Giving this team their props

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
These guys were up against it coming into this year. All the changes, having the "Cup Champs" target on their back - every game - even though it was a completely new team. Playing all those games last year through June - then having to play the 20gms in 39 days to start the season.

And with 16gms left, they find themselves the hottest team in the league, only 6pts behind DET for the Central Division. Their 218 goals is second in the league - 1 behind DET.

At the same time last year...

09-10 - 44-19-6

10-11 - 37-23-9

Goals for and goals against -

09-10 - 218 - 174

10-11 - 218 - 182

Keep on trucking boys. "Winning" (as the Great Charlie Sheen would say)...the Cup is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. Repeating as cup winners - harder. They may not this year, but the pieces are in place to get there sooner rather than later. With the addition of Campoli, I love this Dgroups mobility. I hope Scooter does his magic and keeps them together. A full year together next year to gel....could be sickening. I liked Skille - but Frolik may be Versteeg/Bochenski II. He's getting more and more confident and could end up being a 20-25goal/50-60pt guy on this talented team.

I'm not a Bickell guy - but whats not to like about essentially a rookie potting 16g in 63gms so far - with his cap hit at 500K - for another 2 years. Stalberg is finding his niche on the fourth line...and the players are looking more and more comfortable in Q's system.

I'd really like to see this team win 2 rounds/get back to the conference finals for the 3rd time in a row. I also look forward to seeing Scooter's plan on who to keep - and who to bring up. I don't want to see many changes to this team in the offseason and think the guys in rockford could use a little more time down there.

Keep up the good work Hawks...

supraman

Liked Posts:
I've spent a large portion of the season extremely frustrated with the team. I knew the team could play hockey like they are playing now and when they continually played the opposite of their current play I got mad. I am happy to see the boys playing like they should and I think we will be a scary team once we get into the playoffs. Toews is the perfect leader for this club. The kid is just a winner, it is what he does, so yeah get to the playoffs and repeating isn't entirely unreasonable.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Hopefully the lesson to learn here, is that it takes time for a new team to gel and to have faith in the leaders to get the job done. Not just Toews...but Sharp, Seabrook, Keith all have quite a bit of character. Hossa and Kane are big time gamers and I can't think of 2 other players I want the puck on their stick when the game is on the line.

It was obvious early on, you saw alot of those guys coming back felt the need to grip the stick a little tight. Losing all those players, I'd bet the felt the need to carry the load - and thats the worst thing/hardest thing to do.

The character assasination this team took at times - labeled no heart, not trying, not caring, etc - was pretty shameful and hopefully in the future, fans have faith that they care just as much about winning as they do. Things may not always go the way they want, they may not win every game - but with this leadership core and coaching staff - they do give their all and want to win.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Still think they are a major fail, they just don't hit enough. /sarcasm.

This team has been truly frustrating all year, good to know though that when the pressure it son they are producing. Especially the stars, the core, the top players that are being counted on to pull this team through. A lot of players and a lot of depth was sacrificed to keep the core together, it's good to see them not fall on their face and show that so far it was worth it. Here's to 9 in a row and inching closer to the division crown.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I think theyre frustrating if you expected them to be at thier peak when having to infuse that many new players onto a team that plays a puck possesion - up tempo system. Timing and finding players roles...is a process.

Awhile back, I posted something regarding how long players have played together on their team. I think DET had something like 10-11 players with 6+ years of being in DET. Then vets like Stuart, Rafalski, Bertuzzi have been there like 3-4yrs respectively.

The Hawks, on the other hand...have Sharp, Seabrook and Keith as the only 3 Hawks that have played together for a total of 6 years on this team. Then you have Toews, Kane, Bolland...on their year 4...Brouwer, Campbell in year 3....

Point is, in order to build this long term continuity....its going to take time, but the right players are here to get this job done.

supraman

Liked Posts:
I think theyre frustrating if you expected them to be at thier peak when having to infuse that many new players onto a team that plays a puck possesion - up tempo system. Timing and finding players roles...is a process.

Awhile back, I posted something regarding how long players have played together on their team. I think DET had something like 10-11 players with 6+ years of being in DET. Then vets like Stuart, Rafalski, Bertuzzi have been there like 3-4yrs respectively.

