Goodell made $44.2MM in 2012

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/goodell-made-44-2-million-203244098--nfl.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell made $44.2 million in 2012, according to tax returns the league has submitted.

Goodell earned $35.1 million in salary, bonus and pension compensation. Based on IRS reporting guidelines, his total 2012 compensation includes a $5 million incentive payment and a $4.1 million pension payment from the 2011 lockout year that was paid in 2012.
The league's revenues have approached $10 billion and its TV ratings dominate all other programming.
''Commissioner Goodell's compensation reflects the value of his leadership and the success of the NFL at the highest levels,'' said Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, a member of the league's compensation committee. ''His significant accomplishments continue to strengthen our game, our business and our leading position in the sports industry.''
League general counsel Jeff Pash was second on the list of executives' pay with $7.86 million, and he had $1.23 million in deferred compensation. Executive vice president Eric Grubman was at $4.243 million, with another $527,000 deferred.
''The NFL owners determined that the NFL under Goodell is the best-run sports league and has a great future,'' said Marc Ganis, president of SportsCorp, a Chicago-based consulting firm, and close observer of the NFL. ''They felt Roger's performance warranted his compensation to at least be comparable to the highest paid commissioner, which has historically been Bud Selig.''
Selig is believed to earn a salary in excess of $20 million.
''The people who decided his performance warranted this compensation are the same people who are paying it, the 32 team owners,'' Ganis added. ''They decided that Goodell's performance was worth a little more than $1 million for each of the teams - a very rational decision based on the extraordinary results Goodell has delivered for them.''
---
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what the big deal is here. he's the commissioner of the biggest, most profitable and popular sport in the us. as long as it doesn't go against the bears salary cap, who cares.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what the big deal is here. he's the commissioner of the biggest, most profitable and popular sport in the us. as long as it doesn't go against the bears salary cap, who cares.

I'm not sure anyone said it was a big deal. :shrug: Just passing along an article.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
But whats his cap number?

patg006

Liked Posts:
Meh.

He's the commissioner. He got picked and paid by the owners/profits.

David Stern of the NBA got 23 mil in 2012/13, so 44 for a more popular American sport isn't that far-fetched.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd do it for half that!

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it is amazing that he gets paid that much for doing his job in a manner that I think most of us disapprove of. They really pay him 44 million to be an asshole? Remarkable.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it is amazing that he gets paid that much for doing his job in a manner that I think most of us disapprove of. They really pay him 44 million to be an asshole? Remarkable.

He doesn't work for us he works for the owners and the owners love him.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
First and foremost he is being compensated for being out in front on the ass-raping cba the owners imposed on the players. After that, he is being rewarded for whitewashing a violent nasty sport well enough to make it the king of family entertainment and a giant money train for the owners.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Phat stacks to ruin football. Fuck dat dude.

I find this response funny.

He's ruining football by fining players for off field stuff, not the fact that players are breaking the law.
He's ruining football by changing the rules on head contact, not the fact that former players have serious long term affects from playing the game.
He's ruining football by renegotiating what was an unsustainable CBA without missing a single regular season game.

The most beautiful part of what he's done is that he's taken all the criticism head on and never deflected anything.

The owners were more than happy to pay him over $44M because he's directly made them way more in a sustainable way with making them come off as the good guys.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:

The owners are benefiting from all of his moves, but getting none of the heat. IMO he's the best commissioner in pro sports.

proton

Liked Posts:
All these asswipe CEO's make way too much money. He no doubt spent many a day sucking the owners nuts and kissing their asses.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First and foremost he is being compensated for being out in front on the ass-raping cba the owners imposed on the players. After that, he is being rewarded for whitewashing a violent nasty sport well enough to make it the king of family entertainment and a giant money train for the owners.

He didn't make it anything. It was the most popular sport before Goodell and would still be without him.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
He didn't make it anything. It was the most popular sport before Goodell and would still be without him.

True, the NFL was the most popular sport when he took the helm. But what he earned is a small fraction compared to the growth of the NFL and its revenue under his watch. The CBS package earned him that alone. If that is what the market will bear, good for him. As the majority of that $44MM is a bonus, clearly the benchmark must be profitability.