Fox wanted Watson. Mahomes was Pace's No 2 QB.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But this is CCS and we have more morons on CCS then i think any other teams message board does and if we had any of those combinations of HC and GM i know you dumb asses would be calling for their heads because you guys are clowns and over reactors. I'd love to have any of those duo's but if it was the Bears with any of them and we weren't playing as well as expected then we have plenty of dummies that would be on CCS trolling the hell out of them. I'm not asking, i'm telling.

Ah so when your argument fails miserably, make up an alternate reality where we actually had a GM that made multiple playoff appearances and claim you know we would still be pissed.

You should be a fantasy writer.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
LMAO, just stop already. The only one that has the power to make anyone forget about the horrendous 2017 draft is trubisky. The bears winning a hypothetical super bowl with your hypothetical core that only needs a qb/te/ol isn't changing that narrative as long as Watson and Mahomes are terrorizing the league.
I mean you’re wrong, but I want you to know it’s okay.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace must be pulling a Durant and DaBears is his alt account. Would make sense why he keeps blowing top draft picks. Too busy trolling online instead of scouting.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace must be pulling a Durant and DaBears is his alt account. Would make sense why he keeps blowing top draft picks. Too busy trolling online instead of scouting.

Too busy setting up cute narratives about pretending to be the Cowboys at the private workout, going in disguise to the bowl game, falling in love at a steak house, and an old Camry.

And then blowing the pick.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He was better. But I doubt it lasts. But keep in mind his better was to play at what I would consider to be league averageish. I am willing to give him 7 more games, but unless he goes crazy that won't really change my opinion of the pick and Pace.

Have you learned from the past?

My experiences in the past is that bad QBs very rarely, if ever, magically become better or more consistent. They stay bad with the odd flash of something more. Rex never really improved, Orton stayed the same, Jay never got more consistent or disciplined.

The evidence points us towards bust, so that is how we operate until he is replaced or magically is touched by the hand of QB Jesus and improves.

I look across the league. I don't just narrow my view to what has transpired with the Bears. Guys with skill that have good attitudes and are willing to work can definitely improve. Mitch has skill, he's a hard worker and he has a good attitude. It's certainly possible. Tampa Bay thought Steve Young was a bust and shipped him off to San Francisco. Early on, Young was slow at processing information and would drop his eyes and run at the drop of a hat. He had talent but it just didn't translate on Sundays until it did. Brees was a disaster until his 4th year in the NFL. He could barely keep Doug Flutie off the field. For years, Terry Bradshaw was openly mocked by the media and players from other teams. Elway had training wheels on compared to Dan Marino when they started out in the NFL. Alex Smith took how many years before he started playing at a competent NFL level?

If Mitch had not exhibited skill, was lazy or was an asshole like Cade McNown, I would be howling bust too. I'm a patient guy. I hate hot takes. I like to compare what I see with other similar situations. I knew he was a project when they drafted him. The fact he's behind Mahomes and Watson at this juncture does not surprise me at all. The is a simple truth, if the line was blocking at just an above NFL average level, he'd be playing considerably better. The pressure combined with his inability to process fast enough now is the main reason he's struggling.

I'm not happy they picked him. I really wanted Mahomes but would have been happy with Watson. The last two years I would have drafted Mahomes and Derwin James in the first round. Maybe they should fire Pace and hire me.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I look across the league. I don't just narrow my view to what has transpired with the Bears. Guys with skill that have good attitudes and are willing to work can definitely improve. Mitch has skill, he's a hard worker and he has a good attitude. It's certainly possible. Tampa Bay thought Steve Young was a bust and shipped him off to San Francisco. Early on, Young was slow at processing information and would drop his eyes and run at the drop of a hat. He had talent but it just didn't translate on Sundays until it did. Brees was a disaster until his 4th year in the NFL. He could barely keep Doug Flutie off the field. For years, Terry Bradshaw was openly mocked by the media and players from other teams. Elway had training wheels on compared to Dan Marino when they started out in the NFL. Alex Smith took how many years before he started playing at a competent NFL level?

If Mitch had not exhibited skill, was lazy or was an asshole like Cade McNown, I would be howling bust too. I'm a patient guy. I hate hot takes. I like to compare what I see with other similar situations. I knew he was a project when they drafted him. The fact he's behind Mahomes and Watson at this juncture does not surprise me at all. The is a simple truth, if the line was blocking at just an above NFL average level, he'd be playing considerably better. The pressure combined with his inability to process fast enough now is the main reason he's struggling.

I'm not happy they picked him. I really wanted Mahomes but would have been happy with Watson. The last two years I would have drafted Mahomes and Derwin James in the first round. Maybe they should fire Pace and hire me.

The number of guys who sucked and got better is far lower than the number of guys who sucked and just continued to suck, even with a good attitude.

My issue is that he has so much to improve on it seems unlikely he is going to be able to without a miracle.

