For Cubs fans still advocating the Hendry strategy

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aside from the ridiculous Alfonso Soriano contract, I think Jimbo got his money's worth for Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez's contract extensions. The Carlos Zambrano extension obviously didn't work out as well as we would've hoped though. But the Dempster deal was pretty good all things considered. However, none of those will hold a candle to the Longoria Special...the Rays saved shitloads of money because as folks say, Evan Longoria doesn't seem to like money :lol:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Aside from the ridiculous Alfonso Soriano contract, I think Jimbo got his money's worth for Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez's contract extensions. The Carlos Zambrano extension obviously didn't work out as well as we would've hoped though. But the Dempster deal was pretty good all things considered. However, none of those will hold a candle to the Longoria Special...the Rays saved shitloads of money because as folks say, Evan Longoria doesn't seem to like money :lol:

I'm saying nah because I think this is going to become a trend and the FA markets are going to be really watered down in years to come. I just can't see many big names hitting the market, it's going to have to be done via the trade instead of FA signings.

The title is perhaps misleading, I should say "People Advocating for signing a buncha big name FA to fix everything model"

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's sort of what I figured you meant. Hendry's humongous sign was Soriano, the Lilly and Marquis deals were relatively small methinks. Not inconsequential by any means, but still not too bad.

I agree that free agency will be slim pickings in the future and that is why the Cubs are probably trying to load up the farm as best as they can now. Also why they're not going to trade for Stanton right away (that and I doubt the Marlins would want to trade when he's still pre-arb).