Goff will be the best player in the NFL

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rams beating Vikings is positive for Bears, obviously. Goff spent entire game in the zone. Impressive.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure how you don't come away impressed with Goff. The Vikings Defense has been beat up two weeks in a row, but make no mistake they still have some very good players and Goff made them look like a HS squad.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Cutler’s rate+ was anywhere from 92-104 with the Bears, excluding his five games in 2016 with a rate+ of 85. His passer rating was right around the league average, but the league is filled with backups, rookies, journeymen, and players on their last leg any given season,so most long term starters are 105 or better, something Cutler never did once. So Cutler was about average when considering starters, backups, rookies, etc... but towards the bottom for starters when he was on the field. When we also consider his injury issues, which were among the worst for all starting QBs, Cutler was probably the worst long term starter in the modern NFL beyond Bradford.

Agree with this. To me, the 'tipping point' with the didshereallysaythat Cutler fanbase narrative was in 2013. Up to that point, the rationalization was always "Cutler needs more weapons around him". The 2013 Bears offense was almost historically unprecedented in that they almost had a 1300-yard rusher in Forte, and two 1300-yard WRs in Marshall and Jeffery (Marshall had 1421 yards, Jeffery fell short at 1295)...they also had Martellus Bennett at TE having his only (in retrospect) good season.

With all these weapons, Cutler's Rate+ was a middling 103 (teammate Josh McCown's was 129) and his W-L record was a middling 5-6. If ever a QB in NFL history has proven to be mediocre beyond a shadow of a doubt, it was Jay Cutler.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
My guess is Baker Mayfield.

Cant wait till bears fans say we should have drafted him.
They already are, even though it would have meant starting Glennon all of last season and then somehow getting to pick ahead of the 0-16 Browns.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Goff looked terrible his rookie year:

54.6 completion percentage
5 TDs
7 Ints

63.6 QB rating

Apparently it's hard for some people to understand, but a lot of young QBs are very bad early in their careers and wind up being excellent players.

Trubisky isn’t a rookie anymore

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Last night I finally understood why the Rams took him #1 overall. That throw he made to Kupp in the corner of the endzone, on the run is a throw most QBs can only dream of making. Mitch included. He'll NEVER make that throw. Mahomes on the other hand...he can make that throw all day.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Last night I finally understood why the Rams took him #1 overall. That throw he made to Kupp in the corner of the endzone, on the run is a throw most QBs can only dream of making. Mitch included. He'll NEVER make that throw. Mahomes on the other hand...he can make that throw all day.

You mean that shit throw that 2 defenders let go right by them? Any QB can make that simple throw.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
You mean that shit throw that 2 defenders let go right by them? Any QB can make that simple throw.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with Troy Aikmans reaction on that one over your EXPERIENCED QB analysis. I mean what would Troy Aikman know about a great NFL throw?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Ya Troy has more eyeballs then the rest of us. I'll go with what he said because the talking heads are always right and fans are always wrong.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agree with this. To me, the 'tipping point' with the didshereallysaythat Cutler fanbase narrative was in 2013. Up to that point, the rationalization was always "Cutler needs more weapons around him". The 2013 Bears offense was almost historically unprecedented in that they almost had a 1300-yard rusher in Forte, and two 1300-yard WRs in Marshall and Jeffery (Marshall had 1421 yards, Jeffery fell short at 1295)...they also had Martellus Bennett at TE having his only (in retrospect) good season.

With all these weapons, Cutler's Rate+ was a middling 103 (teammate Josh McCown's was 129) and his W-L record was a middling 5-6. If ever a QB in NFL history has proven to be mediocre beyond a shadow of a doubt, it was Jay Cutler.

But is he the worst prolonged starting QB in the modern era? That would be the real question.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Give it a few days and then the next “greatest” player in the NFL will probably emerge.
I thought Mahomes was this player

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The same Goff who once played way worse than Mitch? lol No, he will be good, but just another example of giving someone time.

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
But is he the worst prolonged starting QB in the modern era? That would be the real question.

I actually had a thread about this topic on CCS...on a sidenote, not only was I banned from CCS, but my entire account and all of my old postings were physically removed from the site permanently. Can you imagine that? Treating a sports discussion forum as if it were the USSR Politburo? It's crazy.

Anyways, I found only 3 QBs in NFL history who were comparable to Cutler in tenure length with one team and mediocrity. Lynn Dickey of the Packers was the definition of a hot-and-cold QB, Jay Fielder of the Dolphins who would usually 'lead' his team to the postseason, and Mike Pagel of the Colts who would end up playing every year due to bad drafts and injuries to other QBs.

The normal pattern is if a mediocre QB has a long career, he will bounce around from team to team as kind of a 'stopgap' guy (like Ryan Fitzpatrick) but never staying with one team, or he will stay with one team and will alternate great seasons and below average seasons. What is unique about Cutler is that he had such a long tenure with the Bears and never had a 'teasing' great season...it was just year-after-year of average and poor seasons. Again, couple this uniqueness with the fact that Cliff Stein made Jay Cutler the highest paid player in the NFL, and it's beyond comprehension.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Goff is certainly looking like a baller, but let's slow our roll here calling him the best OP. It's important to remember you were one of Cutler's biggest nut garglers here, so your QB evaluation skills aren't quite up to par with the average poster on CCS, which is a bar set pretty darn low.

I remember when didshe bet me that Cutler would surpass his Bears numbers with Gase when Cutler joined the Dolphins, I never pushed to collect on that bet because it was literally taking candy from a baby

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
My own personal "tipping point" was 2012.

I liked Cutler under Martz from 10-11. It wasn't elite but it was productive and steady. I was on Jay's "side" with disputes between Martz and him.

I switched in 2012.

When Tice took over and sucked as OC, I realized Cutler needed too much around him to be considered good.

The JAX game under Tice where the D was playing lights out and even Tice had opened up the playbook and had big plays for Cutler that he missed (and eventually hit on so late that we FINALLY ended up blowing the doors off JAX when JAX was begging us to stomp them so much earlier way back in the 2nd quarter) ..

... that's when I lost faith in him and couldn't get faith back even with a new OC in Trestman and I was all aboard the "sign McCown" wagon when Josh stepped up in WASH and consistently ran that system like he was elite. My heart sank when Emery signed Jay to the big deal.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Let me ask you.. who after Kramer in 95 had a better statistical year than what Cutler averaged out to on the Bears? If he wasn't average league wide, then whatever, that's even worse. It's about time the Bears get a QB decision right!
I especially like this quote here. Original statement was "my argument for Cutler was that he was an average QB" (lie) which then eventually leads into this post "if he wasn't average league wide" ....... ? League wide? What else are we averaging here?

Nothing this particular poster posts ever makes sense.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The nfl needs some up and coming qbs. Wish one of them is a bear though lol. After the Brady brees rivers roth retire there is allot of bad at the qb position. Goff and mahommes right now brings some hope