GDT 10/13 - Chicago Blackhawks at Avs 9:00 CST

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
cut.png

TIME: 9 p.m. CT
TV: TNT | RADIO: WGN 720-AM | STREAM: Watch TNT
In Chicago, the temperatures are cooling, the leaves are changing and, for the first time in two years, the best part of fall is officially back: Blackhawks hockey.
The Blackhawks open their 2021-22 campaign on Wednesday night in Colorado against the Avalanche in front of a national TV audience on TNT -- the first in a full 82-game slate as the NHL returns to a regular season.

2020-21 TEAM RECORDS

• CHI: 24-25-7, 55 PTS (6th in Central)
  • COL: 39-13-4, 82 PTS (1st in West)

Hello Again

After pandemic-forced division shuffle last year, the Blackhawks and Avs once again find themselves division foes in the Central for the 2021-22 campaign. With all regular-season games taking place solely within the division last year, the two clubs haven't squared off in nearly 22 months.
Chicago took the last meeting against Colorado on Dec. 21, 2019 in their most recent to Denver -- the lone win against the Avalanche on the season. The Blackhawks recorded four third-period markers to take the comeback win and Jonathan Toews finished with a game-high four points (2G, 2A).
All-time, Chicago has a 63-62-9-9 record against Colorado, including a 27-35-6-3 mark in road contests.

FBhMudkWUAESjDW

OPENING TEST

Chicago's revamped roster begins the year without much schedule leeway, opening up against the defending Presidents' Trophy winners on the road Wednesday night. Aside from the reigning top record, Colorado also owns the league's second-best opening night record all-time at 23-11-7 (min. 10 games) and holds a 4-1-0 record in season debuts under head coach Jared Bednar.
"I think we've done a really good job preparing, we've done a good job of giving ourselves a chance with our work ethic in camp," head coach Jeremy Colliton said. "Now we want to put it together and test ourselves. It's a really good team that we're going to play. We want to compete with them. In our division, they're the standard, so let's see where we're at. I think that's the message."
"It's hard in this league, especially in our division, it's hard to climb if you get buried early," Colliton added. "We know the importance of a good start, but at this point, it's just getting ready for the first puck drop."

CAPTAIN COMEBACK

Among the busy offseason of moves the Blackhawks made to improve their roster, perhaps the biggest came in the form of not a move, but a return, as No. 19 prepares to play his first NHL regular-season contest in over 19 months.
Toews missed all of the 2020-21 campaign dealing with Chronic Immune Response Syndrome, which left him feeling drained and lethargic. He returned to Chicago and to the ice with his teammates in late June and has been put through a vigorous camp to get back into NHL shape. The captain skated in four preseason games, scoring three assists and two goals in his final two contests, respectively, and appears full steam ahead for his return to the lineup on Wednesday night.
"I'm pretty happy given what the last month has looked like, what I felt like going into training camp," he said over the weekend. "I just feel like I've taken a step almost every day. It's pretty exciting to think that way, that I've got to stay with it and keep doing all the little things right, but ultimately I like that I feel confident, my game is there, when the energy is there."
"He does a lot of different things for us that we were missing last year with faceoffs, battles," said Colliton of Toews' return. "He's so good down low in the offensive zone, there's not many guys who are better. It just adds a different dimension to our team. Obviously he's an excellent penalty killer, plays net-front on the power play, so there's lots of different things we can do."

NEW FACES

The Blackhawks opening-night roster features six players who are set to make their team debuts.
Henrik Borgstrom, Tyler Johnson, Jujhar Khaira, Seth Jones, Jake McCabe and Marc-Andre Fleury would all appear in their first games in a Blackhawks sweater should they dress on Wednesday night. The group boasts a combined five Stanley Cup rings, 10 All-Star Game appearances, one Vezina Trophy and over 2,700 games of NHL experience.
"We like our team a lot. We like our depth. I think we're bigger. We're faster. We're able to play a more winning style, in my opinion," Colliton said. "We're going to have to get better as the year goes on. The team and the performance that we have on day one, if that's as good as it gets, then it won't be good enough. That's the case with most of the teams in the league. Really like the team we have. I like the energy, I like the attention to detail that we've had so far in camp, the work ethic and that should give us a chance."

MAKING THE CUT

On a competition-heavy training camp roster at both ends of the rink, Borgstrom, MacKenzie Entwistle and Philipp Kurashev rose to the top of the forward competition in making the opening-night lineup.
On the back end of the roster, the defensive depth battle was affected by a handful of camp injuries as Caleb Jones (left wrist strain), Wyatt Kalynuk (right ankle sprain) and Alec Regula (lower back) all begin the season on injured reserve.
In turn, youngsters Ian Mitchell and Riley Stillman join a veteran defensive core of McCabe, Seth Jones Calvin de Haan and Connor Murphy, as well as newly-re-signed Erik Gustafsson on the season-opening trip. All will have a chance to stake their claim to a starting role in the opening weeks before regained health gives way to healthy competition on the blue line once again.

