GDT: Blackhawks (6-0-2) @ Flames (1-3-1) 9PM

Ton

Liked Posts:
I love the kid, but Saad really made a lot of mistakes today. I hope they give him a little slack and let him learn.

For some reason, I think Q will give him that slack. If it were any other player, I bet they would be benched -- I hope that doesn't happen to him. Good experience for the kid... seemed like he was given more responsibility today, so that could be a reason why he struggled. He still created a few good plays and drew a penalty, but other than that he really looked like a kid fresh out of Juniors.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hawks had no business getting two points from this game. Emery saved their asses. But then again the Flames are shit. The Hawks need to stop taking penalties late in the periods, can't count on the PK to bail them out every time. Still no regulation loss and if the Hawks can manage that for the second half of the road trip then I will call it a success.

Eh, wins is wins is wins---Hawks outplayed MIN and VAN and din't get the 2 pts. so horseshit midget hockey play against CGY or not as far as I am concerned they were due one by the hockey gods. I don't believe in moral victories when they lose so conversely as a greedy fangirl asshole I'll take a win any way possible. Good teams usually find ways to win. They were badly outplayed and esp. outshot by CGY so as far as I am concerned it just means the Hawks better talent made more of very fewer chances and were opportunistic while CGY had to muster their absolute best play, deliver an onslaught and still couldn't get it done in their vastly superior number of chances. Also, I loathe the Lames so there's that, LOL.

I love the kid, but Saad really made a lot of mistakes today. I hope they give him a little slack and let him learn.

For some reason, I think Q will give him that slack. If it were any other player, I bet they would be benched -- I hope that doesn't happen to him. Good experience for the kid... seemed like he was given more responsibility today, so that could be a reason why he struggled. He still created a few good plays and drew a penalty, but other than that he really looked like a kid fresh out of Juniors.

Excepting Emery they ALL made a lot of mistakes in that game.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I hope so too. If he does want to bench him, I hope he'd at least consider him on the third line for a game, if he wants/needs to send a messages.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
7-0-2.

That is all that matters.

bierboy

Liked Posts:
Emery played his ass off. Hawks could have easily lost 5-1 or so without his play (and the lucky posts).

Our opponents have had those "lucky posts" the previous two games...

Agreed, Saad had an off game...but he's allowed for the way he's been playing.

And there is no way in holy hades that Emery should start Tuesday. He had an outstanding game, but Crow has had more of them...

R K

You sure you aren't talking about Sharp?

sth

Liked Posts:

Or Toews, Hossa, Shaw, Kane, Stalberg, Bickell, Kruger, Frolik, Keith, Seabs, Hammer.... Seriously no one played well last night other than crazy Ray. What's amazing though is this. The Flames game and the Wings game. Both the 3rd game in 4 nights, both games the team looked dead on their skates. And they won both games, somehow. That is amazing.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glenncross could've made that score 7-0 with all his scoring chances. Glad Razor had a good game. Thank you hockey gods for allowing a gassed team to pull out a win.

puterwiz53

Liked Posts:
I don't know what game everyone was wantching last night but Saad did not make a lot of mistakes. He made a couple of mistakes which is expected of a rookie. There were other Hawks who made far more mistakes than Saad. A brutal schedule leads to tired bodies which leads to plenty of mistakes. Rather than point out the mistakes of a rookie, one needs to point out all the mistakes by the veterans. Continuing to not lose in regulation while playing a brutal schedule speaks volumes for the Hawks.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Emery.jpg

The alternative meaning of HNIC is completely apropos. Well done #30!

Nice.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
Or Toews, Hossa, Shaw, Kane, Stalberg, Bickell, Kruger, Frolik, Keith, Seabs, Hammer.... Seriously no one played well last night other than crazy Ray. What's amazing though is this. The Flames game and the Wings game. Both the 3rd game in 4 nights, both games the team looked dead on their skates. And they won both games, somehow. That is amazing.

The good teams are the ones who can win games like that on shitty nights.

Thank you hockey gods for blessing us with that win last night.
<

R K

Kane scored a goal, assisted on the game tying goal, and won the shoot out. I'm guessing he gets a pass on his gaff.

sth

Liked Posts:
Kane scored a goal, assisted on the game tying goal, and won the shoot out. I'm guessing he gets a pass on his gaff.

I was gonna leave Kane off. Bri said he was the one guy who showed up last night. I should never go against her on that stuff.

Ton

Liked Posts:

No, I'm talking about Saad. I know everyone had a shitty game, but he definitely looked like a rookie last night, flashes here and there but a lot of mistakes. His worst was at the end when he gave the puck away in our own zone, then the slashing penalty in OT. I watched the game twice, it was his worst game by far in the defensive end and only made a few plays offensively. Like I said, I'm not too worried. Kane was pretty bad defensively too and his turnover ended up in the back of the net, Saad was a bit more lucky in that regard so it wasn't magnified, but the difference is Kane produces and without his offensive vision we lose this game. Just about the only positive I saw out of Saad was the penalty he drew in the 1st period. Like I said, personally I wouldn't change anything, but knowing Q after reviewing this game I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut back on Saad. But I think the reward outweighs the risk, so I hope he keeps throwing him out there.

A few people complained about Oduya and Hammer, but I thought they played well given the situation (both received almost 25 minutes each) and the forwards really didn't give the defense enough help. Hossa was a mad-man backchecking on the Flames last rush -- but that was just about the only hustle I saw from any forward all night on the back check and I can't recall a single moment where a forward actually attacked the puck in the defensive zone instead of standing around. It was the Emery show, but credit to Hammer, Oduya, Keith, and Seabrook too... 14 blocked shots between the four of them -- that's usually a high number for the entire team to have, let alone four players.. The ice baths are flowing today.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

uh, Kane had a goal, the cross-ice pass/assist to Oduya that led to Hossa's goal and the SO goal.

EDIT: missed RK's post, but I did give Kaner props on P. 1 of this thread.
<

EspoForever

Liked Posts:
7-0-2.

That is all that matters.

Is it really? 7-0-2 is not the "one goal", and it's a nice start, but won't carry us long-term.

The fact that silly mistakes that started in the Columbus game are not getting corrected does matter, long-term.

16 of 18 points is great, don't get me wrong...but this team just keeps giving the puck away in that deadly 10 foot zone just on our side of each blue line. When that happens it catches players busting up ice and leads to pucks in your net.

Our coaches have never corrected that since Torchetti left, so I have no reason to believe they will now.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Every team seems to use a version of aggressive fore checking and neutral zone trapping against them. Some teams do it better than other teams. Hopefully the Blackhawks continue to rack up the points.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Is it really? 7-0-2 is not the "one goal", and it's a nice start, but won't carry us long-term.

The fact that silly mistakes that started in the Columbus game are not getting corrected does matter, long-term.

16 of 18 points is great, don't get me wrong...but this team just keeps giving the puck away in that deadly 10 foot zone just on our side of each blue line. When that happens it catches players busting up ice and leads to pucks in your net.

Our coaches have never corrected that since Torchetti left, so I have no reason to believe they will now.

Lol

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Espo, the giving away of the puck in the deadly 10 foot zone just on our side of each blue line has been a staple of this team since the previous lockout....that and the Chinese fired drills on D.