If you were betting or playing the percentages, you would not be putting all your money on him turning it around and becoming a franchise QB.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The number of guys who sucked and got better is far lower than the number of guys who sucked and just continued to suck, even with a good attitude.

My issue is that he has so much to improve on it seems unlikely he is going to be able to without a miracle.

If you were betting or playing the percentages, you would not be putting all your money on him turning it around and becoming a franchise QB.

The funny thing is the guys I mentioned would have killed to have a second season like Trubisky had last year. None of them even came close. In this town (and Canada too) everything Mitch has done well does not count but his struggles are magnified.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The funny thing is the guys I mentioned would have killed to have a second season like Trubisky had last year. None of them even came close. In this town (and Canada too) everything Mitch has done well does not count but his struggles are magnified.

You are also comparing guys from wildly different eras of football. Mitch's year by current QB standards was very average last season.

I think what Mitch has done in the past is weighed into his overall evaluation.

The problem is that he has significantly regressed this season and it has not been a short regression it had been an 8 game regression.

Even if you remove his paltry statistical production from the equation, you see a ton of very concerning things. Lack of progressions, inaccuracy, bad pocket presence, missing open WRs. So this season he is not passing the stats or eye ball test.

He may go on a magical 7 game comeback run, but the odds are that he doesn't.

Mariota, Winston, Bortles, Weeden, Gabbert, Lynch, Maneul, Tannehill, Locker, Ponder, Sanchez, Freeman, all of those fan bases waited for the light to come on and waited for these guys to become consistent and they never did.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I mean you’re wrong, but I want you to know it’s okay.

LOL, you're legit to the point in your argument that you are arguing Disney+ doesn't include Disney. I mean, seriously, you made a fool out of yourself. Time to move on.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Mitch's struggles are magnified because if he had taken a step forward this year, we would likely be SB contenders. That is life as an NFL QB on a team built to win now.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
LOL, you're legit to the point in your argument that you are arguing Disney+ doesn't include Disney. I mean, seriously, you made a fool out of yourself. Time to move on.
I literally said Disney+ doesn’t necessarily include all of Disney, which is true. Work on your reading comprehension.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mitch's struggles are magnified because if he had taken a step forward this year, we would likely be SB contenders. That is life as an NFL QB on a team built to win now.

Things have regressed around him

-Leno, Massie, Daniels have all been worse than last season, which Mitch amplifies with no pocket presence.
-Burton is on sabatical
-Shaheen playing at all.

cubsforlife

Liked Posts:
I wanted Watson and that is well known on here. I most certainly been wrong before. Difference is I dont get paid millions to be right. And I appear to be right on Watson and Juju over Trubs and Shaheen.

Ok. But a GM's job is not just to predict who would be good in the future. It's not like having a debate over which QB will be the best in the future. It's deciding between all the talents they deem to possibly be great in the NFL at every position. Which players hold the value to get picked this high. As a hypothetical, say Pace viewed Eddie Jackson as a top 10 talent in the draft. But due to injury, he falls past that. The GM has to decide what the appropriate value is for him in draft capital, not to draft him too high so he can get someone else he deems valuable on top of Jackson, or not to wait too long to where someone else drafts him. Everyone on forums likes to think it is easy, and that they can do better than average GMs around the league, but that isnt the case. How many of those players that you would have liked in the draft busted, and how many of those would you have picked over the guys that you say you were right about?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Ok. But a GM's job is not just to predict who would be good in the future. It's not like having a debate over which QB will be the best in the future. It's deciding between all the talents they deem to possibly be great in the NFL at every position. Which players hold the value to get picked this high. As a hypothetical, say Pace viewed Eddie Jackson as a top 10 talent in the draft. But due to injury, he falls past that. The GM has to decide what the appropriate value is for him in draft capital, not to draft him too high so he can get someone else he deems valuable on top of Jackson, or not to wait too long to where someone else drafts him. Everyone on forums likes to think it is easy, and that they can do better than average GMs around the league, but that isnt the case. How many of those players that you would have liked in the draft busted, and how many of those would you have picked over the guys that you say you were right about?

LOL what? Let's not pretend Watson/JuJu went significantly lower than Trubs/Shaheen.

cubsforlife

Liked Posts:
I am not judging Pace for his first 3 years. Those were always going to be bad.

I am judging him for the next 3 years.

And right now it looks like he has created a 1 and done, 0 playoff win team, that is crippled by his hand picked QB.

