Go Big or Go Home Mock Offseason - Watson Edition

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Inspired by Windy's Mock Offseason but the goal here is to completely remake the team and shift the focus away from relying on defense.

Released

OT Bobbie Massie 7.5 million [June 1]
TE Jimmy Graham 7 million
CB Buster Skrine 5 million [June 1]

Extended
Fuller - 4 years 48 million first year cap hit of 11 million (saves 9 million). Fuller got 14m AAV on his last deal but that was when he was 3 years younger. As this new deal takes him thru his age 32 season I dropped the AAV down to 12m on the assumption that he has less prime years left and this is post COVID.

Hicks - 3 years 27 million first year cap hit of 7 million (saves 3 million). Same concept with Hicks. New deal will take him thru age 34 season so dropped his AAV from 12 million on his last deal to 9 million here.

Trade
Broncos trade the 9th and 41st picks to Bears for Mack. This trade would reunite Mack with a DC that knows how to use him and provide the Bears with draft capital while leaving a gaping hole at Edge obviously. Saves the bears about 5 million.

Texans get 9, 20 and 41 this year and a 1st in 2022 and 2023 for Watson. This gives the Texans 4 first round picks including 2 this year while preserving the Bears 2nd round picks as well as keeping Roquan with the Bears. If you want to include Roquan in the deal then you just drop one of the 1st rounders. Watson would cost 10.5 million against this year's cap.

Cap
The cap effect of all these moves would be that the Bears have 28 million in cap space this year and 85 million in 2022 inclusive of Watson's 10.5m cap hit this year and 35 million cap hit next year.

Re-Signed

Allen Robinson - 5 years 80 million with 15 million SB and first 2 years of salary guaranteed. First year cap hit of 10 million. It is not the 18 million+ ARob wants but is 16 million AAV which is the best I think he gets during COVID. I also think with Watson on board, ARob relents a bit on his demands.

That leaves me with 18 million or so for the rookie pool which will be lower with no 1st rounder as well as to sign modest vets like Edwards, Mingo etc. That still sets me up with 70 million for 2021 and all my picks 2nd round and beyond to really built a team around Watson.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
52 - Dillon Radunz - Versatile OL that can replace Massie at RT with some ability to potentially play LT in the future.

83 - Jordan Smith - Long and athletic 3-4 LB that can start the process of finding a replacement for Mack.

163 - Anthony Schwartz - Another speed guy that can eventually replace Miller who is in the last year of his deal. Watson is one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL so having Mooney and Schwartz stretching teams deep with ARob and Kmet working underneath would make for a lot of options.

200 - Joshua Kaindoh - Another long Edge prospect that can fill the RRH role as someone that can play Edge or add some weight to play DE. Falls in the draft due to season ending injury.

218 - Alaric Jackson - Played T in college but projects as a guard Need to keep adding to the OL to see if some of these development guys stick.

223 - Ihmir Smith-Marsette - Another vertical WR who also has return skills. Not as big as CP but a good replacement for him as a returner and another vertical threat in the offense.

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Apparently we're about to ruin of lives and trade for wentz

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Inspired by Windy's Mock Offseason but the goal here is to completely remake the team and shift the focus away from relying on defense.

Released

Extended
Fuller - 4 years 48 million first year cap hit of 11 million (saves 9 million). Fuller got 14m AAV on his last deal but that was when he was 3 years younger. As this new deal takes him thru his age 32 season I dropped the AAV down to 12m on the assumption that he has less prime years left and this is post COVID.

Hicks - 3 years 27 million first year cap hit of 7 million (saves 3 million). Same concept with Hicks. New deal will take him thru age 34 season so dropped his AAV from 12 million on his last deal to 9 million here.

Trade
Broncos trade the 9th and 41st picks to Bears for Mack. This trade would reunite Mack with a DC that knows how to use him and provide the Bears with draft capital while leaving a gaping hole at Edge obviously. Saves the bears about 5 million.

Texans get 9, 20 and 41 this year and a 1st in 2022 and 2023 for Watson. This gives the Texans 4 first round picks including 2 this year while preserving the Bears 2nd round picks as well as keeping Roquan with the Bears. If you want to include Roquan in the deal then you just drop one of the 1st rounders. Watson would cost 10.5 million against this year's cap.

Cap
The cap effect of all these moves would be that the Bears have 28 million in cap space this year and 85 million in 2022 inclusive of Watson's 10.5m cap hit this year and 35 million cap hit next year.

