Free Agency news

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Can’t tag someone until the 20th and I believe fa isn’t until mid March. I would just chill and let it play out until we see what happens. Most of these media people are fake news so I wouldn’t put much into what they are reporting

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Really hoping that Bears re-sign Fuller. He had a great year last year and deserves to be rewarded for it.

He was one of only 4 players with 20+ pass defenses. https://twitter.com/NBCSBears/status/964523577641926657

D. Slay (DET), C. Heyward (LAC), and R. Alford (ATL) are the other 3.

I like Fuller, and he definitely improved, but 6 of those(and 1 of his INTs) came against the Browns. He was the 2nd most targeted corner in the league, which says that NFL coordinators didn't think very highly of him. He still misses to many tackles and has terrible ball skills. If they bring him back, cool, if not, cool as long as they land Butler or Johnson in FA.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Can’t tag someone until the 20th and I believe fa isn’t until mid March. I would just chill and let it play out until we see what happens. Most of these media people are fake news so I wouldn’t put much into what they are reporting

I concur. I expect the Bears to tag him. Who can blame Fuller for wanting to see what FA has in store for him.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
49ers did this with their corners. They’d let them go after a great season and they would under perform wherever they went.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I’d be worried about paying Fuller. He sat the entire 2016 season and played well in a contract year. I’d consider tagging him but ultimately I would lean on Fangio heavily regarding the decision.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gee maybe the 15 million dollars in salary cap space he will take up over the next 4-5 years? It all depends on how they construct the contract but signing Landry to a 14-15 million dollar deal is going to affect roster decisions down the road in terms of either resigning our own top guys or bringing in a more premier FA down the road.

It will not.

We have a ton of cap space and a cheap QB.

Fuller can’t easily be re-signed and Landry can be signed with little impact beyond next season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Windy has pointed out that the Bears will have a ridiculous amount of cap space in 2019. I’m not sure how accurate that is, but I take him for his word.

130 million with the cuts we know are going to happen.

160 the year after.

That is assuming that the cap doesn’t continue to spike up.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s funny how many freak out over a rumor floated by Jason La Canfora. Chill and remember all the recent gossip about HC that was totally wrong. We can always tag him.

I doubt we go into FA looking for 2 corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not bringing Fuller back would be a failure of Pace.

He has not shown that he can be efficient in free agency, which makes keeping our players more
Important.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We could sign a CB like Malcolm Butler, Rashaan Melvin, or Tremaine Johnson but they'd all be 2-3 year rentals.

EJ Gaines is only 26 but hasn't played more than 11 games in a season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is no conceivable reason with 90 million in cap space you should let Fuller even test the market.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Greg Gabriel - Bears fans you can breath easy, @JasonLaCanfora says Kyle Fuller won’t be back. That means he most likely will be back. LaConfora hasn’t been right on any Bears news in years

Pretty much what I said fake news click bait artists. It’s the downfall of journalism from sports to politics

Luke

Liked Posts:
fake news is media BS as well

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That assumes they want him back. I'm not convinced they are as high on him as fans think.

Well if they don't they better do a better job than they did in replacing AJ, Marshall and Bennett.

Like I said, he was not fast and not a jumper, but he produced, just like Landry does. Most his career he was underrated. They do it in different ways. Joiner's YPC also has lots to do with playing in the Air Coryell system, a system at that time defenses did not have an answer for.

Great so just more reasons why the comparison doesn't quite make sense. At the end of the day, they are two completely different WRs that got the job done in two completely different ways.

You can't really compare eras with stats like that. The vast majority of the top 50 career YPC's played before the free agency period. It's a totally different passing game now.

If that is the case then don't bring up the comparison at all. I didn't bring it up. I just responded that the comparison doesn't make sense to me for the reasons I noted. There is nothing about their stats that suggests they were comparable in any way really.

If Pace doesn't want him back then it will have nothing to do with him being able to attract players. How would we know if Pace couldn't get him to come back or if he just didn't want him back? Of course there will be PLENTY of people that will just assume whatever they want cause this is CCS but they do a lot of assuming.

The scenario presented was not that Pace didn't want him. It was that presumably the Bears wanted him but Fuller didn't want to be here. In that scenario that is an organizational failure if their better players don't want to be here. I was responding to the scenario presented and now you want to change the scenario and pretend like my response still applies.

As I said above, if Pace doesn't want him he sure as hell better make the right decision on who to replace him with because his decisions in that regard have largely sucked donkey balls.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Not bringing Fuller back would be a failure of Pace.

He has not shown that he can be efficient in free agency, which makes keeping our players more
Important.

In my opinion it's only a failure of 1. They want to keep him and don't or 2. They don't get Butler or Johnson is free agency.

The way I see it re-signing Fuller means you can't go after Butler, who in my opinion is a much better player. Again, I think letting Fuller go likely means Fangio doesn't want him.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
14m14 minutes ago
The #Chiefs signed free agent CB David Amerson to a 1-year deal worth up to $6M, source said. A stellar secondary gets deeper.

RochBear

Liked Posts:
I like Fuller, and he definitely improved, but 6 of those(and 1 of his INTs) came against the Browns. He was the 2nd most targeted corner in the league, which says that NFL coordinators didn't think very highly of him. He still misses to many tackles and has terrible ball skills. If they bring him back, cool, if not, cool as long as they land Butler or Johnson in FA.
Good point this. Opponents would rather work Fuller's side than Amukamara's. So, re-sign Prince.

TrilliamShakespeare

Liked Posts:
Good point this. Opponents would rather work Fuller's side than Amukamara's. So, re-sign Prince.

That's actually a terrible point and I don't understand why it gets parroted so often on this forum. Coordinators wanting to test Fuller last year is completely irrelevant and says nothing about anything other than what opposing coordinators thought. Who cares whether or not other coordinators respected what was at the time an unproven Corner who didnt play the previous season due to injury. Of course they were going to go after him. What matters is the results, and they generally weren't good. They tested him, and failed at doing so much more often than not. If anything, Fuller being targeted so often and performing as well as he did when targeted is just more reason to resign Fuller. I guarantee you, after the year he had last year, opposing teams won't try him nearly as often this year.

And wait, where is the source that says Fuller was the 2nd most targeted corner to begin with? I can't find it anywhere on google.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You don’t know the full picture, though. Maybe the safety help went to Amukamara. And Fuller played on the offensive right side of the field where right handed QB’s are more comfortable throwing. Z receivers generally get more targets. Even though teams targeted Fuller he still shut his side down.