Greatest Free Agency Class

Kush77

Liked Posts:
This came up in another thread and I think it should be a great topic on its own.

Better free agency class

2010 - James, Wade, Bosh, Stoudemire, Boozer, Johnson, Lee, maybe Dirk.

1996 - Jordan, Shaq, Reggie Miller, Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning, Dennis Rodman, Juwon Howard

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Jordan was 33 years old...nothing as promising as Lebron at 25. Rodman? 35. Lebron, Wade and Bosh trump Jordan, Shaq and Payton at this point because of the ages of the players involved. I have no doubt this is the best class of any thus far...by the way...Juwan Howard?????

Kush77

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Jordan was 33 years old...nothing as promising as Lebron at 25. Rodman? 35. Lebron, Wade and Bosh trump Jordan, Shaq and Payton at this point because of the ages of the players involved. I have no doubt this is the best class of any thus far...by the way...Juwan Howard?????

At the time Juwon Howard was a sought after player. He didn't get that huge contract for his good looks.

Remember the Miami Heat originally gave him about a 90 million dollar deal but it was voided by the league. The Heat would of had Mourning and Howard on the front line. But after it was voided he resigned with Wash. Turned out he didn't live up to the deal. I would compare him to David Lee when it comes to this list.

From an age standpoint I could understand.

I would group it as Jordan. Shaq, Mourning vs. LeBron, Wade, Bosh. Then it gets a little closer. Jordan vs LBJ, the age factor favors LBJ. Shaq trumps Wade and Mourning Bosh would be even imo.

Reggie Miller vs. Joe Johnson. Amare vs Gary Payton? Interesting.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
I just looked it up. Howard deal was 101 million with the Heat, which was voided. The he signed for 105 with Washington. Man.

EDIT - he averaged 22pts and 8 rebs in 1996. Not bad. But he was a free agent after only his second year in the league. He must of had some opt out. Talk about striking at the right time.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I just looked it up. Howard deal was 101 million with the Heat, which was voided. The he signed for 105 with Washington. Man.

EDIT - he averaged 22pts and 8 rebs in 1996. Not bad. But he was a free agent after only his second year in the league. He must of had some opt out. Talk about striking at the right time.

Well heck man, Tom Gugliotta got a mother lode back then too. But deals from the past like Howard and Gugliotta are the reason guys like Lee might not get such a comparable deal...

speaking of which...I am going to send you the link to the fantasy league probably tomorrow. You can then choose what team you want...and if you know of anyone else who wants to run a franchise, let me know. I will also tell you what pick each team gets in the lottery coming up if you pick your team before Tuesday...

Kush77

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Well heck man, Tom Gugliotta got a mother lode back then too. But deals from the past like Howard and Gugliotta are the reason guys like Lee might not get such a comparable deal...

speaking of which...I am going to send you the link to the fantasy league probably tomorrow. You can then choose what team you want...and if you know of anyone else who wants to run a franchise, let me know. I will also tell you what pick each team gets in the lottery coming up if you pick your team before Tuesday...

Is this a keeper league? So I'll be picking a team that already has a roster?
Is it full keeper or only a certain amount of players?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Is this a keeper league? So I'll be picking a team that already has a roster?
Is it full keeper or only a certain amount of players?

1. Its a keeper league with 3 keepers max...
2. The team you pick will have the full roster and you will pick your keepers from them.
3. After you decide your team, I will let you know what pick to watch for in the draft lottery Tuesday. Where that team picks, your team picks...

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Digging through the archives I found a bigger list of free agents form 1996.

The most sought-after players will be centers Shaquille O'Neal, Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo, guards Michael Jordan, Gary Payton, John Stockton, Tim Hardaway, Hersey Hawkins, Reggie Miller, Latrell Sprewell and Kenny Anderson and forwards Dennis Rodman, Juwan Howard, Sam Perkins, Dale Davis, Brian Williams and Horace Grant.

1996 vs. 2010

I'm still gonna vote for 1996. I didn't know Stockton was a FA that year. Hersey Hawkins was solid. Tim Hardaway and Grant were FAs too. 1996 was deep.

Top 8
James, Wade, Bosh, Stoudemire, Boozer, Johnson, Nowitzki, Lee

vs

Jordan, Shaq, Mourning, Payton, Mutombo, Stockton, Miller and Howard/Grant.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
This is more even I think than 1 would think. Id take LeBron at this point over Jordan than, cause MJ was 33 and being wishy washy on his contracts, signing 1 year deals till the end of time. Reggie and The Glove vs. Wade and Johnson, I may go Wade and Payton, cause I think Wade is alot closer to Reggie in talent than The Golve is to Johnson, Payton was like 100X better. Overall front court possibilities are much better this year. You had THE Shaq Diesel in 1996, which in and of itself is more dominant than any 2 big men on the 2010 list combined, but Bosh, Stoudamire, Boozer, Lee, Dirk, you have 4 all-star big men who blow Rodman and Howard out of the water.

So where does that leave me...due to LeBrons aga and I think willingless to leave now and the depth of this years big men, Im taking 2010, but its a hell of a discussion....good stuff Kush

Kush77

Liked Posts:
mlewinth wrote:
This is more even I think than 1 would think. Id take LeBron at this point over Jordan than, cause MJ was 33 and being wishy washy on his contracts, signing 1 year deals till the end of time. Reggie and The Glove vs. Wade and Johnson, I may go Wade and Payton, cause I think Wade is alot closer to Reggie in talent than The Golve is to Johnson, Payton was like 100X better. Overall front court possibilities are much better this year. You had THE Shaq Diesel in 1996, which in and of itself is more dominant than any 2 big men on the 2010 list combined, but Bosh, Stoudamire, Boozer, Lee, Dirk, you have 4 all-star big men who blow Rodman and Howard out of the water.

So where does that leave me...due to LeBrons aga and I think willingless to leave now and the depth of this years big men, Im taking 2010, but its a hell of a discussion....good stuff Kush

You left out Mourning and Mutumbo. That's quite a few defensive player of the year awards there.

If we look at the frontcourt we have Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo, Grant and Howard. Vs. Bosh, Stoudemire, Boozer, Nowitzki, Lee. hmmmm.

I'd take Shaq over Bosh
I'd take Mourning over Stoudemire
I'd take Dirk over Mutombo
I'd take Boozer over Grant
And I would take Howard over Lee. Or Grant over Lee.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Hmm, the interesting thing with Mutombo was he remained a good player for another 7 years after that, not sure Dirk will provide that longevity. So I could see that one going the other way. And I think I'd be pretty disappointed if Lee didn't turn out to be better than Howard, Howard never came close to living up to his deal. He was the 4th highest paid player in the league and never made an all star team after signing it.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
Hmm, the interesting thing with Mutombo was he remained a good player for another 7 years after that, not sure Dirk will provide that longevity. So I could see that one going the other way. And I think I'd be pretty disappointed if Lee didn't turn out to be better than Howard, Howard never came close to living up to his deal. He was the 4th highest paid player in the league and never made an all star team after signing it.

You're right. I didn't look at it from that view, when it came to Dirk vs. Dikembe, for some reason.

Mutumbo won what, another 4 DPOY awards. Dirk is already 31/32.

Lee vs. Howard. Yes, Howard didn't come close to living up to that deal. I can kinda see Lee doing that. His scoring numbers, I believe, benefit from playing in D'Antoni's frantic offense. Lee could sign a big deal with say NJ, and I couldn't see him putting up 20ppg. He'll still get his boards, but I'm not sure if he can score 20 a game outside of NY.
And when he signs for whatever he signs for, fans will expect 20/10, and they might not get it.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
96 had better talent but no one actually switched teams besides Shaq. If the 2010 guys actually move around then it will be better. Otherwise, you gotta go with 96. You had the two most dominant players in the league as fa.

Fred

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Yeah, because the salaries really took a downward turn from the Gugliotta and Howard deals through 2008. Come on. The Gugliotta and Howard deals are not the reason guys won't get paid this year. Some of the deals signed from 2003-2006 are insane (see Peja). The only reason guys like Lee won't get a comparable deal is because the private sector economy tanked at the end of 08, hit quasi-depresison levels in 09, and continues to suck. Despite that, Gordon got paid.

Fred

Liked Posts:
Jordan would win 2 more titles (he won his 4th before coming a free agent in 96) as the best player on his team and the best player in the league. He was no ordinary 33. Shaq was entering his prime, and he would win 3 titles as the best player on his team for the Lakers (sorry Kobe lovers...Phil said so in his 2004 book). That's 5 titles (Shaq one another as a supporting member for Wade).

Wade has one. Dirk and LeBron have come close once. No one else on the 2010 list have come close to sniffing a title. We'll see, but I'll go with Jordan at 33 and Shaq in his prime every time.