got bored, made a cutler trade mock

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
little bored, little excited by all the free agency talk. made a mock centered on rebuilding, if we're gonna do it let's do it right

Trade:
pick 7, Cutler, Forte
for
pick 2, Zach Mettenberger, 2016 conditional 4th/5th round pick

~43m cap space

FA:
FS McCourty: 10m
DE Hardy: 10m
CB House: 7m
ILB Foster: 4m
WR Royal: 3m
TE Fasano: 2m
rookies 5m
cap spendings: ~41m

Draft:
1. DE Leonard Williams
2. OLB Nate Orchard
3. RB T.J. Yeldon
4. OL Donovan Smith
5. DE Derrick Lott
6. RB Josh Robinson
7. OL Miles Dieffenbach
UDFA HB/FB Hunter Joyer

Roster:
DE: Hardy, Williams, Lott, Sutton
DT: Ratliff, Ferguson
OLB: Houston, Orchard, Young, Shea, Bass, Washington
ILB: Foster, Bostic, Jones, Lattimore
CB: Fuller, House, Jennings, McMannis, Louis-Jean
SS: Mundy, McCray
FS: McCourty, Vereen
(25)

QB: Mettenberger, Clauson, Fales
RB: Yeldon, Carey, Robinson
HB: Hunter Joyer
WR: Jeffery, Wilson, Royal, Mariani, Bellamy
TE: Bennett, Fasano, Miller
OT: Bushrod, Smith, Mills, Ola
OG: Slauson, Long, Leno, Groy
C: Garza, Dieffenbach
(24)

LS, K, P

2016 needs:
1. QB
2. WR
3. OL
4. TE
5. NT

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
little bored, little excited by all the free agency talk. made a mock centered on rebuilding, if we're gonna do it let's do it right

Trade:
pick 7, Cutler, Forte
for
pick 2, Zach Mettenberger, 2016 conditional 4th/5th round pick

~43m cap space

FA:
FS McCourty: 10m
DE Hardy: 10m
CB House: 7m
ILB Foster: 4m
WR Royal: 3m
TE Fasano: 2m
rookies 5m
cap spendings: ~41m

Draft:
1. DE Leonard Williams
2. OLB Nate Orchard
3. RB T.J. Yeldon
4. OL Donovan Smith
5. DE Derrick Lott
6. RB Josh Robinson
7. OL Miles Dieffenbach
UDFA HB/FB Hunter Joyer

Roster:
DE: Hardy, Williams, Lott, Sutton
DT: Ratliff, Ferguson
OLB: Houston, Orchard, Young, Shea, Bass, Washington
ILB: Foster, Bostic, Jones, Lattimore
CB: Fuller, House, Jennings, McMannis, Louis-Jean
SS: Mundy, McCray
FS: McCourty, Vereen
(25)

QB: Mettenberger, Clauson, Fales
RB: Yeldon, Carey, Robinson
HB: Hunter Joyer
WR: Jeffery, Wilson, Royal, Mariani, Bellamy
TE: Bennett, Fasano, Miller
OT: Bushrod, Smith, Mills, Ola
OG: Slauson, Long, Leno, Groy
C: Garza, Dieffenbach
(24)

LS, K, P

2016 needs:
1. QB
2. WR
3. OL
4. TE
5. NT

43 million in cap space and the only OLB help you give us is Orchard with our 2nd round pick??

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Hardy project as an olb in a 3-4?

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
43 million in cap space and the only OLB help you give us is Orchard with our 2nd round pick??

yep, few reasons why:

1. the FA OLB options don't seem that enticing :shrug:
2. Hardy would be the FA pass rush addition, just from 5t/7t instead of from the OLB spot.
3. I'd like to see what shea / washington / young bring at OLB, and Houston used to play there in oakland. I've read different takes on whether he'd be better at 5T or in a 2pt stance, my initial expectation was he'd play 5T but the arguments I've seen for him at stand up rusher have been fairly convincing. He was best able to translate his strength into pass rush when he dropped significant weight from his college frame (he came into the league over 300lbs) and gained some quickness.
4. Orchard is a pretty darn good pass rush prospect in my opinion, there's a lot of talk about the top 3, and i think he's getting overlooked. he had 18.5 sacks last year and showed well at the senior bowl, mayock called him one of the two most impressive defenders (along with Shelton). Adding him to all those bodies gives you enough opportunities for pass rush. his knock is holding up at the point of attack against the run, but like Pace has said, the number one priority for OLBs in our scheme will be pass rush capability.
5. The key of course would be fielding three very good linemen in front who can all get to the passer and defend against the run, which Fox/Fangio would be able to do with this DL. Houston/Young being able to put their hands in the dirt helps immensely for front look versatility, as well. I am a big fan of the combo Rex Ryan fielded with Wilkerson/Richardson and would love to emulate two big, strong ends with pass rush capability. Houston/Hardy/Williams gives you a ton of flexibility for that (multiple skill sets that can line up in multiple places, but all strong with pass rush ability) as well as front variation and substitution.
6. spending money on a safety who can play single high effectively and on a young promising press/man corner allows you to be more aggressive with your front 7 and your coverage schemes.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Hardy project as an olb in a 3-4?

i don't think he has the fluidity/quickness to play OLB. but he was a successful pass rusher and very good run stopper at 300lbs (11 sacks at 300, then dropped to 275 to fit at 43 DE better and went up to 15 sacks). I think you could put him in an aggressive 34 scheme closer to 300 lbs and he could be pretty beastly. value may still be higher as a 43 DE because of his explosiveness, but might come at somewhat of a bargain (or on a short prove-it deal) while he's dealing with the legal stuff. I think at that weight he could bounce between 3T, 5T, and 7T with success.