Green and Bostic

jc456

Liked Posts:
By stating that "the RB should never get to the outside of Green and Bostic." If that isn't their assignment (not playing contain), then there is no reason that a RB getting outside of them is a knock on their play; that's an issue of the DE or S not getting his job done.
Well first Green is on the outside and Bostic is in the middle for the cut back. It states that after the word Bostic. See, since the linemen are in contact with the other teams linemen, it is predicated that the LBs get the running back if a lineman cannot get off the block. What I see in the game is that Green is too close to the line of scrimmage and is not able to stop the runner from gaining the edge and turning the ball upfield. That is the outside LB responsibility when the running back is coming his way. It is not to be engaged with a lineman on the edge where he is too far inside that he can't contain the back from gaining the edge. LBs are the second level. The same words apply to them as the words do for the linemen. BTW, the Safety and CBs are the third level unless the safety is up.

Oh and when it's a pass play, the OB is responsible for the running back coming out in the flat or help on short slants by the WR or a TE out.

Green has responsibility from the tackle to the sideline and Bostic has responsibility between the guards and Anderson has the tackle out to the sidelines on the other side. A running back is not expected to get around the OBs.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not in a 1-gap system. In a 1-gap (which is what we play, by the way), each of the front 7 is responsible for his gap; not for reactions to whomever misses or succeeds on their assignment in front of them.

It varies depending on the play called, but in general (given a standard alignment): the NT covers his A gap (weak side A), the Mike covers the other A, the 3-tech is on the strong B, the Will is on the back-side B-gap, and the ends run contain/C (the strong side DE is responsible for the gap between the guard and TE), while the Sam sets the strong-side edge.

Only one LB is responsible for contain in that scenario is the Sam (i.e. not one of the rooks). That is, that the only LB responsible for tackling outside the ends is the Sam. (again, this changes depending upon alignment and play call)

This whole "Bostic has responsibility from the tackle to the sideline and Bostic has responsibility between the guards and Anderson has the tackle out to the sidelines on the other side. A running back is not expected to get around the OBs." Is bullshit...at least in this system.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Not in a 1-gap system. In a 1-gap (which is what we play, by the way), each of the front 7 is responsible for his gap; not for reactions to whomever misses or succeeds on their assignment in front of them.

It varies depending on the play called, but in general (given a standard alignment): the NT covers his A gap (weak side A), the Mike covers the other A, the 3-tech is on the strong B, the Will is on the back-side B-gap, and the ends run contain/C (the strong side DE is responsible for the gap between the guard and TE), while the Sam sets the strong-side edge.

Only one LB is responsible for contain in that scenario is the Sam (i.e. not one of the rooks). That is, that the only LB responsible for tackling outside the ends is the Sam. (again, this changes depending upon alignment and play call)

This whole "Bostic has responsibility from the tackle to the sideline and Bostic has responsibility between the guards and Anderson has the tackle out to the sidelines on the other side. A running back is not expected to get around the OBs." Is bullshit...at least in this system.
My bad I meant Green had responsibility for the gap from the tackle to the sideline. Bostic has guard to guard up the middle and off guard.

And what I see is Green pinched in on top of the DE not in his gap and getting caught in their unable to get to the running back out on the edge. The running back then goes for 10 to 25 yards.

I think I saw the running back last night wave as he went by him a couple of times.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I'm not a Bostic fan at all. I didn't really care for the pick when he was drafted, I just didn't see much from the guy beside a big hit here and there. I think everyone got a chummy once he made that big preseason hit, still he's been pretty bad this season.

I feel for Emery. He really wanted Kiko.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My bad I meant Green had responsibility for the gap from the tackle to the sideline. Bostic has guard to guard up the middle and off guard.

And what I see is Green pinched in on top of the DE not in his gap.

Yeah, I knew what you were going for there. But; Bostic (usually) has the strong side A gap (center to guard on the side with the TE), and Greene is most often just concerned with taking on whomever is in the gap between the guard and tackle on the back side (the weak side DE usually runs contain [and if he crashes down, then the Will has to cover to the sideline]).

And, yes, both the rooks have been blowing those assignments (like I've been saying the entire time); but you can't just blame it on them when Peppers gives up a 10+ yard run to the outside when that was his assignment like he did last night. [see extensive other examples of the line not taking care of their jobs here]

My point is that we don't run a 2-gap where the DL's job is to simply occupy the O-line and let our LBs make tackles. That's not how this system works. If our DL is breaking down and not covering their assignments so is the LB core, and vice versa.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bostic and Greene weren't any good, but the DTs were just as bad. There were runs where there was a hole created by the DT because they were bull rushing the guard sideways???

really odd stuff. Anyway, it's going to be tough to stop teams on the groud if the front line is constantly losing the trench battle. Briggs will help, but he can only do so much.

As Pegger said it is a combination of things.

By no means is the DL making it easier on the LBs to do their job. They are glued to the OL and not disengaging and controlling the line with their hands.

The LBs are going to the wrong spots and they are reacting late to what they are seeing, these are rookie issues and inexperienced issues. They are thinking too much instead of knowing and reacting.

I still have hope for them, there is a lot of ability, but they are getting their baptism by fire and they are not reacting well right now.

running bear828

Liked Posts:
I used to think it is Tucker. I have changed my mind. Maybe Bostic & Green are not smart enough to handle the NFL. They seem to bite for the same play over and over. Bostic is always over persuing the run. Maybe they need more time. But you would think that eventually they would get it. As for not able to shed their blocks that is a strength issue that will /should be resolved in the off season.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:

By no means is the DL making it easier on the LBs to do their job. They are glued to the OL and not disengaging and controlling the line with their hands.

The LBs are going to the wrong spots and they are reacting late to what they are seeing, these are rookie issues and inexperienced issues. They are thinking too much instead of knowing and reacting.

I still have hope for them, there is a lot of ability, but they are getting their baptism by fire and they are not reacting well right now.

For me it all starts on the DL. If LBs have OL on them there's a problem. If the only person that's got a shot at the RB is the secondary then you've got a problem with your front 7.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
For me it all starts on the DL. If LBs have OL on them there's a problem. If the only person that's got a shot at the RB is the secondary then you've got a problem with your front 7.

You think?

Liked Posts:
Without a rush penetration in the c2, Joe good looks like Joe average and Joe average looks like Joe fucktard.

Pretty much. Gruden said it best last night. Without a pass rush from the front 4 in a C2 he see's no point in even playing it.

Exhibit_A

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember when yall wanted bostic in there instead of DJ williams? Lmao smh .. Not to bash on bostic tho because he has potential but he needs time..

Exhibit_A

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You do know that we were playin against one of the best olines last night..
At least We broke through a couple times to pressure romo.. And spanked the cowboys..

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
You do know that we were playin against one of the best olines last night..
At least We broke through a couple times to pressure romo.. And spanked the cowboys..
One of the best? Seriously? Based on what?

Exhibit_A

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are. Gruden even mentioned it at one point of the game yesterday.. They are top ten in the league

Exhibit_A

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pegger I'm not trying to argue with u at all bro ur right our dline does stink but hopefully it will get better with ratliff in there..

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
McClellin will be starting at linebacker next season anyway. Insert Sarcastic Green Font.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Pegger I'm not trying to argue with u at all bro ur right our dline does stink but hopefully it will get better with ratliff in there..

It didn't.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Well, Kiko Alonso has 131 tackles as a rookie. Ogletree has 94. Not going to list every linebacker ever but I was always under the impression that LB was much easier to play as a rookie than othe positions. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm sure you'll tell me if you disagree.

Bingo. Even the dude from the Raiders is doing well LOL

Every year there are quite a few rookie LBS that light it up so no excuses. Our 2 are atrocious vs the run! I guess all the D.J. Williams haters are eating a little bit of crow. At least he got sacks and was solid vs the run. We held A.P. to under 100 yards earlier before garbage time. Pathetic

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Bostic and greene are fucking atrocious. Bostic has zero instincts and greene is a special teamer at best. If I were Conte, I would want knock out Bostic for exposing how bad of an open field tackler he is. I don't want to see Bostic on the field next year. Bears should groom him to play will and be briggs heir. I never want to see greene again.