Forbes: Blackhawks Ranked 7th On Most Valuable NHL List

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love forbes

anyway, for anyone who is going to start to complain that we are 7th in the NHL....Let me remind you of the fact that we were just a few years ago one of the worst franchises in ALL pro sports.

7 is fine with me, and will only get better.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think at least with PR we're in the top 3..

All the Stanley Cup shows.. The video games/commercials for them.. The regional TV ads..

We are one of the best teams for that.. Which should help our value as time goes on.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
BS, we're the most valuable. :shifty: jk

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
Considering that the organization actually lost money last season, even after winning the Stanley Cup, and taking into account our not so distant past with ticket sales I would have expected us to be lower. I am actually surprised we are ahead of Vancouver and Minnesota because regardless of the respective play of those teams they both sell out every game.

Still I can care less what our overall value is compared with other franchises, so long as the front office and ownership keeps the primary objective to have the best team on the ice year in and year out. Taking the loss on Cristobal Huet's contract this season by sending him to Switzerland has shown us management does place winning as the highest priority.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Considering that the organization actually lost money last season, even after winning the Stanley Cup, and taking into account our not so distant past with ticket sales I would have expected us to be lower. I am actually surprised we are ahead of Vancouver and Minnesota because regardless of the respective play of those teams they both sell out every game.

Still I can care less what our overall value is compared with other franchises, so long as the front office and ownership keeps the primary objective to have the best team on the ice year in and year out. Taking the loss on Cristobal Huet's contract this season by sending him to Switzerland has shown us management does place winning as the highest priority.

I thought we lost money prior to the Cup....

Then combined playoff/championship sales pushed us into the black.

Everyday I'm Byfuglien

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

There is no possible way that the Blackhawks lost money last season.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I remember that article. It's a huge load.

I cannot find a link but I saw a televised interview with Rocky Wirtz over the summer in which he said the Hawks ended the year in the red. That is the same interview in which he made the comment about making money as an NHL owner. Your information is lacking and making blind comments does not change facts. There is a reason why our ticket prices have increased 20% this season.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
It should be pointed out that a lot of revenue is differed to a part of The Wirtz Corporation owned by Rocky's brother for tax purposes. We also built our new training facility this year, Johnnys Icehouse West. We froze ticket prices last season leaving us with the 5th lowest ticket prices in the NHL. There are a lot of factors that go into it but in the end the fact is that ticket revenues and owning half of the United Center did not cover team costs last season.

Everyday I'm Byfuglien

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I cannot find a link but I saw a televised interview with Rocky Wirtz over the summer in which he said the Hawks ended the year in the red. That is the same interview in which he made the comment about making money as an NHL owner. Your information is lacking and making blind comments does not change facts. There is a reason why our ticket prices have increased 20% this season.

Ticket prices went up because they could go up. Constant sell outs for a championship team means demand is high.

Seriously, this is business. There's no benefit in telling the Tribune "HEY, WE'RE RAKING IN MORE MONEY THAN WE CAN COUNT!". You're hearing all this from Rocky... he's a smart, successful guy. He knows what he's doing. Creative accounting. It's nothing new.

As for his comment about NHL owners not making money- answer this one question. Why are there billionaire businessmen fighting to buy NHL franchises? These are wildly successful businessmen... owning a team is just another business venture. You think these successful dudes are that desperate to take a loss? No. That's not how they work.

calsports

Liked Posts:
California, briefly in Chicago and grew up in Bost
Agreed. I'm interested to see this list in the next few years.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ticket prices went up because they could go up. Constant sell outs for a championship team means demand is high.

Seriously, this is business. There's no benefit in telling the Tribune "HEY, WE'RE RAKING IN MORE MONEY THAN WE CAN COUNT!". You're hearing all this from Rocky... he's a smart, successful guy. He knows what he's doing. Creative accounting. It's nothing new.

As for his comment about NHL owners not making money- answer this one question. Why are there billionaire businessmen fighting to buy NHL franchises? These are wildly successful businessmen... owning a team is just another business venture. You think these successful dudes are that desperate to take a loss? No. That's not how they work.

Technically a loss isnt really a loss if you have enough liquid in other ventures, while most are break even ego trips, some losses actually can turn into a few extra dollars in the pocket of the owner(s). if you need me to go in to detail on what I mean I can, its 2:00 am and it will take a while to write out. but that is what can happen, break even or make money on a loss....i know it doesnt make sense, but when i explain it to you, you will understand.