The Hawks, on the other hand...have Sharp, Seabrook and Keith as the only 3 Hawks that have played together for a total of 6 years on this team. Then you have Toews, Kane, Bolland...on their year 4...Brouwer, Campbell in year 3....

Point is, in order to build this long term continuity....its going to take time, but the right players are here to get this job done.

I agree to an extent. Q constantly juggling the lines delayed chemistry being built. From this point on the STK should NEVER be changed again, ever, ever, except for injuries. Which yes we did go through that Struggle for awhile. That is my biggest gripe with Q he's too quick to change up the lines

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
But as a coach..you want to see what works and what doesnt at times. I know alot here disagree with that, but with the new faces, lack of centers....he had to give things different looks.

He's a coach that relies/believes heavily in matchups as well.

And now, if something were to happen injury wise, or if they're down a goal - he knows different players that have had success with each other and how it looks. He's put that 3rd/4th line out there now in key situations the last few games - and they've produced.

If he didn't juggle lines - he wouldnt have found the Kopecky/Stalberg/Johnson line or Frolik/Dowell/Browuer line - bothe have been playing well. Q's proven when all lines are clicking - he doesnt mess with it. His "juggling" has also produced these new D pairings...which have been stellar.

bierboy

Liked Posts:
I'd respond to this, but you'd just thump your chest about "bandwagon" fans....

nana

Liked Posts:
This is my type of thread.
<

R K

I agree with everything but the line changing. It's needed to an extent but he tinkers way too much IMO.

Either way when they are consistently winning I don't give a shit.

6pts from FIRST. GO GET IT!

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I really want to catch DET.

They play 3 times...and I can realisticly see 2-1 in those games, so make up 2pts there.

So they'd need to make up 4pts in the other 13gms. Det has...

Home - LA, EDM, WASH, PITT, VAN, TOR, STL, MINN

Road - STL, CLB, NASH, NASH, CAR

The Hawks -

Home - SJ, FLA, ANA, TB, STL

Road - FLA, TB, WASH, DAL, PHX, BOS, CLB, MTL

R K

Realistically I think Detroit has the harder schedule.

Top that off with I really think we are still a better Road team than home.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I think we can get 1st in the division, but who knows what happens considering they are going to the White House mid-season to touch the Cup.

ginnie

Liked Posts:
Yeah, its nice to see the Hawks get hot at the right time. I must admit, not too long ago I was actually worried about them even making the playoffs (not that its a lock now either).

I love the way they're playing now - cool and collected.

R K

I think we can get 1st in the division, but who knows what happens considering they are going to the White House mid-season to touch the Cup.

Doubt they can win the Division since Frolik sucks so much.
<

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Def think Q has his lines now. Why it took this long who knows?

Good post pmx but i still think you smell like fungus at a douchebag nude beach.

I will admit I was skeptical that the boys could put together this streak they have. Just didn't look like the team that was going to do it. I like eating crow and I am loving what I see from them now. They have "that feel" again.

Campoli has looked solid and Frolov starting to go? Needed that. Love the top line..god they are fucking fun to watch. Why did it take so long to put it together?

pmx i have to ask what it is about Bickell you haven't liked this season? Lack of physicality? I think he has had a solid year for a guy who is in his first full year and who has bounced lines. He and Bolland look right together. I have a great feeling about Bickell as this team moves forward. He has flashes of a guy that will be a solid 50 + points guy guy in this league.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
The "not liking" Bickell is really based on I thought he'd be a different type of player. I thought they'd get a little more grit out of him or he'd be better around the net/in corners.

I think he's good at finishing his hits and his shot is better than thought. I don't think he has a very good net prescence (although his last 2 goals were in that rebound area). But the majority of his goals seem to be far out shots. Now, they all count...so who gives a shit...I just thought he'd be more of a "in the face" type - based purely on him being 6'4 220lbs. Just seems like he tries to be more "finesse". I also thinks he loses WAY to many battles on the boards - specifically in his own zone/trying to get the puck out. He seems to get out muscled.

Like you said....he's a rookie...and his production is not too shabby. I just was expecting a different player more than not liking him.

And when did the Hawks get Frolov? Again...another dipshit comment. You get more stupid the longer your posts are. Fucking moron.

And if anyone knows what fungus smells like at a nude beach...its you.