X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://baseballbatsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/scn16bh-300x300.jpg

By Dave van Dyck, Chicago Tribune reporter

7:23 p.m. CST, November 10, 2011
If the new Cubs hierarchy really wants to hire the most qualified manager available, they already would have introduced Terry Francona or will soon.

But Francona — aside from his interview for the Cardinals' vacancy — is sitting at home waiting, most likely as unsure as everyone else about whether Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer have spent the past week eliminating other candidates to name him or are serious about breaking in a novice manager.

"I'm comfortable letting Theo take care of this; he's the boss," Francona said Thursday by phone.

Epstein has admitted he and his former manager with the Red Sox have talked at length and that "I don't think we'd have to" go through a formal interview if Francona indeed becomes the choice.

For his part, Francona says he is "trying to stay under the radar" with his unspoken candidacy, but a source very close to him says "deep down" he badly wants to manage the Cubs — for whom he played in 1986 while falling in love with Wrigley Field — and has told Epstein so.

What would seem to be a simple process actually comes with complications, not the least of which is the Red Sox meltdown in September that made Francona and Epstein available. Yes, the Red Sox won 90 games, 19 more than the Cubs, but they failed to make the playoffs and there was talk Francona had lost control of the clubhouse.

There were hints Francona had become burned out after eight grueling seasons in Boston and that he had burned bridges with his longtime buddy Epstein.

Francona says neither is true.

"I am interested (in managing again),'' Francona said Thursday. "I just interviewed with the Cardinals. You also would like it to be the right situation.

"There are only 30 (managing) jobs and all in their own right are awesome. But some would better suit me."

Left unsaid was the Cubs job is one of those.

As for his relationship with the man who hired him — and might again?

"Theo and I always will be friends, regardless of who manages (the Cubs)," Francona said.

Even Epstein has said the two have a "relationship that transcends the professional side of things."

So while Francona would like to return to Chicago — he also managed Michael Jordan in the White Sox farm system — and is by far the most qualified candidate, questions remain.

Epstein has said "it has to be the right fit here" and is known to be concerned about a perceived over-Bostonization of the Cubs. After being named president of baseball operations, he hired ex-Red Sox aides Hoyer as general manager and Jason McLeod as director of scouting and player development.

And Hoyer, according to those in Boston who know, is not nearly as close to Francona as is Epstein. While it is not clear how much influence he will have in the ultimate decision, Hoyer might desire his own "new" man to make a completely fresh start.

Epstein and Hoyer have interviewed veteran coaches Pete Mackanin, Dale Sveum and Mike Maddux and will interview Sandy Alomar Jr. on Friday.

And while the first two have been interim managers, not one of them comes with the overwhelming credentials of Francona.

At 52, he already has managed 12 years and 1,944 games for the Phillies and Red Sox, winning 53 percent thanks in part to Epstein's acquisitions when they were deemed the perfect pairing.

He already has managed in two of the largest and most difficult media cities, plus he could blind any naysayers with the sparkle from his diamond-laden World Series rings — one for each hand from 2004 and 2007 when he accomplished the "impossible" for the Red Sox.

So as the interview process winds down, the question is whether it all has been a window dressing precursor to naming Francona. Or whether Francona will be left on the outside looking in.

There is no doubt which scenario Francona prefers.

dvandyck@tribune.com

Twitter @davandyck

Whatcha think, Cubs fans? I like him better than Maddux, who appears to be the front-runner.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
164585_1683848213356_1152120195_31680032_6579060_n.jpg
Mike-Maddux-interviewed-by-the-Chicago-Cubs-MLB-News-110104.jpg

Unless Francona can grow some facial hair :fist:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather go with Maddux. Don't really want Francona as the next Cubs manager.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I really dont want Mike Maddux any one but him. I do prefer Tito at least we know what we are getting a good MLB manger.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Of course not. Why would you want one of the best managers working for you when he could be working against you?

Waldo has said that he doesn't want Francona because he managed the BoSox last year.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
So why Cub fans against the manager with 2 World Series rings? I take the proven winner all day long over a rookie manager

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, Francona does have the potential to not suck and has proven it on at least two occasions :lol:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
tito's really, really good. Anyone who can win w/ that collection of jack-assery he had in 2004 is impressive.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
tito's really, really good. Anyone who can win w/ that collection of jack-assery he had in 2004 is impressive.

It's very impressive and also a bit lucky considering how badly the Yankees collapsed. But I guess you can't argue with results, which is why Bob Brenly is put on a pedestal amongst Cub fans these days :lol:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's very impressive and also a bit lucky considering how badly the Yankees collapsed. But I guess you can't argue with results, which is why Bob Brenly is put on a pedestal amongst Cub fans these days :lol:

not all of us.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have a hard time seeing Epstein hiring Francona after the record setting collapse 2 months ago.

Francona is also rumored to be going through a divorce, and to think that and what happened in Boston won't affect him would be naive.

I also believe the manager doesn't make a big difference in whether or not the team makes the playoffs.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I have a hard time seeing Epstein hiring Francona after the record setting collapse 2 months ago.

Francona is also rumored to be going through a divorce, and to think that and what happened in Boston won't affect him would be naive.

I also believe the manager doesn't make a big difference in whether or not the team makes the playoffs.

I agree unless the guy is like Quade and leaves the pitchers in too long

(obviously no manger could of got last years team to the playoffs but Quade cost us a few games IMO.)

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree unless the guy is like Quade and leaves the pitchers in too long

(obviously no manger could of got last years team to the playoffs but Quade cost us a few games IMO.)

:yep:

It happens.

TLR in St. Louis is a great example :D

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well it is nice to see that we can agree sometimes, fisch. Hiring the manager isn't going to turn this team around, and the decision isn't as important as the personel decisions that Thed Hoystein make. As long as we get a guy that knows how to use pitchers, e.g. don't allow Cashner to throw well over 120 innings next season, and actually considers OBP when filling out a lineup card I will be fine with whoever is the manager.