Fox hasn't decide which QB to give team 1 reps

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry, but using UNC as an example is 100% against the point you're trying to make. The dude went from a no name to #2 pick in the draft from 1 season of playing after sitting on the bench as a backup for multiple seasons. Seems to me like maybe that did help his growth. Learn the offense, learn the reads, learn different looks - 1 year of sitting can only help him. The question is can he be damaged or can his development be hindered by starting too early. The coaches watch every throw of every practice. We watch 1 preseason game and family fest a week. To Modo's point, I think they have more intel on this matter than us.

That was more about politics if you ask Trubisky's NC teammates they say he was the best QB on the team. I don't wont the Bears to recreate that same situation as NC & put the best QB on the bench.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Practice and pre-season games are a different story. Different teams with different coordinators and players outside of the daily repetition of practice. Same as regular season and post season games are different. Shining in practice does not always translate to the field. Not sold on the "coaches see every throw from practice" argument.

Think this is a mixture of politics and trying to groom Trubisky. Not one or the other.

Edit: One thing that always concerns me is the quote from Elway when choosing to separate from Fox. "He just didn't want to win...". Still urks me with Fox despite his tenure and track record.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Glennon is awful. Henry Burris bad.

However, he can be successful if:

1) the defense only rushes three

2) his first stare down read is completely uncovered, and no more than 6 yards from the LOS

3) the NFL institutes a 1 hop/bounce rule-meaning that if the ball only bounces once, it will still be ruled a completion.

For the life of me, I don't know how this bobble headed fuck ever made a roster, let alone got drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonimus

Liked Posts:
Actually people who went to practices said Glennon has always looked worse than Trubisky.
It would be one hell of a conspiracy to keep Glennon from playing well whenever people outside of the coaches are watching. I'd love for that to be the case because I would like Trubisky to get brought in slowly but I highly doubt that's what's going on.

If sitting improves a player shouldn't Glennon be great by now?

Haha, gotta admit that's pretty funny..
If sitting improved a player shouldn't Glennon be great by now?

I guess I can see from a confidence standpoint.. if Trubisky goes in too early, gets confused on reading D's, makes bad pre-snap reads, is thinking too much and ends up playing poorly, taking sacks, starts running instead of trusting his arm... I can see how it could develop bad habits and hurt a young QBs confidence. Some guys can probably handle that and bounce back. Some guys probably can't. To me, this decision isn't about how horrible Glennon looks, just don't risk hurting Trubisky's growth.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Think this is a mixture of politics and trying to groom Trubisky. Not one or the other.

I can see that. I also understand the desire to groom Trubisky. But they picked the wrong QB(s) to sign to have it work out that way, unless going for a high pick is the desire. And if going for a high pick is the case I could be sold on that idea. I just can't be sold on the idea that this is all for Trubisky's development.

Ahh yes, Rex, able to win hearts and minds in practice but not on the field. The camp queens shoot a big hole in the all knowing all seeing coach.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
That is not enough time to give Glennon.

They have reduced Sanchez to one series already.

Eventually they will give time to Trubinsky with the ones, but it had better be on the verge of naming him the permanent starter. Once you put him with the ones you have a real quarterback competition and you had better be prepared to pull the trigger on going with Trubisky.

What if he truly isn't ready. What if you have to pull him and put Glennon back in.

As I have stated in another thread the list of successful long term QBs that have been pulled for non-performance is short.

Putting someone in the line of fire before they are ready is not smart. It can potentially hurt that player's development and it can certainly hurt the team.

Again, how do we know if he is ready if he isn't playing against the one's or with them? Even if he sits this entire year how are we sure he is ready next year? UNC said Trubs wasn't ready and Marquisse gave them the best chance to win, but funny how whenever they were losing they brought Trubs in to bail them out. They brought him in 4th quarters to save their season twice. I think he's ready from a preparation stand point and the next progression is making mistakes and learning from them against starters in this league. How many teams in this league would start Glennon over him? I'd guess at the most 3.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Sorry, but using UNC as an example is 100% against the point you're trying to make. The dude went from a no name to #2 pick in the draft from 1 season of playing after sitting on the bench as a backup for multiple seasons. Seems to me like maybe that did help his growth. Learn the offense, learn the reads, learn different looks - 1 year of sitting can only help him. The question is can he be damaged or can his development be hindered by starting too early. The coaches watch every throw of every practice. We watch 1 preseason game and family fest a week. To Modo's point, I think they have more intel on this matter than us.

You are wrong. Trubs was brought in to many games as a backup to win games. They were struggling against Delaware and he was brought in to win the game. UNC brought him into games in the 4th quarters to win games and he did, as a backup qb. UNC was mentioned because he was a backup, who they brought into many games to win them because their starter couldn't get the job done. So it's not that he's not ready, he just has to sit behind scrubs because of some fairy tale "not being ready" thought process.

And I've been to some practices and yes Trubs has always been better than Glennon. The games are what counts so even if he sucks at practice and plays well in the games who cares? If Glennon looks great at practice but sucks in the game what's the point of positive practices?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Like Myk said, if it's truly for his development. Then he's sitting behind a good/great QB Favre/Rodgers, Romo/Prescott, Brees/Rivers, Warner/Manning.

Not Jameis Winston's backup. I personally think sitting behind a lackluster QB does less for your growth, than just throwing the kid in there and see what happens

Sid.Luckman

Drunk
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sir, I have over 15,000 posts on a Bears message board. I think I know better than the coaches do.

