Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good for him . I still refuse to admit the L in the very contentious discussion about tendering him. The tender Pace was offered was worthless. If Pace wanted him, he should have put the bigger tender. If he didn't, he should have gone no tender. Or something like that. I honestly don't remember the details but I remember being upset for some reason.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That’s one of the the very few calls that Pace got right.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That’s one of the the very few calls that Pace got right.

Nope he actually didn't. The difference between the non draft tender and 2nd round tender was 1million. If he had put the 2nd round tender on him and the Saints still wanted him, he could have perhaps negotiated a trade and gotten something for him.

See above. This doesn't change my position at all. Pace should have placed a 2nd round tender on him. 1m was worth the risk and the potential to get draft picks from someone.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too bad for the guy- in the couple of games I saw him in before injury, he legitimately got open.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Nope he actually didn't. The difference between the non draft tender and 2nd round tender was 1million. If he had put the 2nd round tender on him and the Saints still wanted him, he could have perhaps negotiated a trade and gotten something for him.

See above. This doesn't change my position at all. Pace should have placed a 2nd round tender on him. 1m was worth the risk and the potential to get draft picks from someone.
Nope.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nope. He was a medium size fish in a kiddie pool

Which has nothing to do with whether Pace should have tendered him at 1.9 million vs 2.9 million. 1 million changes nothing in the grand scheme of things and Pace routinely blows that kind of money. We are currently carrying 1.75 million in dead cap space for Trey Burton on the 2021 cap when he hasn't played for us since 2019. Our combined dead cap was 19 million this year. So pretending like 1 million made a difference is laughable.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I agree with Remy. At the time, it seemed a no-brainer. If Pace didn’t want him at all, there was no reason to give any tender. And if Pace wanted him, them at least make a team pay some compensation if you do happen to lose him.

Unless you think Pace never wanted CM, but wanted to feign a show of respect to “prove” he was treating players right, while secretly praying someone would steal him away so he didn’t have to pay him…

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which has nothing to do with whether Pace should have tendered him at 1.9 million vs 2.9 million. 1 million changes nothing in the grand scheme of things and Pace routinely blows that kind of money. We are currently carrying 1.75 million in dead cap space for Trey Burton on the 2021 cap when he hasn't played for us since 2019. Our combined dead cap was 19 million this year. So pretending like 1 million made a difference is laughable.

And that very same season, Pace chose to pay Dion Sims another 6 mil after a disastrous first season even though there was a clean option out of his contract with no dead cap. Sims ended up with 2 receptions, and was never seen in the NFL again. Also of note, there is no guaranteed money in any RFA tender.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace and the cap has been an issue for forever. I suppose some was about hedging bets when inheriting a very weak roster but we're still in that sort of cap limbo after 6 years. He still has this thing about falling in love with a player and making sure he's top bidder regardless of price or will do a quick close by overpaying, extending guys early for top dollar etc. He's not all bad as a GM and appears to be learning but he needs to stop kicking the that much money down the road.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And that very same season, Pace chose to pay Dion Sims another 6 mil after a disastrous first season even though there was a clean option out of his contract with no dead cap. Sims ended up with 2 receptions, and was never seen in the NFL again. Also of note, there is no guaranteed money in any RFA tender.

Exactly. I could understand this if Pace was a penny pincher. The guy routinely holds onto plays he shouldnt blowing millions in the process and people still bring up Cam as if 1.9m vs 2.9m was going to sink the team. And as you said not even guaranteed.

We already have almost as much dead money for 2022 that Cam's 2nd round tender ie 2.8m due to Leno being a June 1 designated cut.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
CCS….. where old arguments never die.