Friday Sept 7 News & Tweets

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Bears LBs healthy for season opener

LB Brian Urlacher (Hannah Foslien/Getty)
By Associated Press
BearReport.com
Posted Sep 7, 2012

Share on twitter Share on facebook | More Sharing ServicesMore

The Bears will not be without the heart of their defense in the regular season opener, as Chicago Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher is set to play Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts.

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) - The Chicago Bears' defense has five starters 31 or older, and 34-year-old linebacker Brian Urlacher is coming off knee surgery a month ago.

They believe they have lost very little due to age, and say anyone who doubts it should test them.

"They can try," linebacker Lance Briggs said. "But they will fail."

Urlacher was held out of Thursday's practice, but the plan is to practice Friday and play Sunday in the opener against the Indianapolis Colts.

"He's had trouble with his knee so we're not going to push the knee through the week," coach Lovie Smith said.

Although Urlacher realizes his surgically repaired left knee will never be the same, he anticipates no diminished returns. The same goes for the "seasoned'' Bears defense in general as preparations continued Thursday for Sunday's game at Soldier Field.

"I'm not up to speed," Urlacher said. "I know the defense well, but I've got to get my technique down and work on some things. I'm practicing, so that's all that really matters to me."

The Bears defense will face No. 1 draft pick Andrew Luck and the Colts. However, it may be the Colts testing Urlacher. It wouldn't be a surprise to see the Colts - and other teams later in the season - go at the middle of the Bears cover-2 zone to see if their 34-year-old defensive leader has lost a step.

Another 30-something, defensive end Israel Idonije, doubts Urlacher will be slowed against the pass or rush.

"If anyone is thinking that Brian is going to be a weak part of the defense, absolutely, run at him," Idonije said. "The guy, he's a physical specimen. He's worked hard to put himself into a position so he can be on the field, and just he is one of those guys who is relentless. If that's something they think they can exploit, by all means they're going to try. Then at the end of the day we'll see."

Urlacher said he and the other older players - Briggs, Idonije, cornerback Charles Tillman, and defensive end Julius Peppers - are better in the defense now even if age has taken away some of their speed.

"Whatever we have lost in athletic ability or speed or whatever, I think we make up for it with our mental game just like most players do when they get older," Urlacher said. "They get smarter as they play longer and hopefully get better as they get older."

Urlacher practiced only the first four days of training camp before experiencing left knee pain that required an Aug. 14 arthroscopic surgery. As a result, he missed all of the rest of training camp and the preseason, then practiced Monday and Wednesday this week.

"I knew I would get back before the first game," Urlacher said. "It was a matter of getting to this point. It really wasn't that frustrating. A little annoying when it happened, but once we did the scope it was fine."

Urlacher expects no limitations against the Colts.

"Every other game I have ever played I've planned on playing the whole game," he said. "That's what I plan on doing right now."

Urlacher's preparation might change somewhat prior to the Week 2 game against the Green Bay Packers. It's a Thursday night game so his recovery time from the first game would be short.

"I'll do the same thing I always do," he said. "Get in the cold tub a lot, ice, everything the trainers tell me to do. Try to keep my legs strong. Nothing more than normal. Probably a lot of rest next week with the short week. I have to get on the practice field eventually, but I think we only have one day of practice next week so I'll just be out there for that if I can."

Urlacher originally injured his knee in the 2011 regular-season finale. Several reports have said he went to Europe and underwent a non-invasive procedure on the knee, then relied on rehab to recover from two sprained ligaments. However, he ran into problems at training camp at Bourbonnais.

"I hadn't done that much in the offseason," Urlacher said. "I ran the whole month of June and July before I got to training camp. But nothing like we did in training camp and I think I kind of just aggravated it a little bit and got some things loose in there so we cleaned it out and now it's good."

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
LarryMayer.jpg

Kumar-White-Castle-750x326.jpg

BAKED.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
you shouldn't talk about your wife that way

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Steelers G David DeCastro (knee) was placed on IR (designated to return).

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
Ole is my wife. Now make me a sandwich!

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i'm not your mother.

also, lol--

ESPNChicago ‏@ESPNChicago
Lance Armstrong not allowed to run in Chicago marathon, report says

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
he reminds me of uday hussein

rose.jpg

There is a lot in common between the two......though Larry's health is a bit better.

We love Larrry. Larry is the best. Larry is awesome....please don't hurt me....

JeffSpicoli

Hey bud....Let's party!!
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the news fellas! Glad to see this tradition lives on this board as well

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
#Saints RT @SportsLawGuy: Burbank appeals panel has VACATED suspensions of the Bounty 4.
Expand

JeffSpicoli

Hey bud....Let's party!!
Donator
Liked Posts:
#Saints RT @SportsLawGuy: Burbank appeals panel has VACATED suspensions of the Bounty 4.
Expand

Wow, this is gonna end up ugly down the road

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotter
Decision says Goodell can reconsider discipline only if there is evidence of intent to injure beyond just a performance pool, per source.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
With Saints winning appeal, suspensions are voided as Roger Goodell doesn't have jurisdiction and Stephen Burbank does.

Will Smith (Saints), Scott Fujita (Browns), Jonathan Vilma (Saints) and Anthony Hargrove (free agent) eligible to play after appeals win.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog
#Bears list P Adam Podlesh (hip) as probable for Sunday's game.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
STATS_NFL ‏@STATS_NFL
The @DetroitLionsNFL are coming off their first 10-win season since 1995, but have never won 10 or more games in consecutive seasons

vaughn mcclure ‏@vxmcclure23
WR Earl Bennett showed up on the injury report and was limited in practice Friday with a hand injury but is probable, too.

Urlacher, Conte, Podlesh all listed as probable for Sunday's game

Lorenzo Booker (head/slight concussion) is listed as questionable.
Expand

Last edited: