GMFB: Nate "explains" Why Justin Fields will be Bears starting QB in Week 1?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Fields is tons more talented than Dalton...obviously.

But that doesn’t mean he starts over Dalton. He has to learn an NFL playbook and then be able to understand how to best NGL defenses so he can be able to actually USE that talent first. And that is not a guarantee to happen in training camp. In fact, the odds are very much against it...

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do you think the week 17 game will be in Vegas?

Good question. Was the schedule set before they voted that in, and extra games tacked on the end?
Seems they'd want to hold onto those last games with playoff implications on the line & make some prime time decisions.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Isn't Dalton also learning the offense from zero just like Fields?

Granted he has more NFL experience, but if Fields is really the intellectual prodigy and one of the most NFL ready rookie QBs, why would Nagy spend extra time catering his playbook to Dalton's non-mobile needs when he could continue to "feed the Fields"?

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Zero percent chance he starts week one. About 95% chance that he becomes the starter during the season

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Fields very well may start Week 1, but it won't be because of any of the reasons they gave. Their arguments are faulty logic.

People forget that what you or I believe means zilch. What Pace and Nagy believe means everything.

Their reason #1: Dalton's not good

The fault in that logic: If Pace and Nagy didn't think Dalton could be good enough to run the offense, they wouldn't have signed him.

Their reason #2: Fields is NFL-ready

The fault in that logic: Maybe he is, but we don't actually know that to be true. And coaches tend to be more cautious on such things than your typical fan/analyst.

Their reason #3: There will be people at training camp scrambling to see Justin Fields

The fault in that logic: It's self-evident that this reason makes no sense as to why Fields would start Week 1.

Their reason #4: Pace and Nagy's jobs are on the line.

The fault in that logic: **Are** their jobs on the line? I still maintain that, no, they're not. And even if they were, starting Fields Week 10 vs. Week 1 would probably have no effect.

The only real reason Fields **may** start Week 1:

Fields clearly shows in training camp and preseason that he's just much better already than Dalton/Foles.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
If it was 2020, maybe, but the camp and preseason games will run a lot more normal this year.

Let's be honest here. If Fields is anywhere near what many of you says he is, he's already better than Dalton. Like Nate said, its not like Dalton is the team vet that already knows the playbook. Fields will be a few months behind in that regard, but they're both brand new in playing with this offense. They both have to gel with the current players.

And frankly, what is Nagy gonna do...hide both of them in the 3 preseason games and just roll Foles out there? Yeah right. Maybe the 3rd game.

I think whoever looks more ready to lead this offense in those 2 preseason games starts week 1, and I'm 99% sure its Fields.
Physically Fields is the best QB I have ever seen in a Bears uniform, now if he has the football I.Q. that i have been reading about Dalton does not have a chance of holding him off. I see this as a Matt Flynn Russell Wilson type situation where Flynn was the starter until the Seahawks saw just how good Wilson was.