Fran Tarkenton

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
(CBS) Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton, an 18-year NFL veteran quarterback, is no fan of Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, as he made clear Wednesday morning when he joined the Mully and Hanley Show.

In scathing commentary, Tarkenton admitted that he doesn’t know Cutler and is sure he’s a “fine young man” before going on to say that, “He has not performed, in any situation.”

Having a strong arm shouldn’t be the only quality team’s look at when evaluating a quarterback, Tarkenton said.

“This is a guy that teases his coaches with his powerful arm and all that stuff, but the bottom line, he’s not a player,” Tarkenton said. “Chicago’s going to die keeping on hoping that Jay Cutler’s gonna be that player.

“He’s not going to be any different than what he’s been. But there’s such a rarity and scarcity of quarterbacks that people get a guy and just hope against hope because he’s got one thing: a big, powerful arm. A big, powerful arm is not essential.”

Tarkenton went on to cite the qualities of the quarterbacks who played in this past Sunday’s Super Bowl.

“The reason Tom Brady was a sixth-round draft choice,” Tarkenton said, “(is) because he ran a 5.2 40, he high jumped about one inch and he doesn’t have a powerful arm. That’s not important. Look what Tom Brady has done. Look what Russell Wilson has done at 5-foot-10, 5-foot-11, a third-round draft choice.”

Leadership on and off the field are the qualities that mean the most to Tarkenton.

“That quarterback who’s elite, who’s good, you’ve got to look at his intangibles,” Tarkenton said. “Can he, at that moment, make plays when you need him to make plays, be the leader in the clubhouse, be the leader on the field, and the moment’s not too big for him? Jay Cutler fails in all those.”

Tarkenton doesn’t envision Cutler changing regardless of which coach the Bears have and went on to say that NFL coaches are clueless in evaluating quarterbacks.

“He’s who he is,” Tarkenton said. “He has proven, over the years, he’s not the guy. The NFL coaches, the worst thing they do is judge quarterbacks. They have no clue how to coach and how to judge a quarterback. They have one thing: How strong is his arm? They tell me he’s got a big, strong, powerful arm. He has proven time and time again he’s not the quarterback that you need to get you where you need to go. They’ll end up dying with him there, I don’t care whether you have John Fox there or who you have there, it won’t be any different.”

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
While I think he's right, I suspect that Pace and Fox also realize this.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fran's obviously a bright guy. Said what I've been saying all along. He was a pretty damn good QB, too. Not as good as Russell Wilson of course but very good.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fran's been kinda Captain Obvious lately.

This is obvious to some of us. Some still don't see this. Don't you remember those daily 30 page Cutler arguments on this. Takes two sides to argue.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
At this point, while I've been officially off the Cutler bandwagon the past season and a half, I really feel bad for Cutler. How many more guys do they need to bring out and trash him?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
That shit doesn't even phase jay he has been hated from day one and knows to just say fuck the media and everyone else.

he shows passion he is called an asshole shows none...he doesn't care plays his heart out and takes a beating everythings his fault...its fucking ridiculous at this point id be willing to bet every fa qb ever will be like fuck Chicago unless it ridiculous boat loads of cash dealing with the bullshit wont be worth it.

even if they manage to draft a great qb he will leave town at the end of his rookie contract because who wants to be shit on constantly on a national level by your fanbase and cities media

Last edited:

dRwOOD

Liked Posts:
I really loved when Tarkington said that Cutler "quit" during the NFC championship ( I don't see that quoted).. yeah, this guy doesn't have a skewed perspective.. sounds like a bitter old man :fist:

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
That shit doesn't even phase jay he has been hated from day one and knows to just say fuck the media and everyone else.

he shows passion he is called an asshole shows none...he doesn't care plays his heart out and takes a beating everythings his fault...its fucking ridiculous at this point id be willing to bet every fa qb ever will be like fuck Chicago unless it ridiculous boat loads of cash dealing with the bullshit wont be worth it.

even if they manage to draft a great qb he will leave town at the end of his rookie contract because who wants to be shit on constantly on a national level by your fanbase and cities media

Fuck the media. They don't care about anyone. Instead of doing their job and finding real stories, they half ass their job and twist words from non-stories They'll try to ruin someones life for a paycheck.

