Free Agent Buzz

TerryF

Liked Posts:
A couple of days ago I made a post about not wanting McDonald on this team. He's proven to be a chronic troublemaker (or at least someone who tends to surround himself with troublemakers), and I don't believe that's a guy you want around when rebuilding a franchise, like we're in the midst of.

But I guess Fangio had enough positive things to say about McDonald, that Pace felt okay pursuing him.

it's not like they gave him a 5 years deal, they can cut him as soon as he creates troubles. he's just a stopgap like the other dude we signed today.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
So where is the connection from with these two? Did they ever play together or from their childhood days or what??

I was wondering the same thing. As far as I can see, they're from different states and went to different schools.

Perhaps they know each other from Grindr?

TheDane

Liked Posts:
it's not like they gave him a 5 years deal, they can cut him as soon as he creates troubles. he's just a stopgap like the other dude we signed today.

I'm completely aware of that. But signing a guy like McDonald in these times, where there's a lot of focus on troublemakers, can also result in a lot of bad PR. Sort of like the shit Cowboys got when signing Greg Hardy. I mean, even Dallas' mayor publicly condemned that signing. We can end up having an image as a team, that is willing to sign low character guys just to get quality on the field. That's not the direction I wanted us to go in when we hired a new GM and HC.

With all that said, I trust that Pace and the rest of the front office has done their homework on McDonald and all his legal troubles.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm completely aware of that. But signing a guy like McDonald in these times, where there's a lot of focus on troublemakers, can also result in a lot of bad PR. Sort of like the shit Cowboys got when signing Greg Hardy. I mean, even Dallas' mayor publicly condemned that signing. We can end up having an image as a team, that is willing to sign low character guys just to get quality on the field. That's not the direction I wanted us to go in when we hired a new GM and HC.

With all that said, I trust that Pace and the rest of the front office has done their homework on McDonald and all his legal troubles.

His off field resume is 1/10th of Marshall's and the city embraced him and he was fine off the field.

McDonald seems to be the victim of some bad decision making, but is not going to be charged and has not been arrested as far as I know.

If he embarrasses the franchise he will be gone very quickly.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
His off field resume is 1/10th of Marshall's and the city embraced him and he was fine off the field.

McDonald seems to be the victim of some bad decision making, but is not going to be charged and has not been arrested as far as I know.

First domestic violence incident: On May 25, 2014 police arrived at McDonald's residence in response to a 911 call. A police report from that night states that an engaged couple "were in an argument when the female subject became upset, grabbed a firearm (handgun) registered to the male subject, and held it at her side. When the male subject informed the female subject that he was going to call 911, the female subject put the firearm away and fled without incident. The female subject did not make any threats or point the firearm at the male subject."

Second incident/arrest: Three months later on August 31, 2014, police were again called to McDonald's residence. According to an unnamed police source, McDonald's fiance showed authorities bruises on her arm and neck that she sustained in an alleged altercation with McDonald. The San Jose police department released a brief statement to the media shortly afterward saying that she did have visible injuries. [SUP][12][/SUP] McDonald was then arrested on suspicion of domestic violence. To date, no formal charges have been filed by the Santa Clara County District Attorney for either incident.[SUP][13][/SUP]No charges will be filed.

TheDane

Liked Posts:

I didn't know that Marshall has been under investigation by the police 30 times :thinking:

Jokes aside, this signing will probably end up just fine'n'dandy both off and on the field. But if not, the Bears will look like idiots for signing a guy with such obvious question marks.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
As long as he breaks Aaron Rodgers legs and arms, I could care less what he does off the field.... The Ray McDonald era begins NOW

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
First domestic violence incident: On May 25, 2014 police arrived at McDonald's residence in response to a 911 call. A police report from that night states that an engaged couple "were in an argument when the female subject became upset, grabbed a firearm (handgun) registered to the male subject, and held it at her side. When the male subject informed the female subject that he was going to call 911, the female subject put the firearm away and fled without incident. The female subject did not make any threats or point the firearm at the male subject."

Second incident/arrest: Three months later on August 31, 2014, police were again called to McDonald's residence. According to an unnamed police source, McDonald's fiance showed authorities bruises on her arm and neck that she sustained in an alleged altercation with McDonald. The San Jose police department released a brief statement to the media shortly afterward saying that she did have visible injuries. [SUP][12][/SUP] McDonald was then arrested on suspicion of domestic violence. To date, no formal charges have been filed by the Santa Clara County District Attorney for either incident.[SUP][13][/SUP]No charges will be filed.

The 1st paragraph there is not McDonald's fault. Not even close.

The 2nd paragraph would only be his fault if he was the one that caused the bruises. If I remember correctly, video surveillance at his house showed he was not at fault for the causes of her bruises.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

He is the victim of nothing. He's responsible for his own choices regardless if they're regrettable or not.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
This post just oozes class, sophistication, and solid grammar...simply breathtaking.

I can agree with you on the having no class or sophistication......I did not know I needed that to post on the forum. I will keep it in mind next time I post.....

BTW, get over yourself bro!

Forte shades of Jay

Liked Posts:
Signing Jenkins and possibly Mcdonald and Foster could really put us in a good position for the draft. Resign DLP and we would really be moving in the right direction. Not that mocks ever work out the way they are written but Miller put one out today that I would be ecstatic about. 1. Cooper 2. PJ Williams 3. Orchard 4. Mannion 5. Dismukes 6. Hackett. Not going to win us a SB this year but with another offseason and draft next year could possibly make us contenders.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Signing Jenkins and possibly Mcdonald and Foster could really put us in a good position for the draft. Resign DLP and we would really be moving in the right direction. Not that mocks ever work out the way they are written but Miller put one out today that I would be ecstatic about. 1. Cooper 2. PJ Williams 3. Orchard 4. Mannion 5. Dismukes 6. Hackett. Not going to win us a SB this year but with another offseason and draft next year could possibly make us contenders.

I'd definitely be down with that draft.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:

Yeah because Brandon Marshall had done so much more than him............ Marshall had incidents where he wasn't charged.

You're right though about Ray McDonald having 1/10th of the off field resume that Brandon Marshall has. Marshall is known for his charity work,donations and awareness. Probably ten times more than what McDonald has ever done.