Free Agent OL Options

corbi328

Liked Posts:
I am a big fan of free agent OL Kelechi Osemele from the Ravens but acknowledge that he will likely be a very expensive free agent option. Given Pace's inclination to spread his free agency money around to multiple positions and considering that we will likely be targeting the defensive free agents from the Broncos like Trevathan and Jackson, I think the Bears should look hard at free agent OL Jeff Allen from the Chiefs as an alternative. The guy is a Chicago native who was drafted by the Chiefs in the second round 4 years ago. He is only 26 and has had some injury history but when he has played, many thought that he was the best OL on the Chiefs. Like Osemele, he has positional flexibility as he started at Tackle and guard for the Chiefs but his best position is guard. Walter Football ranks Allen as the 30 best free agent available and the 7th best OL available in free agency. Lastly, the Chiefs, like the Broncos, have a boat load of free agents to sign and are unlikely to be able to keep all of them. In interviews that he has given, Allen sounds like he is prepared to leave the Chiefs. Coming back home to Chicago and helping the Bears march back to the Super Bowl as their starting RG would likely sound very appealing to him. My guess is that a 5 year $22.5 mm contract gets it done. I am pasting below a short blurb about Allen that I found in a KC paper.

G Jeff Allen: Allen, 26, brought experience and nastiness to the offensive line. It’s not a coincidence the Chiefs went 11-1 once he returned to the starting lineup after a preseason knee injury. The Chiefs’ regime has shown a tendency to let offensive linemen walk — guards Jon Asamoah and Geoff Schwartz both left via free-agency in 2014 — but Corry isn’t sure history will repeat itself. “I don’t think they can afford to make the same mistake they did a couple of years ago when they let both guards leave,” said Corry, who could see Allen commanding a multiyear deal worth $4 million per year.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article56257640.html#storylink=cpy

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I agree with this post. Allen would be a god pick-up. Only risk is injury, he's young, versatile and good.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't pay OGs.

Draft someone to compete with a decent veteran.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Don't pay OGs.

Draft someone to compete with a decent veteran.

Signing Slauson has worked out, for all the Kyle Long hype, he's gthe best lineman on the Bears. I agree you don't pay out $8 mil a season for guards but given the number of needs the Bears have, I'd just as soon sign a solid vet like Allen and not have to worry about the position.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Signing Slauson has worked out, for all the Kyle Long hype, he's gthe best lineman on the Bears. I agree you don't pay out $8 mil a season for guards but given the number of needs the Bears have, I'd just as soon sign a solid vet like Allen and not have to worry about the position.

I think he meant don't pay serious money to OGs. But Jeff Allen shouldn't get too much money. 4-6M/year.

corbi328

Liked Posts:
I think $4-$5mm a year will do it. Not chump change but won't break the bank. The great thing about Allen, like Osemele, is that he has proven that he can play tackle well if needed. Guard is the ideal position for Allen but having guys like this with positional flexibility is very valuable. I am of the opinion that Angelo and Emery mistakenly undervalued and underestimated the importance of the OL position. This is why our OL play has consistently been in the bottom half of the league and I think it is a big reason why the Bears have struggled for so long. NFL games are won on the line of scrimmage and the Bears must focus on both lines this offseason to make a significant improvement. Signing a top guard like Osemele or Allen is a must and they should follow it up by drafting another OL for development and depth in rounds 3-5 of the draft. Osemele's price tag could get too rich but Allen is less well known and is likely to be excited about the opportunity to come home and play for his hometown Bears.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I'm thinking we take a flyer on Alex Boone. He's a true RG. A multi-year pro-bowler. Nasty as fuck. His knee injury is relatively mild and will drive his price down a little.

And he hates Clay Matthews and the Packers.

Harbaugh's starting right guard Alex Boone took a different approach when asked what kind of fine he'd give Matthews.

"Probably punch him in the face," Boone said via CSNBayArea.com. "I don't want his money."

As Harbaugh likes to say, you have to come with the knuckles. An open-handed slap just will not do.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good points on this post.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
I'm thinking we take a flyer on Alex Boone. He's a true RG. A multi-year pro-bowler. Nasty as fuck. His knee injury is relatively mild and will drive his price down a little.

Harbaugh's starting right guard Alex Boone took a different approach when asked what kind of fine he'd give Matthews.

"Probably punch him in the face," Boone said via CSNBayArea.com. "I don't want his money."

As Harbaugh likes to say, you have to come with the knuckles. An open-handed slap just will not do.

Sold. Make it happen.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Boone strikes me as a guy who's going to get a big money deal. He's got a higher profile then most guards. If he comes at a reasonable price, I'd love to have him on the Bears.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
I'd be happy with Jeff Allen. What about Ryan Schraeder at RT?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Signing good value free agent OGs is a great idea.

Paying 8-10 million for a free agent is a mistake, most have crashed and burned.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jeff Allen
Ronald Leary
Mike Harris
Ramon Foster
Amini silatolu

All would be upgrades that cost between 3-5 annually.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
I think RG Brandon Brooks from the Texans would be a great under the radar guy for the Bears to snatch up in free agency.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think RG Brandon Brooks from the Texans would be a great under the radar guy for the Bears to snatch up in free agency.

He is not under the radar, my guess is he signs for 5/40 somewhere.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Allen is also a Chicago native, which might or might not mean something for him coming to the Bears.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd pay for an OG if he performed like Steve Hutchinson or Larry Allen

Liked Posts:
I'm not sold on Leno at LT, and I definitely don't want Long there either.

If they still want to evaluate Leno, I'd like to see them sign Osemele - he is a dominant guard and showed his ability to play tackle if necessary last year.

That, or just sign a true LT like Glenn or draft Stanley at #11.