Germany wins and moves to the quarter finals

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Robben gets better with age! Had he not had those huge injury concerns all those earlier years I have no doubt we would be mentioning him with Messi and Ronaldo.

Shit, I thought he was talking about Rusty Staub, and just forgot to add the Le Grand.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Back on topic - Argentina or Germany, but I'll be rooting for Holland. Bouchard is cute to me in a fatherly sort of way - she'll have a career without serious injury. Only Canadians think I hate Canadians.

I think the Netherlands beat Argentina in the semis. Brazil beats Germany in the other.

Holland over Brazil in the final.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
1329246212_girl_soccer_kick.gif

lets boot this thing where it belongs mods

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think the Netherlands beat Argentina in the semis. Brazil beats Germany in the other.

Holland over Brazil in the final.

You know a lot more than me about the sport. I'd like that, but it would be fun to see Holland and Germany in the final.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
Might as well just say Germany. I'm giving Brazil no chance without Neymar.

Technically yes, also without their defensive leader, but you're not only playing Brazil, you're playing them and the refs and a stadium that will give Brazil the biggest home field advantage. Brazil so far has never really been the better team in their WC games, but they find ways to win. I also fully expect them to play bunker ball.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
WTF, the Belgiums are trying to muscle Messi....basturds

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Brazil with no ymar and no Silva. Germany advances unless the refs blow it. Again. .

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Holy cow! How many times will they hit the bar?

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I went into this World Cup liking soccer. I kind of think it is a bit pathetic now. Granted I respect their ability to trot around for 90 minutes, shoot 10 yards over a giant cage and all, but the flopping and screaming like they are dying every time they are touched. It is a bit much. I do feel bad for the guy that broke his back, I figured he was faking like every other player that was touched.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not necessarily, Brazil will now play bunker ball and will have the refs with them

Are these the same refs that let Neymar get roughed up in all their games and didn't even give a yellow card on the play that broke his back? There was the one cheap penalty against Croatia but the idea that Brazil has had the refs on their side is absurd. Anyone who watches soccer regularly knows that the refs are always a bit inconsistent. There is too much field to cover with so few refs and no replay. Brazil has gotten calls in their favor and have been screwed by calls just like every team in this tournament.

As for playing bunker ball, I doubt it. If anything this will allow them to play on the counter-attack which is probably where they are better. Most teams play bunker ball against them which is why they looked great in the first half against Colombia who fooled themselves into thinking they could be more attack minded unlike the other teams that faced them and Brazil responded by running up and down the filed on them without much contribution from Neymar.

Germany should be the favorite but if they go into this game with the same mentality that they can just attack and attack then I suspect they will leave themselves open on the counter. That and the fact Brazil are great on set pieces which also doesn't require Neymar is where they will have a chance.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The officiating and rules are stupid too. Not for those reasons mentioned by Remy but just in general. Considering this is a football board. What's the equivalent to a close free kick? Cutler throwing the ball 3 yards to Marshall with no coverage for a touchdown?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
WTF is a close free kick? Do you mean a penalty kick?

As for the rules, the fist problem is the visibility of the play. In football, if a ref misses a hold, there is a good chance you may not see it because you are looking at the runner and not the blocker. In soccer, most fouls or dives occur against the guy who has the ball, so you can always see and debate whether it was the right call or not.

The second problem is that there is too much subjectivity regarding what constitutes a foul and what doesn't and what should be carded and what shouldn't. This is especially true when a guys get punished for actually staying on his feet. If a guy fouls you but you don't go down but the foul ends up knocking you off balance and disrupting the play then you get screwed as the ref won't call it. If however, you go down even if you technically could have stayed on your feet then you get the call. The end result is players feel the need to try and sell a foul to get a call because there is greater risk in staying on your feet after contact unless you are sure you can make a play.

The final problem is the field is just too damn big to manage the game especially with no replay. It just makes it way too easy for a ref to not see a play and make the wrong call.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wish they'd shrink the field, but there are a lot of soccer purists out there. In any event, after all of that Holland lives.