BACK ON THE PROWL

Alex DeBrincat finished the 2020-21 season on a career-long seven-game goal streak (9G) and an eight-game point streak (9G, 3A), matching a season high and the longest by a Blackhawk during the 2020-21 campaign. The winger was second in team scoring on the season as a whole with 56 points (32G, 24A) in 52 games and was Chicago's scoring leader over the final two months of a bounce back 2020-21 campaign.
"Part of the game is scoring goals, but you can't always control that," Colltion said of DeBrincat finding his 2018-19 form after a down 2019-20 statistically. "What you can control is how you play and I felt like he was building the habits and the base of his game that's going to lead to long-term success. What his shooting percentage is or what his final numbers are, I don't know what they're going to be, but he's a really good player. He's an elite player in the league."
Playing on a highly-skilled line during most of camp alongside Patrick Kane and Tyler Johnson and finishing the preseason with multi-point affairs in two of his three skates, DeBrincat appears poised to carry that momentum forward into the new year.
"I want to have a good year, obviously," he said. "I think we have a lot of guys that can score on this team... We have a good team this year. We have a lot of new faces that can score and I think it's just sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. We'll see how it goes this."
The Farmington Hills, Michigan native is the seventh U.S.-born skater in NHL history with a 30+ and 40+ goal campaign within their first four seasons, per NHL Stats.
His 32 markers during the 2020-21 campaign were third in the NHL and his 1.08 points per game average was a new career high. He also matched Darryl Suter and Bill Mosienko for the third longest goal streak (7 games) by a Blackhawks player age 23 or younger.

Last edited:

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
No Mack I like the Hawks chances.

Does Gus play over Mitchell?

Strome/Dach/Borg had chemistry does JC keep Strome out the game because of it and ruin what could be a totally great bumslayer line full of meat?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Here we go

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
What's weird, is that ON PAPER, it just doesn't seem as bad as it it, but again that's what has always been Scottie jr's problem is he keep trying to manage this team on paper.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hot take, Avs will have a great regular season and bow out early in the playoffs again.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hot take, Avs will have a great regular season and bow out early in the playoffs again.
Well, if Kuemper gets hurt I agree. But if Kuemper plays into form...they could be devastating.

Tampa didn't have to face their biggest threats last year.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, if Kuemper gets hurt I agree. But if Kuemper plays into form...they could be devastating.

Tampa didn't have to face their biggest threats last year.
We'll see. Everybody loves them but I don't buy them as Cup winners. Takes a certain something

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Go Hawks Go, let’s start the season of with a W.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We'll see. Everybody loves them but I don't buy them as Cup winners. Takes a certain something
Nah, they are legit. Missing Toews makes them vulnerable.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So colliton be like...

Cat-Johnson-Kane
Kurashev-Toews-Kubalik
Hagel-Dach-Borgstrom
Entwhistle-Carp-Khaira

I would swap Johnson and borgstrom and Hagel and kurashev...but I like.

I think we have a decent shot them missing their two best players.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Schedule makers want to see Colliton canned by Thanksgiving eh?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here come the Hawks!
The mighty Blackhawks!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm not looking for an argument or a debate about things, just an honest question for folks. If he doesn't get physically injured beyond his condition that kept him out last year, what do we think is the over/under on how many games Toews plays?

I bet they give him some preventative days off. I think he probably gets at least 7. maybe even some back to back road trips off toward the end of the season. Anyone else thing he gets more or less? I'm tempted to go a clean 10, but that feels like a lot in an 82 game season for your top paid player. But then again it may be worth it to rest him heavily if you're pushing for the playoffs, that's the last place you want to rest him.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not looking for an argument or a debate about things, just an honest question for folks. If he doesn't get physically injured beyond his condition that kept him out last year, what do we think is the over/under on how many games Toews plays?

I bet they give him some preventative days off. I think he probably gets at least 7. maybe even some back to back road trips off toward the end of the season. Anyone else thing he gets more or less? I'm tempted to go a clean 10, but that feels like a lot in an 82 game season for your top paid player. But then again it may be worth it to rest him heavily if you're pushing for the playoffs, that's the last place you want to rest him.
Do you play him against new jersey Friday or penguins saturday?

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

I think he plays around 50 games, there is no doubt he plays in all the central division matchups, they will minimize his back-back games and give him rest days up until January and see where the team sits in points and where they sit in the standings.