That's fair. But you are judging him a little too early on the next three years when his first of those three was a playoff team. We can just as easily be in the playoffs again next year. It's still even a little too early to judge this year, even though it doesn't look good at all rn. I agree that those first three years were always going to be bad. That's a full rebuild. I like Pace so far, I think his good outweighs his bad. I even think there's some untapped potential with Trubisky still there (all the offensive woes are not on him, although he hasn't played to his best capabilities either). But I don't think Pace gets fired this year, nor do I think he should. I think Trubs will be here next year, with some sort of competition hopefully. If next year goes to sh**, then I believe you can/should look into firing Pace. But before this year started, people were looking at his draft record as top notch, even with the early misses. If you are able to find a potential hall of fame talent or pro bowler in the draft, who cares if its in the first round, or the 6th round. Now, this year can be an outlier for talents that we deemed as really good before the season (Jackson, Cohen, etc), or maybe they let the hype get to their head and they are never the same again. Only time will tell. But there's enough there to say that Pace can identify talent (with the one possible hiccup being qb. But I'm not giving up on Trubs yet as I feel that if any type of player can be a late bloomer, its a talent like Trubisky. Physical talents, plus work ethic usually works out. There's no doubting that Mitch carries some elite traits, now give him some time since he still lacks the typical experience of most QBs, while he's been learning on the fly at the hardest level (not much in college), with new offenses to run 2 out of his 3 years. From high school to now, Mitch only has 10 more games started than Watson had in all of college. So yeah, he may be a third year pro in the NFL, but he still lacks proper experience for a third year QB.

cubsforlife

Liked Posts:
I am just not sure about the logic of relying on a guy who has failed twice to address the QB position to all of a sudden figure it out and fix it?

Fool me once [Glennon] shame on you.
Fool me twice [Mitch] shame on me.

There is no third time in the saying because who keeps going back to that same person.

Because as soon as Trubisky was drafted, everyone should have known Glennon was not looked at as the answer. He was the stop gap. Someone who was thought to come in and play decent for essentially a two year contract with the bulk paid in one year (in which was a rebuilding year and little money on the books). Glennon was definitely never looked at as the answer to the QB situation, simply just to hold over for Trubisky. Unfortunately, he couldn't do that, but think of Glennon as the medium risk, medium reward (maybe even reduced to low risk because even with his high salary, didn't hinder any other possible moves). Maybe he works out and plays as an average starter, maybe you can trade him for something when Trubisky is ready. So if Mitch doesn't go back to last year's results at least, then I think the fool me once should be him. I don't think the hopeful stop gap should be looked at as the failure. That would be like signing Jabari Parker expecting him to be your superstar, rather than signing him hoping to catch lightning and some value. All while your team sucks and isn't going to spend the money elsewhere anyway.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because as soon as Trubisky was drafted, everyone should have known Glennon was not looked at as the answer. He was the stop gap. Someone who was thought to come in and play decent for essentially a two year contract with the bulk paid in one year (in which was a rebuilding year and little money on the books). Glennon was definitely never looked at as the answer to the QB situation, simply just to hold over for Trubisky. Unfortunately, he couldn't do that, but think of Glennon as the medium risk, medium reward (maybe even reduced to low risk because even with his high salary, didn't hinder any other possible moves). Maybe he works out and plays as an average starter, maybe you can trade him for something when Trubisky is ready. So if Mitch doesn't go back to last year's results at least, then I think the fool me once should be him. I don't think the hopeful stop gap should be looked at as the failure. That would be like signing Jabari Parker expecting him to be your superstar, rather than signing him hoping to catch lightning and some value. All while your team sucks and isn't going to spend the money elsewhere anyway.

You don’t need to piss away 18 million on whatever you think Glennon is.

We need that cap room desperately.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's fair. But you are judging him a little too early on the next three years when his first of those three was a playoff team. We can just as easily be in the playoffs again next year. It's still even a little too early to judge this year, even though it doesn't look good at all rn. I agree that those first three years were always going to be bad. That's a full rebuild. I like Pace so far, I think his good outweighs his bad. I even think there's some untapped potential with Trubisky still there (all the offensive woes are not on him, although he hasn't played to his best capabilities either). But I don't think Pace gets fired this year, nor do I think he should. I think Trubs will be here next year, with some sort of competition hopefully. If next year goes to sh**, then I believe you can/should look into firing Pace. But before this year started, people were looking at his draft record as top notch, even with the early misses. If you are able to find a potential hall of fame talent or pro bowler in the draft, who cares if its in the first round, or the 6th round. Now, this year can be an outlier for talents that we deemed as really good before the season (Jackson, Cohen, etc), or maybe they let the hype get to their head and they are never the same again. Only time will tell. But there's enough there to say that Pace can identify talent (with the one possible hiccup being qb. But I'm not giving up on Trubs yet as I feel that if any type of player can be a late bloomer, its a talent like Trubisky. Physical talents, plus work ethic usually works out. There's no doubting that Mitch carries some elite traits, now give him some time since he still lacks the typical experience of most QBs, while he's been learning on the fly at the hardest level (not much in college), with new offenses to run 2 out of his 3 years. From high school to now, Mitch only has 10 more games started than Watson had in all of college. So yeah, he may be a third year pro in the NFL, but he still lacks proper experience for a third year QB.

“They could just as easily make the playoffs next year”

THEY DONT HAVE A QB

How many teams are making the playoffs this season with a bottom 5 QB?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

There's more guys that start out good and then suck than the other way around. QB is a bit an exception but still.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Hindsight bragging by Fox.
People who weren't vocal don't get to come back later and pretend they supported
the better choices.