Nice!! Someday, I will know more than the experts, coaches, and GM's! However today, with a lowly 300+ posts, I only know slightly more than the drunk, painted, shirtless, weirdo passed out in the men's room at Soldier Field!

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Fedora was hoping to keep Trubs for another year since he had eligibility left. It was an "have your cake and eat it too" type of scenario. Didn't want to lose Trubs early nor alienate the starting QB since he was from NC. Make recruiting difficult.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Help me out here. I am trying to understand your point but I cant think of any situations where keeping a guy on the bench though the season and not letting him practice with the starters would help a guy become a franchise QB.

Logical, I would think the sooner he starts the better. With the only exception is if the O-line can not give him enough time to make decisions and he has to either force the ball out early or take sacks. I mean lets say he sits for 2 years and then is forced to start. If he starts making mistakes it would be safe to say they are his rookie mistakes and he needs to have playing time to master the fine details of being a starting QB. No matter how much game tape or practice he has he will never experience the same pressure and see the different defensive looks he would in a real game or even in a preseason game.

I assume he will get more starter time. Of that, I have no doubt. But Glennon needs time with the ones as well. As I have stated earlier once you start introducing Trubisky to the ones you start the clock on bringing in Trubisky as you start to handicap Glennon. And that is fine if you think Trubisky is close.

It is totally dependent on where Trubisky is at. You don't need to run with the ones to learn schemes and calls. Running with the one is about getting the timing down with a particular group of people. The "chemistry" portion if you will.

But if Trubisky still needs to learn particular calls, plays and how things run under center, running with the ones isn't going to be much different than running with 2s or 3s and the coaching staff.

In fact, it will take time away from Glennon and his need to get timing with the people he is going to start with on week 1.

I would rather the coaching staff not give in to media pressure and do what they believe is best for Trubisky's development. If that is running with the ones then so be it. If they feel he needs more work and that Glennon is best served with being with the ones because Glennon will start week 1 then so be that.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Nice!! Someday, I will know more than the experts, coaches, and GM's! However today, with a lowly 300+ posts, I only know slightly more than the drunk, painted, shirtless, weirdo passed out in the men's room at Soldier Field!

This is actually very funny.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You've just described half the ccs posters

Sid.Luckman

Drunk
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is not enough time to give Glennon.

They have reduced Sanchez to one series already.

Eventually they will give time to Trubinsky with the ones, but it had better be on the verge of naming him the permanent starter. Once you put him with the ones you have a real quarterback competition and you had better be prepared to pull the trigger on going with Trubisky.

What if he truly isn't ready. What if you have to pull him and put Glennon back in.

As I have stated in another thread the list of successful long term QBs that have been pulled for non-performance is short.

Putting someone in the line of fire before they are ready is not smart. It can potentially hurt that player's development and it can certainly hurt the team.

So you give Glennon the first half and Mitch the second and no one in the stadium other than Butt Fumble will care if BF plays.

You don't have to be on the verge of naming Mitch the permanent starter either. Let them both play and see who plays better. Glennon gets a little more time against the ones but that is also a little more time to prove he should be the starter.

Also, I could care less if the Bears coaches want a QB controversy or not, they have one.

Reactions: Myk

Mitchapalooza

One post at a time brother!

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I assume he will get more starter time. Of that, I have no doubt. But Glennon needs time with the ones as well. As I have stated earlier once you start introducing Trubisky to the ones you start the clock on bringing in Trubisky as you start to handicap Glennon. And that is fine if you think Trubisky is close.

It is totally dependent on where Trubisky is at. You don't need to run with the ones to learn schemes and calls. Running with the one is about getting the timing down with a particular group of people. The "chemistry" portion if you will.

But if Trubisky still needs to learn particular calls, plays and how things run under center, running with the ones isn't going to be much different than running with 2s or 3s and the coaching staff.

In fact, it will take time away from Glennon and his need to get timing with the people he is going to start with on week 1.

I would rather the coaching staff not give in to media pressure and do what they believe is best for Trubisky's development. If that is running with the ones then so be it. If they feel he needs more work and that Glennon is best served with being with the ones because Glennon will start week 1 then so be that.

The defensive players on the other team is better though. So do everything you said is more difficult when you are playing against better and smarter players. That's what we are getting at. Glennon can play one full quarter and a series in the second and be fine. The offense is going to be what it is.

Sid.Luckman

Drunk
Donator
Liked Posts:

Glennon has had time with the ones, several weeks in fact and two preseason games. I am willing to allow him one half of football but if he is bad, he needs to have a seat. If he is good, let him start the third quarter to see if he can keep it going. However, Mitch needs to be elevated to #2 and get time in with the ones in practice this week. If Glennon shits the bed in the first half, it's Mitchell time! If Mitch goes in and looks bad against the ones you have not started a clock, you have introduced a life lesson and a learning experience, for both Mitch and the fans. If his metal state is so fragile that he couldn't recover from that he won't make it as a QB in the NFL.

jc456

Liked Posts:
it seems simple to me. flip em. start Mitch to play the 1st stringers and compare his start with the ones with Glennon's first two games. Play Glennon with the two's and threes and compare his play to Mitch's from the previous two games. who ever played out better against the Titans wins the starting job. seems simple.