Game 4 post game thoughts (Biggs)

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
There wasn't much in this one, fluff about the new stadium and I am not going to beat the dead horse of play calling. Here are some stats from the article, which you can come to the conclusion Nagy has no idea WTF he's doing as a play caller:
The Bears ran 57 offensive plays in the game, and Fields was under center for 31 with 26 snaps coming in shotgun formation. That’s a dramatic shift in strategy from what the team did through the first three games.
Entering Week 4
  • Andy Dalton: 87 snaps, 63 shotgun (72.4%), 24 under center (27.6%)
  • Justin Fields: 92 snaps, 76 shotgun (82.6%), 16 under center (17.4%)
Lazor clearly wants to establish the run, and the numbers from last season hint at that.
2020 shotgun vs. under center
  • Games 1-9 (Nagy as play caller): 68.4% shotgun, 31.6% under center
  • Games 10-16 (Lazor as play caller): 59.8% shotgun, 40.2% under center
When the Bears got going on offense late last season with Mitch Trubisky, which coincided with the offensive line settling in, they were playing under center more. It might not be what the coaching staff envisions as a bread-and-butter element of the offense long term, but it’s what is working with the personnel they have in the present and they have to be mindful of their personnel.

DL snap count:
  • Angelo Blackson: 47 snaps
  • Bilal Nichols: 39
  • Eddie Goldman: 31
  • Mario Edwards Jr.: 27
  • Khyiris Tonga: 7
explosive plays - defined as pass plays of 20 or more yards and runs of 10 yards or longer
Through the first three games, the Bears had one explosive pass — a 21-yarder to Darnell Mooney against the Bengals — and eight explosive runs: five by David Montgomery, two on scrambles by Andy Dalton and one by Damien Williams. That’s a total of nine explosive plays in three games, an indictment of the offense
The Bears had 10 explosive plays against the Lions: five passes and five runs. Justin Fields hit Mooney for gains of 64, 32 and 21 yards and Allen Robinson for gains of 28 and 27. Montgomery had runs of 24 and 10 yards, Williams had gains of 23 and 10 and Fields added an 11-yard run.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
After listening to Biggs this morning, he is one of several beat guys who are underplaying the awkwardness of that press conference. It's really weird....

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is what I like: "The Bears had 10 explosive plays against the Lions: five passes and five runs. Justin Fields hit Mooney for gains of 64, 32 and 21 yards and Allen Robinson for gains of 28 and 27. Montgomery had runs of 24 and 10 yards, Williams had gains of 23 and 10 and Fields added an 11-yard run."

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ten explosive plays against the Lions ? Why would anyone want to put in the redhead ??
....more than the first 3 games ???

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ten explosive plays against the Lions ? Why would anyone want to put in the redhead ??
....more than the first 3 games ???
Yeah I think Andy could probably have similar success in Lazor's offense, but there is no way he makes either throw to Mooney and the dart to Arob on the sideline. His arm strength is not there anymore. For chunk plays, quick scores, etc. Fields is the way.