GDT 10/15 - Chicago Blackhawks at Devils 6:00 CST

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
cut.png

TIME: 6 p.m. CT
TV: NBCSCH | RADIO: WGN 720-AM | STREAM: MyTeamsApp (In Market) & ESPN+ (Out of Market)
Chicago's season-opening trip rolls onward as the Blackhawks face the New Jersey Devils on Friday night in the first of two meetings on the year.
The visitors will look to rebound after dropping the opening tilt in Colorado on Wednesday, 4-2, while the hosts open their season at the Prudential Center.

GAMECENTER: CHI at NJ

RELEASE: Regula Activated Off IR, Assigned

TEAM RECORDS

• CHI: 0-1-0, 0 PTS
  • NJ: 0-0-0, 0 PTS

HOW TO WATCH

Don't miss a minute of the action on Friday night with John Wiedeman and Eddie Olczyk on the call on NBC Sports Chicago, or on WGN Radio 720-AM with Joseph Zakrzewski and Colin Fraser. Local viewers can also stream the game on the MyTeamsApp.
Andrew Shaw and Colby Cohen join Pat Boyle for pre and postgame coverage on NBC Sports Chicago beginning at 5:30 p.m.

LAST TIME OUT

The Blackhawks make their first trip to New Jersey since Dec. 6, 2019 when they defeated the Devils 2-1 in a shootout. Alex DeBrincat scored the lone regulation goal for the visitors and Kirby Dach recorded the game-deciding goal in the skills competition, his first ever shootout attempt.

OUT OF THE GATE

The biggest focus for the Blackhawks on Friday night will be on the opening minutes of the game, something they didn't execute well enough in the opener on Wednesday. Colorado jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first 10 minutes before Chicago settled in and started to build some momentum.
"We've got to start better," head coach Jeremy Colltion said Wednesday night. "Especially against good teams, you don't get 10 minutes to wade into the game… we'll address it and go from there."

BACK TO BACK

Chicago opens the first of 13 back-to-back sets on Friday night, facing the Devils in New Jersey before heading 300-some miles west to play the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday night.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they lose tonight, I will retire from making GDT's. I may be a jinx.
I'm really looking forward to Wiedeman tonight. We've met and hung out with him and he's a great guy. I hope he's the one to take over for Foley.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'm really looking forward to Wiedeman tonight. We've met and hung out with him and he's a great guy. I hope he's the one to take over for Foley.
It's honestly a bit of a farce that the Hawks are having this "open tryout" thing for Foley's replacement. It's completely and utterly unnecessary. Wiedeman is the guy, there is no other logical or better choice to replace Foley than him -- but let's have a bunch of dopes "try out" throughout the season. I really wonder whose dumb idea this was? They should have just given it Wiedeman from the jump.

greg23

Liked Posts:
It's honestly a bit of a farce that the Hawks are having this "open tryout" thing for Foley's replacement. It's completely and utterly unnecessary. Wiedeman is the guy, there is no other logical or better choice to replace Foley than him -- but let's have a bunch of dopes "try out" throughout the season. I really wonder whose dumb idea this was? They should have just given it Wiedeman from the jump.

Borrowing from the Bears and the BHVWGHC kicking competition 3 years ago.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Give it more than two tough home games to start the season.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It's a farce because it's not real. It's for the fans, and to draw attention and make more of a spectacle out of Foley's retirement, and as horrible as he's been the last few years, I can't say that his long career and past service doesn't require this sort of fanfare. You can bet the hawks have a plan, and this is going to be more of just a show to allow all these other guys to come in and get some experience and talk about how great Pat is and what he's meant to them. But you can bet no amount of fan twitter posts is going to sway them.

