General Blackhawks Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
hossa is key. a hossa less hawks team will not win a cup. with hossa they are dynamic. need some role pkayers to step up....cough cough bickell.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
hossa is key. a hossa less hawks team will not win a cup. with hossa they are dynamic. need some role pkayers to step up....cough cough bickell.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

Just has to hope that Bickell does step up, and when he does, that it isn't too little too late. I understand that he "earned" his contract in the playoffs last year but when you have a cap hit of $4mil a year, that player needs to help the team position themselves in the regular season. Bickell hasn't done that yet, and I'm afraid that if he finally decides to show up in the playoffs it will have to be against some of the best teams out there because Blackhawks may place middle of the pack in the West.

Someone else mentioned Leddy as a potential guy to step up in the postseason, and I just don't see that. I am a big Leddy fan but Q is shielding him on that last line and when someone in the top 4 has gone down this year, it hasn't been Leddy that stepped into their places. Some of the best speed and a great entry in the zone, but he doesn't know what to do with the puck when he gets in the zone. A nice first pass a lot of the time, but he is prone to turnovers and being weak on the puck in the corner. He is only 22 and I love what he brings as the #5 guy, but Q shielded him big time in the playoffs last year, and I think he will do the same again this year. Leddy actually averaged the least amount of time on ice last year in the playoffs for any Blackhawks regular defenseman.

I am thinking that the 4th line could provide some quality time in the Playoffs. Guys like Smith and Bollig will have increased roles this year and hopefully they step up and play like they have been. The 4th line has always been a solid part of the Blackhawks last two Stanley Cups, in my opinion. Everyone needs to step up and hopefully they start to turn it up towards the end of the regular season here.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just wait til the playoffs. I'll declare that the Hawks won't be beaten and everyone will tell me I'm an idiot and then the Hawks will win the Cup again. It'll be swell.

How on earth are you going to cope this Hawks playoff season sans Bolland?

:D

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
I don't think Rundblad looked out of place, and have to think that Versteeg will get his number 32 back next season if he wants it. I don't really mind Brookbank as a depth guy -although I guess you could say that if he is playing wing ... then that is not where you want him. Otoh if you need to put someone else in there... then, that is what player development is all about.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice....these college signings are always intriguing though I don't understand why these players don't go into draft?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Nice....these college signings are always intriguing though I don't understand why these players don't go into draft?

There's only a 3 years of eligibility for a draft I think, or some timeframe. I recall it being said a lot how Shaw was passed over twice and the Hawks drafted him in his 3rd and final draft eligible year.

Van Riemsdyk they just signed is 22 and a senior, he must of been passed over the last 3 years.

I got insanely confused because when they signed Matt Carey they said he was a freshman. He was, but he's also 22. I assume he was playing in the other hockey leagues and never for much attention until he decided to join a college last year.

Also sometimes a guy may choose to not sign with the team that drafted him if he's gone though enough years since drafted. That's the concern coming for the Hawks with Stephen Johns and Kevin Hayes ending their college careers soon.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's only a 3 years of eligibility for a draft I think, or some timeframe. I recall it being said a lot how Shaw was passed over twice and the Hawks drafted him in his 3rd and final draft eligible year.

Van Riemsdyk they just signed is 22 and a senior, he must of been passed over the last 3 years.

I got insanely confused because when they signed Matt Carey they said he was a freshman. He was, but he's also 22. I assume he was playing in the other hockey leagues and never for much attention until he decided to join a college last year.

Also sometimes a guy may choose to not sign with the team that drafted him if he's gone though enough years since drafted. That's the concern coming for the Hawks with Stephen Johns and Kevin Hayes ending their college careers soon.

can I assume the circle is round and the eligibility 3 year issue is exactly why a guy like Shaw might get passed over his first couple years in college? Teams don't want to risk losing rights if they draft some of these guys?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
can I assume the circle is round and the eligibility 3 year issue is exactly why a guy like Shaw might get passed over his first couple years in college? Teams don't want to risk losing rights if they draft some of these guys?