If something unfortunate happens to someone they don't feel sympathetic, they think to themselves "sucks for them but I got story now and need to be the first to report on this."

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
(CBS) Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton, an 18-year NFL veteran quarterback, is no fan of Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, as he made clear Wednesday morning when he joined the Mully and Hanley Show.

In scathing commentary, Tarkenton admitted that he doesn’t know Cutler and is sure he’s a “fine young man” before going on to say that, “He has not performed, in any situation.”

Having a strong arm shouldn’t be the only quality team’s look at when evaluating a quarterback, Tarkenton said.

“This is a guy that teases his coaches with his powerful arm and all that stuff, but the bottom line, he’s not a player,” Tarkenton said. “Chicago’s going to die keeping on hoping that Jay Cutler’s gonna be that player.

“He’s not going to be any different than what he’s been. But there’s such a rarity and scarcity of quarterbacks that people get a guy and just hope against hope because he’s got one thing: a big, powerful arm. A big, powerful arm is not essential.”

Tarkenton went on to cite the qualities of the quarterbacks who played in this past Sunday’s Super Bowl.

“The reason Tom Brady was a sixth-round draft choice,” Tarkenton said, “(is) because he ran a 5.2 40, he high jumped about one inch and he doesn’t have a powerful arm. That’s not important. Look what Tom Brady has done. Look what Russell Wilson has done at 5-foot-10, 5-foot-11, a third-round draft choice.”

Leadership on and off the field are the qualities that mean the most to Tarkenton.

“That quarterback who’s elite, who’s good, you’ve got to look at his intangibles,” Tarkenton said. “Can he, at that moment, make plays when you need him to make plays, be the leader in the clubhouse, be the leader on the field, and the moment’s not too big for him? Jay Cutler fails in all those.”

Tarkenton doesn’t envision Cutler changing regardless of which coach the Bears have and went on to say that NFL coaches are clueless in evaluating quarterbacks.

“He’s who he is,” Tarkenton said. “He has proven, over the years, he’s not the guy. The NFL coaches, the worst thing they do is judge quarterbacks. They have no clue how to coach and how to judge a quarterback. They have one thing: How strong is his arm? They tell me he’s got a big, strong, powerful arm. He has proven time and time again he’s not the quarterback that you need to get you where you need to go. They’ll end up dying with him there, I don’t care whether you have John Fox there or who you have there, it won’t be any different.”

Well there are good & bad things about Tark, however, he's been saying, what I've been saying from almost the moment jay got here.....which is jay is a under performer, who lacks leadership and the intelligence necessary to be a NFL QB. As a successful, former NFL QB, went to several SB's......Tark is pretty much spot on

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

Jay can quiet the h8rsz by winning.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fran's obviously a bright guy. Said what I've been saying all along. He was a pretty damn good QB, too. Not as good as Russell Wilson of course but very good.

Tarkenton might be one of the most underrated great QB's in NFL history

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Tarkenton might be one of the most underrated great QB's in NFL history

I remember back in the day of Street & Smith's (think it was 1984), but they had a page of career leaders...and Fran Tarkenton was the leader in every damn category.

He was one of the best QBs that never won a SB

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I remember back in the day of Street & Smith's (think it was 1984), but they had a page of career leaders...and Fran Tarkenton was the leader in every damn category.

He was one of the best QBs that never won a SB

Tarkenton's career stats are pretty interesting. He has very little "black ink" on his resume. He never really lead the league in anything and most of that was late in his career. He just bludgeoned you though with consistently good to very good numbers(Top 5 or so finishes) for pretty much 18 seasons. He only had 1 season where he started less than 10 games. He also never had a drop off the cliff season when he was old. At age 38 he lead the NFL in attempts, completions, yards, and picks but still threw 25 TD's and his passer rating was still above the league average. He then retired.