Granada

Liked Posts:
It's a farce because it's not real. It's for the fans, and to draw attention and make more of a spectacle out of Foley's retirement, and as horrible as he's been the last few years, I can't say that his long career and past service doesn't require this sort of fanfare. You can bet the hawks have a plan, and this is going to be more of just a show to allow all these other guys to come in and get some experience and talk about how great Pat is and what he's meant to them. But you can bet no amount of fan twitter posts is going to sway them.
Disagree here. People don't realize how good we had it with Foley. Yeah, the guy lost a step in recent years and his off-script goofy shit with Eddie can be annoying, but he can still call a damn fine game and his voice is iconic whether you like it or not. It's more than getting a player's name right or wrong -- it's an art form. Foley's inflections in any given situation during a game were utterly perfect, every time. Wiedeman is good, but in this respect, he doesn't hold a candle to Foley -- very few around the league do, actually. His voice makes a game, a save, a hit, any big moment, that much more exciting. It's like people forget this. All they care about is accuracy -- Dan Kelly was accurate as hell, but he was by far the worst play-by-play and his inflections were so atrocious, fans actually thought he was rooting for the other team. Same with the national play-by-play guys like Alberts, etc. These guys are accurate, but they suck. They get overly excited at the wrong time and under excited at the wrong time, over and over again.

I don't like this open try-out, but I'm perfectly fine with Foley getting the send-off he deserves this season. They didn't need this try-out for this; they could have easily brought in an extra guest in between periods and even during a small stretch of the second period along with Foley and Eddie to say nice words about Foley. This is just a stupid decision by an organization who is prone to make stupid decisions with regard to play-by-play choices (i.e. Dan Kelly).

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Disagree here. People don't realize how good we had it with Foley. Yeah, the guy lost a step in recent years and his off-script goofy shit with Eddie can be annoying, but he can still call a damn fine game and his voice is iconic whether you like it or not. It's more than getting a player's name right or wrong -- it's an art form. Foley's inflections in any given situation during a game were utterly perfect, every time. Wiedeman is good, but in this respect, he doesn't hold a candle to Foley -- very few around the league do, actually. His voice makes a game, a save, a hit, any big moment, that much more exciting. It's like people forget this. All they care about is accuracy -- Dan Kelly was accurate as hell, but he was by far the worst play-by-play and his inflections were so atrocious, fans actually thought he was rooting for the other team. Same with the national play-by-play guys like Alberts, etc. These guys are accurate, but they suck. They get overly excited at the wrong time and under excited at the wrong time, over and over again.

I don't like this open try-out, but I'm perfectly fine with Foley getting the send-off he deserves this season. They didn't need this try-out for this; they could have easily brought in an extra guest in between periods and even during a small stretch of the second period along with Foley and Eddie to say nice words about Foley. This is just a stupid decision by an organization who is prone to make stupid decisions with regard to play-by-play choices (i.e. Dan Kelly).
What exactly are you disagreeing with when you are saying what I just said.

Bust

Liked Posts:
MUST WIN! Hawks come out flat again means Stan needs to own up and fire JC.

If the past Hawks can fire Savard after 4 games . . .they can do same with Jeremy. DO IT!!!

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
What exactly are you disagreeing with when you are saying what I just said.
I disagree with the notion that this is being done solely to make Foley's retirement more of a "spectacle." Again, they wouldn't need to do that. They can easily bring in guests throughout the season, even during game play, as they've done before. They don't need to bring in multiple play-by-play people for entire games just to kiss Foley's ass.

I also disagree that "he's been horrible the last few years," and explained why I think that.

What exactly are you agreeing with, other than that he deserves a proper sendoff?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I disagree with the notion that this is being done solely to make Foley's retirement more of a "spectacle." Again, they wouldn't need to do that. They can easily bring in guests throughout the season, even during game play, as they've done before. They don't need to bring in multiple play-by-play people for entire games just to kiss Foley's ass.

I also disagree that "he's been horrible the last few years," and explained why I think that.

What exactly are you agreeing with, other than that he deserves a proper sendoff?
Lucky bastage. NHLN has the Devil's broadcast and you know I like Weiderman calling it.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How in the name of Zeus' BUTTHOLE did we not score there?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Well, down after 1..

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Weiderman is silk.

Eddies jibberish is bringing him down.

Hawks yet again look lost out there. Hagel is playing out his mind as usual, Seth is looking good, Kane doesn’t seem interested

I love the Blackhawks, but if losses get rid of Colonton…..

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Me-ow!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers