God says,"Pay Russell Wilson!!"

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
What about Brees and Roethlisberger? Wilson was #15 in passing yardage last year. I would take Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers over Wilson. Even Romo was looking better than Wilson last year. Regardless of how the numbers shake out, Wilson is still strictly a middle-of-the-road QB that some team is going to overpay for based on Super Bowl appearances that he would not have gotten without the talent around him. He is still a good QB and deserves way more than what he is currently making. I would not be excited if the Bears were the team to overpay for him. I would of course root for him and hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see him coming to a team filled with nobodies and doing what Rodgers, Manning, or Brady could do for that team.

Tell me a bit more about this "talent around him"? Specifically I'm wondering how their offensive side of the ball stacks up against other teams.

I should add, there's an important item around timing when becoming the highest paid QB in the NFL. Currently the 3 highest paid QBs are Rodgers, Ben and Cam in that order. One thing they all have in common is that they all recently did their deals. The Wilson contract will be done 1-2 years from now weather it's Seattle or another team. When that happens the Aaron Rodgers $22M/season average won't be this untouchable number and he might not even be the top paid guy (Andrew Luck can be extended next offseason).

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's just failed logic. You can't bash him for one throw while ignoring many other ones (like the dime he dropped on Kearse the game before in GB). Look at his whole body of work. He's worth the money.

As for not being a pocket passer he's got a very impressive passer rating. Are you suggesting that's all of read option or something?

Sure I can. They're called defining moments for a reason. I thought I'd get that response but unless you're the cause of championships, you can't blow them and expect to be top paid at your position.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I still think Brees and Worthlessburger are very good. Wilson is probably one of the most dangerous QBs in the league right now though.

Seattle would be dumb not to sign him to a mega deal.
Wilson probably deserves a deal in Cutlers range, top 7-12 QB money, if you base it on individual performance. He has played clutch in certain situations, but paying him based on wins while not factoring the influence of the top defense which he has had the luxury of playing with his whole career would be foolish. Over his 3 year career, Sea has given up 165 points less than the next best team SF, that is a crazy 22% less PPG then the next best team. Ranking first in points allowed each season.

SF is an interesting comparison, as they had a stellar D (2nd and 3rd) in 2012 and 2013 and a good running game with a QB many thought was the next big thing (cough, cough, Spartan), they went 11-4-1 and 12-4 those years, once the defense fell to top 1/3, 10th place, in points allowed CK lead them to a playoffs missing 8-8.

It's pretty easy to see that happening with Sea if God decides to have Wilson to gobble up 21% of his teams salary cap.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Tell me a bit more about this "talent around him"? Specifically I'm wondering how their offensive side of the ball stacks up against other teams.
I don't understand your logic, the Sea offense ranked 9,9,10 in PPG and passing TD's ranked 8,10,22 while being led by Wilson, all while playing with a D that ranked 1,1,1 in PPG. He is undoubtedly good, but we are talking about him wanting to be the BMOC of the NFL payroll. It's pretty easy to see that the offense is just trying to not lose games, ala Trent Dilfer in Balt.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about Brees and Roethlisberger? Wilson was #15 in passing yardage last year. I would take Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers over Wilson. Even Romo was looking better than Wilson last year. Regardless of how the numbers shake out, Wilson is still strictly a middle-of-the-road QB that some team is going to overpay for based on Super Bowl appearances that he would not have gotten without the talent around him. He is still a good QB and deserves way more than what he is currently making. I would not be excited if the Bears were the team to overpay for him. I would of course root for him and hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see him coming to a team filled with nobodies and doing what Rodgers, Manning, or Brady could do for that team.
I should not have over looked Tony Romo...he has pretty good career on a team that is just now climbing its way out of mediocrity. I would put him above Wilson and Big Ben came in just behind Wilson only due to age (That is why I have Luck above Manning).

You can argue Brees & Rivers, but that's another back nine situation. If I am investing in a QB...give me someone under 30 that has gotten better every year in the league.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

You would take a 33, gonna be 34 year old Rivers over Wilson? Not a real smart move.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Good QB, but vastly overrated. He has benefited immensely from that defense and a crazy home field advantage. Making him the highest paid player in the NFL makes as much sense as it would have to make McMahon the highest paid player of his time.

If he gets the money he is looking for, esp. if it is with a lesser talented team will make Cutlers contract look like a steal.

lol......Russ Wilson's name shouldn't even be in the same sentence as jay. jay is a POS compared to RW.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Maybe the Bears find a way to coax Wilson into coming to Chicago.

It'd be enjoyable to see Wilson and Rodgers play at least twice a year

I wish "HIGHER FORCE" COULD MAKE IT HAPPEN

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Maybe the Bears find a way to coax Wilson into coming to Chicago.

It'd be enjoyable to see Wilson and Rodgers play at least twice a year

Does Wilson come with his defense too? Last I saw Green bay dominated him.

As far as him getting paid, well it was going to happen and he can point to his last two superbowl appearances. Thing is when he gets paid that money will they lose defensive pieces?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
it may not be the smartest thinking, but it's partially how players are paid. Without wilson's level of play at the qb spot seattle can't afford to go out and get avril/bennett and they wouldn't have been able to resign sherman/thomas/chancellor. If they would have ran only with matt flynn and clipboard jesus my guess is pete carroll is cut after going 0.500 for his seattle coaching career.

I've said this before, but i watch a lot of seattle games based on my geographical locaiton (northwest coast) and my wife's a big fan. There are so many games or specific plays that seattle has no business being successful, but his ability to consistently buy time while keeping his eyes down-field in a way that's only common among a small handful of nfl qbs is a huge difference maker. Statistically he's not going to impress you, but then again he's trowing to baldwin, kearse and miller when others have bonnafide difference makers. I know qb rating is far from a perfect stat, but it's a good measure of efficency (avoiding turnovers and gaining positive yardage/scoring). Here's how he's been in terms of qb rating and who his top targets have been in terms of receptions his entire career:

2012 = 100 qb rating throwing to sydney rice (82), golden tate (68), zach miller (52) and doug baldwin (50)
2013 = 101 qb rating throwing to golden tate (64), doug baldwin (50), marshawn lynch (36) and zach miller (33)
2014 = 95 qb rating throwing to doug baldwin (66), jermaine kearse (38), marshawn lynch (37) and paul richardson (29)

i'm hoping you can take my word with this, but his ol has not been good at pass blocking. Solid at run blocking and more of the success has come from marshawn wearing down the defense throughout the game, but the pass blocking has just been bad.

So, he's had a poor pass blocking ol and his weapons have been sub par, but still has had a passer rating above 95 for his career. Only other thing to add is that he'll be 27 years old this season...

Why not pay him? From the first ota he's been a leader making lesser than great players make great plays. He elevates everyone's level of play, so again i ask, why not pay him?

As an eagles fan i'd be completely happy with them trading the farm and making him the highest paid qb. He's just that good.

great points

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

As far as him getting paid, well it was going to happen and he can point to his last two superbowl appearances. Thing is when he gets paid that money will they lose defensive pieces?

DUDE you need to look at Wilson's full body of work and read what Pegger just posted earlier.
Originally Posted by pegger View Post
it may not be the smartest thinking, but it's partially how players are paid. Without wilson's level of play at the qb spot seattle can't afford to go out and get avril/bennett and they wouldn't have been able to resign sherman/thomas/chancellor. If they would have ran only with matt flynn and clipboard jesus my guess is pete carroll is cut after going 0.500 for his seattle coaching career.

I've said this before, but i watch a lot of seattle games based on my geographical locaiton (northwest coast) and my wife's a big fan. There are so many games or specific plays that seattle has no business being successful, but his ability to consistently buy time while keeping his eyes down-field in a way that's only common among a small handful of nfl qbs is a huge difference maker. Statistically he's not going to impress you, but then again he's trowing to baldwin, kearse and miller when others have bonnafide difference makers. I know qb rating is far from a perfect stat, but it's a good measure of efficency (avoiding turnovers and gaining positive yardage/scoring). Here's how he's been in terms of qb rating and who his top targets have been in terms of receptions his entire career:

2012 = 100 qb rating throwing to sydney rice (82), golden tate (68), zach miller (52) and doug baldwin (50)
2013 = 101 qb rating throwing to golden tate (64), doug baldwin (50), marshawn lynch (36) and zach miller (33)
2014 = 95 qb rating throwing to doug baldwin (66), jermaine kearse (38), marshawn lynch (37) and paul richardson (29)

i'm hoping you can take my word with this, but his ol has not been good at pass blocking. Solid at run blocking and more of the success has come from marshawn wearing down the defense throughout the game, but the pass blocking has just been bad.

So, he's had a poor pass blocking ol and his weapons have been sub par, but still has had a passer rating above 95 for his career. Only other thing to add is that he'll be 27 years old this season...

Why not pay him? From the first ota he's been a leader making lesser than great players make great plays. He elevates everyone's level of play, so again i ask, why not pay him?

As an eagles fan i'd be completely happy with them trading the farm and making him the highest paid qb. He's just that good.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wilson deserves a contract that is the same as Aaron Rodgers. 22 million a year. Not many QBs reach 2 Super Bowls and win 1. But 30 million a year would destroy a team man. How can a team put 30 million on a QB? There is no way Seattle can field a team. That 8 million can cover all the draft picks.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
lol......Russ Wilson's name shouldn't even be in the same sentence as jay. jay is a POS compared to RW.
I always get a kick out of the goofs that see Jay Cutler typed in a post and lose all ability of thoughtful reason and comprehension. The implication is that Cutler is overpaid and to pay Wilson $30M per, would be a similar yet larger mistake. It wasn't a compliment to Cutler, but I know getting past the word Cutler without raging is difficult.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
DUDE you need to look at Wilson's full body of work and read what Pegger just posted earlier.

DUDE you have zero credibility when it comes to discussing football so shut up. As far as Pegger's QBR post that's great and all but it still doesn't account for the fact that the defense in Seattle is the main difference maker there and having Wilson eat up a good chunk of the cap doesn't help unless they think he will be the next Manning. Wilson was terrible and during the NFC Championship game against the best QB in the NFL and yet won. I'm sure you plan on giving him the credit for that win too

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

GB played good against him...but not good enough.

I couldn't care less if the defense came with him...he's a top 5-7 QB in this league. Which is a vast improvement over what the Bears currently have.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Luck is the young QB that deserves the most money. Wilson has had the post season success thus far but Luck is for sure the guy I can see winning games on his own through out the big contract years.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Wilson probably deserves a deal in Cutlers range, top 7-12 QB money, if you base it on individual performance. He has played clutch in certain situations, but paying him based on wins while not factoring the influence of the top defense which he has had the luxury of playing with his whole career would be foolish. Over his 3 year career, Sea has given up 165 points less than the next best team SF, that is a crazy 22% less PPG then the next best team. Ranking first in points allowed each season.

SF is an interesting comparison, as they had a stellar D (2nd and 3rd) in 2012 and 2013 and a good running game with a QB many thought was the next big thing (cough, cough, Spartan), they went 11-4-1 and 12-4 those years, once the defense fell to top 1/3, 10th place, in points allowed CK lead them to a playoffs missing 8-8.

It's pretty easy to see that happening with Sea if God decides to have Wilson to gobble up 21% of his teams salary cap.

At this point he probably deserved top 3 pay...not sure if he's gonna be the highest paid player. You can't really argue with his track record up to this point though. He's been a model of consistency even dating back to his college years.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
DUDE you have zero credibility when it comes to discussing football so shut up. As far as Pegger's QBR post that's great and all but it still doesn't account for the fact that the defense in Seattle is the main difference maker there and having Wilson eat up a good chunk of the cap doesn't help unless they think he will be the next Manning. Wilson was terrible and during the NFC Championship game against the best QB in the NFL and yet won. I'm sure you plan on giving him the credit for that win too

Are you implying that there would be little drop off with a TJack led Seahawks team?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Wilson deserves a contract that is the same as Aaron Rodgers. 22 million a year. Not many QBs reach 2 Super Bowls and win 1. But 30 million a year would destroy a team man. How can a team put 30 million on a QB? There is no way Seattle can field a team. That 8 million can cover all the draft picks.
2 things about the $30M/season:

1 - If it's done in 2 years that would be 3 years removed from the Rodgers deal. It's possible for the salary cap to move up 10-20% by then.

2 - it's a negotiation. If his agent opened up the discussion with the least amount they would take he wouldn't be doing his job.

$22/M/yr might be good. With the cap escalation it might be $24-25M by then. If that was my target I'd open negotiations at $35M just to see how the other side reacts.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Are you implying that there would be little drop off with a TJack led Seahawks team?

Clearly. I happy you managed to read that in my paragraph. The fine print was so small that I thought no one would see it. Since you already saw where I mentioned T jack Ill just clear up the rest and say that if Wilson eats up a large chunk of the cap it could harm the defense which is a big strength on that team. If the defense dips and the team doesn't miss a beat then we know Wilson is the real deal but fornow I don't think he should be the highest paid player ever. He should get paid well but highest? That should go to Tjack