I think Shaw probably didn't have great numbers nor did he look impressive skating, handling, or size wise. That's probably only the reason he went ignored early on until the Hawks liked his tenacity.

I saw someone on hf say there's a recuperation of draft pick possibility if a guy doesn't sign. Not sure how that works either but I read the Hawks could get a 2015 2nd round pick if Stephen Johns, who was drafted in the 2nd 2010, doesn't sign.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Shaw probably didn't have great numbers nor did he look impressive skating, handling, or size wise. That's probably only the reason he went ignored early on until the Hawks liked his tenacity.

I saw someone on hf say there's a recuperation of draft pick possibility if a guy doesn't sign. Not sure how that works either but I read the Hawks could get a 2015 2nd round pick if Stephen Johns, who was drafted in the 2nd 2010, doesn't sign.

so, to understand the totality of this process, what does Stephen Johns gain by doing that? I'm glad to have the pick back, but would rather have a 6'4" inch 235 lb 21 year old defensemen with USA experience.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
so, to understand the totality of this process, what does Stephen Johns gain by doing that? I'm glad to have the pick back, but would rather have a 6'4" inch 235 lb 21 year old defensemen with USA experience.

He gets to go to a team of his choosing and the team usually gets a bargain on the ELC. He isn't "forced" to go to a team that drafted him. A similar situation happened recently with Justin Schultz when he didn't sign in Anaheim and instead had upwards of 15+ teams trying to sign him, eventually landing in Edmonton.

Right now, and I may be wrong, I do not believe that a team gets a pick back in a future draft if a player takes advantage of this "loophole" and they are selected AFTER the first round. Could be wrong, but I don't believe they do.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He gets to go to a team of his choosing and the team usually gets a bargain on the ELC. He isn't "forced" to go to a team that drafted him. A similar situation happened recently with Justin Schultz when he didn't sign in Anaheim and instead had upwards of 15+ teams trying to sign him, eventually landing in Edmonton.

Right now, and I may be wrong, I do not believe that a team gets a pick back in a future draft if a player takes advantage of this "loophole" and they are selected AFTER the first round. Could be wrong, but I don't believe they do.

Well that blows. I hope his people come to their senses and realize we have the veteran leadership and track record of youth development that shows their isn't a better place for him to be, particularly right now as a defensemen in our stocked minor leagues, an elite young defensemen is our next need once we find 2C. We have a plethora of wingers and points keeping guys like Morin stuck, but cracking that defense won't be impossible for Stephen Johns talent level.

Oh well...what didn't work for Pirri for whatever reason seems a perfect fit for Tuevo. Once guy was blocked from developing in the same system where another succeeds. We just value tenacity and defensive intelligence and you won't get sniffed here with just great stick handling, though we value that too.

I actually think Morin getting into a fracas recently and agitating the opponent was what finally got him over the hump in terms of team support. Tuevo has 10 games to prove his toughness to the vets or I fear he will be sent down to preserve another year of eligibility.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Stephen Johns was quoted last offseason saying that he'd be in Chicago after this season. I'm not worried about him just yet.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All this hype with Teuvo, yet trash like Handzus somehow gets 17 mins of ice time vs the B's. :rolleyes:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All this hype with Teuvo, yet trash like Handzus somehow gets 17 mins of ice time vs the B's. :rolleyes:

Handzus and Versteeg make reliable decisions for the most part. They are solid veterans that add cohesion to the team. I think right now we are just going through more change than we have in recent years trying to compansate for so many offensive injuries and working in all the trades. Regin, Morin, Tuevo, Rundbland are slowly going to take over the Brookbank, Handzus type minutes and we should be better for it when its over, however, this transition to chemistry could be dicey with Kane out

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look at the Bruins center depth compared to the Hawks..nuff said.

It's night & day.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Look at the Bruins center depth compared to the Hawks..nuff said.

It's night & day.

Yep. Bruins are unbeatable. Hawks suck. Might as fold up the franchise. They'll never beat Boston in a 7-game series. Even less so if they fall behind 2-1.

hawks-lift-cup-gif-one-final.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.