert should be able to do well with that to.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Or how about some shots up the seam from the inline position off of play action. Ffs I have to think back to Dez Clark to remember something so simple and effective. Kmet is a matchup nightmare for Lbs that have to carry him up the seam. Nagy is an idiot.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Good blocker, mediocre pass catcher, pretty much what we thought he would be.

Probably not worth a top 50 pick, but a solid contributing player.