Gerald McCoy released

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
If McCoy is willing to take a reduced role and paycut, then all-aboard.

But yeah, I see Nichols demanding an increased role. He was very good last year and I think he'll be a lot better this year. So, McCoy is perhaps at starter in name only, but platoons at both end spots for Nichols and when Hicks moves inside to Nose.

Good problem to have.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
When I heard McCoy got cut I wondered how he fits in the other FA DTs that are waiting for work: Suh, Wilkerson, Liuget, Logan, Peko, etc...

There are a lot of FA DTs out there and some are way better scheme fits for your 3-4 than McCoy. If I were the Bears I'd look at:

Logan - He's your run stuffing NT.
Wilkerson - He's been a good 5 tech before and might welcome a rotational role.
Liuget - Was better as a 3-4 DE than a DT in Gus Bradley's 4-3 under (or over, I'm not sure).

Anyway, there's a healthy pool of talented DTs available. No need to run to McCoy.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nichols is a stud. Going into his 2nd year, he is going to be even better. Completely a steal of a pick.
The funny part is they knew exactly what he was and drafted him a round or two early just to make sure nobody else was also in love. They had the inside Delaware knowledge of why his stats dropped, and like Miller, Montgomery, Wimms, Cohen, the first Ridley brother...was a guy they were totally enamored with. Not like Daniels who was a change of plans...some of these guys they were very zeroed in on.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I heard McCoy got cut I wondered how he fits in the other FA DTs that are waiting for work: Suh, Wilkerson, Liuget, Logan, Peko, etc...

There are a lot of FA DTs out there and some are way better scheme fits for your 3-4 than McCoy. If I were the Bears I'd look at:

Liuget - Was better as a 3-4 DE than a DT in Gus Bradley's 4-3 under (or over, I'm not sure).

Anyway, there's a healthy pool of talented DTs available. No need to run to McCoy.
Yeah...he was for sure a Sapp mold 3-tech who would have fit Lovie's defense perfect. Not a nose tackle and not a 5-tech. Pure 3-tech.

Yeah...I'd go with our own guy... Collins?... or take the Logan suggestion. Thats what is really needed behind Goldman and Hicks...just somebody real big to take some short down snaps away from Goldman and free him up to rush the passer more.

That was one thing Lovie was at the forefront of...rotation. No reason to give Goldman hard downs in semi-important games. Get someone who specializes in hard downs like we had with Adams, Teddy Williams, Perry, Traylor.

Not only would it help rest Goldman/Hicks to have something extra for premium downs, but there is a history of that type of player excelling on that field with this grass and this winter/wind.

The Patriots are done. Lets start a new era.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Bucs signing Suh to one year deal to replace McCoy.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Such just signed with Tampa

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Does he even fit our defense?
That's a good question as he is a 3tech type of T ala Tommie Harris. However, don't quote me, but I think Pags has has some success implementing 3 tech type of DL in a hybrid D like the Bears. If he comes cheap, he might a good run stopper in the 4-3 over/under sets.