Game 1 Stanley Cup Finals Bruins at Blackhawks 6/12/13 7 PM CT

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kchicub08

Liked Posts:
Wow... Large collection of homer dopes around here.

We we watching the same 3 ot game or was I drunk and the Hawks won 8-0?

And I live in Boston and am pulling for CHICAGO but some dummies here.

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
Oh and how the F do you not get shots on goal in a 5-3 powerplay?!?!?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks for the semantical input. My point was that Rask was unbeatable against Pitt the entire series, yet proved to be mortal against Chicago in the first game.

But its kind of an edge to Chicago when Crawford can play just as well as Rask and Quick, no?

Not only is it and edge, but also a bit of a surprise. That was the best Ive seen Crawford play. But goalies blow hot & cold. In the playoffs they might stay hot for a series ot two but eventually things balance out. The Hawks were fortunate that Quick cooled off when he did....all those great stops in St. Louis & SJ made the 2 or 3 softies he gave the Hawks stand out more than they should have.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
But its kind of an edge to Chicago when Crawford can play just as well as Rask and Quick, no?

This.

I think every preview of this series that I read gave the goaltending edge to Boston. If Crawford is neck-and-neck with Rask's level of play in this series, Boston has no chance.

kchicub08

Liked Posts:
Thought you said the Hawks won 7-2?

I think people are reading too much into certain comments. I've said twice now that Boston has an equal chance of winning the series, but I thought Game 1 was a good sign for Chicago in that they scored on Rask and didn't get pushed around or beaten up.

I did say 7-2... lol

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
And here again, I present the CORSI numbers.

Link

For those, not familiar, the line at the top explains what the stat means: "Shots directed at net while a player was on the ice at even strength, excluding empty net situations." That includes blocked shots and shots missed. Essentially, what this number is trying to further quantify how much time a team spends on offense beyond the usual "shots on goal" stat.

The "Fenwick" column is the CORSI rating when the game is at a one-goal margin or tied, because when you're down by two goals or more you're probably going to possess the puck at a rate that could skew these statistics otherwise.

What do you see? Three Hawks players in negative CORSI: Shaw, Bolland, Bickell. Considering that was the line assigned to take on Lucic's line for Boston, keeping those numbers in single-digit negatives over nearly six period of hockey is pretty good. The rest of the Hawks team are in the positive, some by a WIDE margin.

Same with the Fenwick rating.

Now, for some perspective on these numbers, here is the regular season chart, although this number is expressed as a percentage instead of a whole number.

Link here

You'll see that Chicago and Boston were 5th and 6th in the league, respectively, with percentages slightly over 52 percent.

So, what all of this means is, Chicago and Boston have a similar style of hockey in that they're both puck-possession teams.

The numbers from last night indicate that the Hawks beat the Bruins at their own game, and did it quite convincingly.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Wow... Large collection of homer dopes around here.

We we watching the same 3 ot game or was I drunk and the Hawks won 8-0?

And I live in Boston and am pulling for CHICAGO but some dummies here.

Agreed, and why focus on 1st game GAA and the slightly better or lesser goalie?? There are so many other factors at play in this series. First game was awesome and this is a great matchup which will hopefully lead to a classic series.

I say sit back and enjoy our team playing great hockey in the FINALS, if you're a Hawks fan this is as good as it gets.

Personally I'm glad the Bs are a worthy and dangerous opponent, this makes it far more interesting than steamrolling an opponent 4-0 games. That said, I'll take any series win over a closely contested loss.

Regardless, the Hawks didn't do anything last night that should give rise to smack-talking or diminishing the Bs.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was a great display of goaltending on both sides despite 7 combined goals.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Thought you said the Hawks won 7-2?

I think people are reading too much into certain comments. I've said twice now that Boston has an equal chance of winning the series, but I thought Game 1 was a good sign for Chicago in that they scored on Rask and didn't get pushed around or beaten up.

Why would you make a thread to ask people if they would punch someone that you don't personally know? It proves nothing to make a thread like that.

You're a troll so calm down.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Win or lose, have to enjoy this because it's back to shitty Chicago baseball once this series is done.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Agreed, and why focus on 1st game GAA and the slightly better or lesser goalie??

Because for the 3 days leading up to Game 1 all I heard about was how great Rask had been and how he allowed only 2 goals in the entire series against Pittsburgh and so on.

And then, in a 4-minute span, the Hawks matched the Penguins goal output in the entire series. They scored 4 goals in one game. Now that once-impenetrable wall in the Boston net, while still very very good, doesn't look quite as intimidating as it did 24 hours ago. That's a HUGE development.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Because for the 3 days leading up to Game 1 all I heard about was how great Rask had been and how he allowed only 2 goals in the entire series against Pittsburgh and so on.

And then, in a 4-minute span, the Hawks matched the Penguins goal output in the entire series. They scored 4 goals in one game. Now that once-impenetrable wall in the Boston net, while still very very good, doesn't look quite as intimidating as it did 24 hours ago. That's a HUGE development.

OK, fair point, but really - putting the Pitt series aside, he gave up 4 goals in the equivalent of 2 games last night, and the JO and Shaw goals were crazy-gift deflections. Not the same as Luongo melting down, or chasing Quick out of the net. There's yet a lot of hockey left to be played in this series.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

rask is very very good. not quite sure where you are going with this post. so what...we scored 4 goals in one game and pitt scored 2 in 4 games.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
jesus christ people are debating GAA? really? news flash!!!! its a team stat!

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
rask is very very good. not quite sure where you are going with this post. so what...we scored 4 goals in one game and pitt scored 2 in 4 games.

But possibly not quite as infallible as you would've been led to believe in all the pre-series hype.

Crawford was, at least, his equal on Wednesday night. That bodes very well for the Hawks, as goaltending was one of the few advantages Boston was supposed to have in this series.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Franko, you wuss. Hang in there, better yet.....call in sick. Hey if the Hawks get beat it wont be BS. :highfive:

Glad the Hawks won last night...just wish they would have done it before I went to bed. Wish I could have possibly called in, but I really don't think that the boss would have been overly happy with me for it considering I run a crew of guys without anyone to really fill in for me.

Cannot wait for Saturday. Hope we get nearly as good of a turnout in the game 2 IGT.

Status
Not open for further replies.