Good Read on Hendry's Tenure

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
New Direction For The Cubs?

Pretty sad the non spending Marlins have a better record then us since 03. Spending huge money isn't the best way building though the draft and cheap free agents is the way to go IMO look at the Braves.

Last edited:

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
"The Marlins actually develop their farm system and rebuild from within the organization. Hendry has yet–at any point in his tenure–to be willing to follow a plan that would entail some form of a youth movement. That type of managing usually does not translate into being successful. Even the Yankees and Red Sox have followed a blueprint that allows a big market team to be successful while still utilizing their farm system."

Been saying this 4/years, the Marlin farm system is so good they can dump talent before paying out top $$ and still compete. The Cubs system has gotten better, but trading away a prospect for any BP guy from AZ is a blunder. Not sure what the thinking was there, if any. I've always been a big Bill James fan, he's done a nice job in Boston.

Yet according to Rickets, "Nothing is wrong" with the Cubs.

Really?, then why is it we all knew this was a .500 club barring injuries 2 months ago?...lol

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why exactly are we using wins? Let's look at playoff appearances. 3-1, Cubs win.

I love how they say he failed because we didn't win a world series. This is an absolutely terrible read.

The fact that the Marlins have a better record than the Cubs since 2003 is enough to prove that Hendry’s strategy is not one that a successful baseball organization would follow.

No, that does nothing to prove that Hendry's strategy is one that a successful baseball organization would do, considering the Cubs have been more successful than the Marlins.

Terrible Article.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
They do have two WS titles though.

Its an effective way to run a team that doesn't have a great following but its not the way a big market team should be run.

If you have the money, spend it.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Why exactly are we using wins? Let's look at playoff appearances. 3-1, Cubs win.

I love how they say he failed because we didn't win a world series. This is an absolutely terrible read.

No, that does nothing to prove that Hendry's strategy is one that a successful baseball organization would do, considering the Cubs have been more successful than the Marlins.

Terrible Article.

Regardless of the article, the Cubs are at #6 in payroll going into 2011 w/a .500 ball club. That is solely JH's dep't. If you're truly happy with the product on the field relative to what was paid for, then you'll be content w/mediocrity I guess.

I want winners, and if you want to charge me Wrigley prices then I expect winners...not overpaid average talent.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
Regardless of the article, the Cubs are at #6 in payroll going into 2011 w/a .500 ball club. That is solely JH's dep't. If you're truly happy with the product on the field relative to what was paid for, then you'll be content w/mediocrity I guess.

I want winners, and if you want to charge me Wrigley prices then I expect winners...not overpaid average talent.

You weren't happy with the 2007 and 2008 teams? The garbage we are seeing now is the byproduct of overspending to try to win those two years and I am ok with that. We should have went further into the playoffs.

It was worth it. Those years were magical.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
You weren't happy with the 2007 and 2008 teams? The garbage we are seeing now is the byproduct of overspending to try to win those two years and I am ok with that. We should have went further into the playoffs.

It was worth it. Those years were magical.

We should have went further in the playoffs?...how about showing up first.

We had zero playoff success, and we are still paying for those 2 collapses. Outside of Piniella's post-season 2007 blunders, I was satisfied w/that season going into 2008. I assumed we would see a natural progression that year, like we just witnessed w/the Bulls. We ended the year watching a steaming pile of manure, and a washed up manager incapable of filling out a line-up card.

Then along came Milton Bradley...a direct result of Jim Hendry's poor character assessment.

We have the highest ticket prices in MLB, at least give us a .500 club on it's way up.