Game-notes / Bears vs. Bolts / 8.14.10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Toub is arguably the best ST coach in football, and you want him gone? He had undrafted rookies and players that have never played on ST before covering kicks and punts. The ST should be fine during the regular season and it will be a strength for the Bears

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Toub is arguably the best ST coach in football, and you want him gone? He had undrafted rookies and players that have never played on ST before covering kicks and punts. The ST should be fine during the regular season and it will be a strength for the Bears

Have to agree with that. He's the only coach I currently like on this team. He's proven his ability time and time again...Hester did lose his edge but Toub made great return players in Knox and Danieal Manning as well. Not to mention he's done a great job with no-name players who play great on special teams.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
It's the SAME Lovie-ball, you guys. WR's running free w/ a 10 yard cushion, poor angles and missed tackles, no QB pressure . . . If you are ok w/ that then fine.

If this was a regular season game I would have agreed with you. However they aren't going to be bump & run, man coverage risking injury, etc.

Also this was the first time either team faced live tackling. From playing football most of my life, the first time you start hitting again is vastly different from what your team looks like 3-4 weeks after full contact has been started.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Have to agree with that. He's the only coach I currently like on this team. He's proven his ability time and time again...Hester did lose his edge but Toub made great return players in Knox and Danieal Manning as well. Not to mention he's done a great job with no-name players who play great on special teams.

Hester losing his edge may have had to do with him switching to receiver, not Toub's fault.

Tim Shaw anyone? lol

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hester losing his edge may have had to do with him switching to receiver, not Toub's fault.

Tim Shaw anyone? lol

That's what I think happen. Shaw played pretty good on ST and I was surprise.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Thats what im saying...Toub turned a nobody into one of the best ST players (Shaw)

Lefty

Liked Posts:
We're going to be talking Bears football tonight on the show tonight, and we want to hear Bears Fans' reactions to the first pre-season game, as well as reactions to our takes on the goings on, so be sure to check it out when we go live at 7PM CST.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Tim Shaw anyone? lol

Sorry if it meant I was implying that Hester lost his edge because of Toub..I wasnt saying that. Hester lost his edge either because of his head or that fact hes playing WR now (Or both).

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats what im saying...Toub turned a nobody into one of the best ST players (Shaw)

I expect the same this year. Toub should stay this year and for years down the road unless he wants to leave.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
We're going to be talking extensively about this game and our thoughts on the Bears summer thus far tonight on the show. Check it out, we really wanna hear some of your thoughts.

643 Sports | Internet Radio | Blog Talk Radio 7pm CST/8pm EST. Listen live, jump into our chat room or give us a call at 646-716-7510.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why does no one realize that return men have shelf lives like every other player.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
There was some thing's I noticed during the first game that need to be addressed. But that's what pre-season is for, to fix the mistakes and be ready for Week 1

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Why does no one realize that return men have shelf lives like every other player.

People frequently ignore trends of player success/progression unless the media hypes that, like RBs at 29-30 years old which still is a faulty reasoning of that fall off. They ESPN analysts seemed shocked by all the success of Thomas Jones at 31 but don't realize it matters more how much you've run and taken the beating physically over time. His first 4 years he wasn't a full starter it's just generally 8 years give or take 1 of play that wears down a great running backs body.

I know several people at the start of the 08 camp and season saying if you look at history many great return men there is a trend of them being great 2 years but that's all. It being mental, physical, or desire to play more at other positions can be made to some or it could also be the unit's changing in front of them. People talked about Brendon Ayenbejio but if you look at many of Hester's returns, there is key players even starters blocking on some, Tilman/Urlacher.

Unless they plan to cut every player who excels for the special teams unit, Wolfe/Davis/Iwuh they will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.