GM Jed Hoyer: A deal with the Mets will happen at some point

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Tough call. Gray over Noah, but Hamels over both. Hamels helps now as Does Gray. Noah maybe a couple of years to figure it all out. Gray would cost at least double Hamels in a trade. Give me hamels. I'm striking now and keeping some specs.

How do you figure double? Amaro wants a team's top 2 prospects and another from the top 10. Nobody has gotten desperate to bite yet but someone will. Gray would cost Billy Beane's price which is usually a little different from what everyone expects.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How do you figure double? Amaro wants a team's top 2 prospects and another from the top 10. Nobody has gotten desperate to bite yet but someone will. Gray would cost Billy Beane's price which is usually a little different from what everyone expects.

Can Billy Beane do some crazy deal? Absolutely. But I'm basing this off a normal haul of Gray's pedigree. Honestly I see Beane fired shortly

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Can Billy Beane do some crazy deal? Absolutely. But I'm basing this off a normal haul of Gray's pedigree. Honestly I see Beane fired shortly

Nah, Beane's got a job for life. I'd be absolutely stunned if he was fired. If he is and a more conventional GM takes over Gray goes nowhere, probably ever.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Beane will retire before he is fired.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Seriously doubt Oakland can fire him. He's one of the few guys who can operate in that type of environment.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hamels makes the most sense for the Cubs. If they can pull a Baez, Jimenez, Vogelbach and Jackson for Hamels they would be only adding 12.5 mil in 2015 and 2016. 2017 and 18 they would pay the full 22.5 mil each year but by then they might be looking at the farm to provide some SP options around him and Lester to provide cash relief.

The talent given up: Soler is long term in RF. So Eloy...really a future block. Vogelbach...Rizzo block. Baez again blocked. Losing Jackson (worth the deal alone.)

It doesn't solve LF for this year or next. Ya they could push up Almora's time line by promoting him to AAA over the next month and promote him in Sept and start him in 2016. But with Fowler going to F/A that really doesn't solve much. Now extending Fowler and moving him to LF could be explored at that point.

Honestly Cole is a ace. Grey is not. Cole has won a WS. Has been to the WS many times. The Cubs need more of that over the next few years.

Sure looking at it from a youth perspective Grey makes sense but the Cubs are a bigger market and can add contract. They are not forced into making small market decisions.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
They might give him that opportunity, but I predict he's gone before 2016 never to be hired anywhere again.
Ok. When he is there next year, I will necromance this thread and let you know your prediction sucks and Nostradamus likely wasn't a part of your bloodlines. :D

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They might give him that opportunity, but I predict he's gone before 2016 never to be hired anywhere again.

I'm not sure where this even comes from. Everything I've ever seen or read or even heard about has him in that job for every bit as long as he would like it. I've never even heard a whisper of him losing his job which is why he was able to do such a strange rework of his roster in this offseason. That's not the work of someone trying to preserve a job. I'm completely baffled by this.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Ok. When he is there next year, I will necromance this thread and let you know your prediction sucks and Nostradamus likely wasn't a part of your bloodlines. :D

more than not likely. ;)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure where this even comes from. Everything I've ever seen or read or even heard about has him in that job for every bit as long as he would like it. I've never even heard a whisper of him losing his job which is why he was able to do such a strange rework of his roster in this offseason. That's not the work of someone trying to preserve a job. I'm completely baffled by this.
He's made some awful moves recently. We shall see. I mean the White Sox pull this stuff frequently so I know Beane could be a lifer, but he's bad. No other way to put it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
A thought occurred to me earlier. The cubs make some sense as a third wheel to a Tulo trade. For example, let's say ultimately the Mets go nuts and grab Tulo. For the sake of argument let's say the cost is Syndergaard and Matz plus. That leaves the rockies with Jon Gray(23), Tyler Matzek(23), Jordan Lyles(23), Eddie Butler(23), Tyler Anderson(24), Kyle Freeland(21) Syndergaard(22) and Matz(24). That is a lot of young pitching. In terms of hitting, colorado has Arenado, Dickerson and Rosario as all under 26 players but not much else. David Dahl(OF), Ryan McMahon(3B), Raimel Tapia(OF), and Forrest Wall(2B) are their 50+ rating hitting prospects.

It's entirely probably the Rockies would want to move some of that pitching for hitting. Vogelbach would likely interest them as they don't have much in the way of 1B. MI would also likely interest them. Even if the Rockies don't trade him to the Metz there's a good chance they will have pitching to deal