Re-Signed

Allen Robinson - 5 years 80 million with 15 million SB and first 2 years of salary guaranteed. First year cap hit of 10 million. It is not the 18 million+ ARob wants but is 16 million AAV which is the best I think he gets during COVID. I also think with Watson on board, ARob relents a bit on his demands.

That leaves me with 18 million or so for the rookie pool which will be lower with no 1st rounder as well as to sign modest vets like Edwards, Mingo etc. That still sets me up with 70 million for 2021 and all my picks 2nd round and beyond to really built a team around Watson.

Need to call this the ifs, buts, and nuts mock offseason. Fuller might not agree to that extension, Denver might not want Mack at that price, and lastly, the Texans may have a better offer of decide not to trade Watson at all.

Pipe dream really.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Why would the Broncos make that trade? They still have Bradley Chubb and Von Miller. Mack isn't worth a 1st and 2nd in the year 2021.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why would the Broncos make that trade? They still have Bradley Chubb and Von Miller. Mack isn't worth a 1st and 2nd in the year 2021.

Miller would be 32, in last year of deal with 22m cap hit and coming off injury. Mack is younger, better, and more durable. They could simply cut or trade Miller who may be done as a elite pass rusher anyway. Mack would be 17.2, 17.7, 22.7 and 23.2 million over the next 4 years.

Last edited:

Applefan

Liked Posts:

Released

Extended

Trade

Cap

Re-Signed

Where is our pass rush supposed to come from?

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No way Robinson would take $16 mill a year. More like $19-20 mil.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Updated with draft. Basically doubled up on OL, WR and Edge.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anytime someone can mock Watson to the Bears, I'm all eyes. That said, the Broncos need secondary help like nobody's business and will draft one, maybe two of them in the first three rounds.

That said, I like it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anytime someone can mock Watson to the Bears, I'm all eyes. That said, the Broncos need secondary help like nobody's business and will draft one, maybe two of them in the first three rounds.

That said, I like it.

Yeah I could see them going for CB but so much of what Fangio does is driven off of getting pressure with just 4 guys that I think having Mack and Chubb makes AJ, Callhan, and Micahel O much better.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I could see them going for CB but so much of what Fangio does is driven off of getting pressure with just 4 guys that I think having Mack and Chubb makes AJ, Callhan, and Micahel O much better.
Callahan is injury prone everyone else is coming off injury except Simmons. In a pass happy league, in a division with Mahomes and Herbert, you can only hope to contain the QB. Broncos need help at every level.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Nobody in their right mind is giving up the ninth overall pick for what's left of Khalil Mack. And also a second too? No way. Not in a million years.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nobody in their right mind is giving up the ninth overall pick for what's left of Khalil Mack. And also a second too? No way. Not in a million years.

He is 2nd Team All Pro, made the Pro Bowl, and was the top graded edge defender per PFF. Fangio is smart enough to know his biggest problem in 2020 was Pagano.

Callahan is injury prone everyone else is coming off injury except Simmons. In a pass happy league, in a division with Mahomes and Herbert, you can only hope to contain the QB. Broncos need help at every level.

Agreed they need help at every level. Just saying with a Fangio D, it starts with getting pressure with 4 guys.

He will get it easily.

I guess we will have to wait and find out.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Need to call this the ifs, buts, and nuts mock offseason. Fuller might not agree to that extension, Denver might not want Mack at that price, and lastly, the Texans may have a better offer of decide not to trade Watson at all.

Pipe dream really.
Welcome to mock drafting. You must be new to the internet.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Well that was another very unrealistic mock offseason.

I could make this team into a super bowl team if we're just making up trades that will never happen.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
He is 2nd Team All Pro, made the Pro Bowl, and was the top graded edge defender per PFF. Fangio is smart enough to know his biggest problem in 2020 was Pagano.
Also entering his age twenty-nine season, which is typically right around the time his position group starts to really fall off. Injuries have been a growing problem for him. Statistical production isn't there, which doesn't matter to me but does affect his perception around the league. Oh, he's also one of the three highest paid defenders in the entire NFL still.

My guess is you maybe get that second for him from a team who thinks Mack can be part of a broader all-in push. Realistically though more like a third. Certainly not a top ten pick with another second rounder attached. I admire you trying to find a way to make a Watson deal something other than a suicide pill but I'm not sure there is a way.